Sunday, December 16, 2007

Like, duh

I occasionally offer a non-political post on the weekends. What follows is piffle.

Anachronistic slang in period films bothers me. Even a piece of fluff like Shanghai Noon -- a western comedy starring Jackie Chan and Owen Wilson -- loses me whenever Wilson spews the kind of dialog one might expect from a '90s valley dude. His line "You've lost your 'winging it' privileges" caused at least one audience member to leave the film mentally, in order to ponder whether a cowboy would ever use the phrase winging it.

Possibly yes; probably no. "Winging it" first saw print in the 1930s, although the term appears to have been used in the late 19th century by actors who had to learn their lines rapidly, while waiting in the wings.

The problem is that we lack a handy reference book designed to pinpoint the year in which a turn of speech entered common parlance. The OED addresses the issue of word origins, but few consider that multi-volume dictionary handy, and it does not concentrate on slang. Flexner's Listening to America is, I believe, out of print.

All of which brings me to the duh problem.

A number of films set in the 1970s, 60s and 50s feature characters who use the exclamation "Like, duh!" as a shorthand way of saying "Isn't it obvious?" Young people seem to be under the impression that the phrase has been in use for generations.

To the contrary. When I was a tyke, back in the 1960s, no-one said "Duh!" sarcastically.

My best guess is that Duh traces back to John Steinbeck's book Of Mice and Men, which inspired one of the many fine films released in 1939. That movie, in turn, gave rise to a number of Warner Brothers cartoons featuring characters based on Steinbeck's immortal Lenny and George.

The big stupid guy was Lenny. In one of the cartoons, he nearly dies because he has forgotten how to breathe. The animated version of Lenny would preface many statements with a long, drawn-out "Duh" -- as in: "Duhhhh, I done a bad thing, George!" "Duhhhh, tell me about the rabbits again, George!"

The cartoons saw heavy television rotation in the 1960s and '70s, thereby imprinting Lenny's dopey speech mannerisms into the consciousness of nearly everyone who grew up in that period. (We should have learned about those characters directly from Steinbeck, but reading had fallen out of fashion.) Thus, if a kid at school said something foolish, his companions might mock him by repeating his words while "doing" Lenny -- and by prefacing the statement with a long, Lenny-esque "Duhhhhh...."

At least, that was the situation in the high school I attended in the mid 1970s. Around 1980, this form of mockery morphed into a sharp, clipped "Duh!" often accompanied by the inevitable "like." Like, duh.

When did "like" become inevitable? People probably began using "like" as a slang way of saying "in the fashion of" in the 19th century, perhaps earlier: "I was walking down the street all innocent-like."

As I like remember it, the term did not see continual use as a verbal crutch until like the 1970s. We had to wait until like the 1980s to hear like a high school kid say something like:

"So I like go to the concert and there's this like guy who's all like Rastafarian, and I'm like, 'Hello? This isn't like Reggae...'"

When did like and all become slang replacements for the verb to say? My memory may be tricking me, but I believe that like was used in the fashion in mid-1970s, while all began to be used a decade later. We had to wait until 1985 or thereabouts to hear a locution of this kind:

"I'm like, 'Don't do that shit,' and he's all, 'I'll do whatever shit I want.'"

At some point in the 20th century, Americans decided to define the phrases he said and she said in terms of exact quotation. For inexact quotation, people substituted the verb to go for to say:

"So he goes, 'I'm not joining no Army."

I wonder when this usage of go began? The early 1900s, I would guess, although I am far from sure. At any rate, only older people go in this fashion nowadays. The young use like and all.

Is it possible that my suggested slang chronologies are incorrect? Duh! That's why I'm all, "We need like a reference book." And like if you folks want to correct my memories, I'm all like, "Go for it."

Do people still say "Go for it?"

14 comments:

Peter of Lone Tree said...

Happy Holiduhs, Joe.

Anonymous said...

My recollection is that "like" was originally considered beatnik slang, say about 1960. The standard teen equivalent at that time was "you know." But "like" got picked up as part of basic hippie lingo and spread into the general population from there.

As far as "goes" goes -- I don't recall it being substituted for "says" before the 1970's. At least, I started noticing it taking over for several basic verbs, around then -- not just "says" but also "becomes," as in "when the dinosaurs went extinct."

Prior to that, I don't remember seeing it anywhere outside of little kids' picture books -- "bow wow goes the dog, meow goes the cat" -- and I've always assumed that was where it started. But, of course, I could be wrong . . .

lee said...

Does not the young droog Alex, whilst eating eggiwegs, and from 'is gorlo, horn; "I, like, didn't say anything." (1961) Sure it's Nadsat and all, but like, you know...

and who could forget 'lil Buddy i.e. Gilligan, before he took that '3 hour tour' was the "beatnik" Maynard G. Krebs (well before Shaggy and Scoobie), he was like, always going "like" you know?

when it became a discourse marker, or a speech-disfluency is harder to pin down-- especially, like, when you consider that it's been used in Welsh English as a linguistic filler or at the end of a sentence for a few hundred...

And don't forget that Winston taste good LIKE a good cigarette should

...But ultimately there is one person to blame for this-- 14 year old Moon Unit Zappa. And finally we got the last laugh as her final book got ignored by all media --mainstream and online-- (apparently people were busy with other things the day she released the tome)

Anonymous said...

A little research suggests that "like" had been dying out after the beatnik/hippie period until it was revived in the 80's as part of the surfer/Valley girl thing -- and that it took on its more recent extensions of meaning during that phase. See the long discussion of "like" and related issues here.

Pushing the chronology back in the other direction, one of the slang dictionaries I have kicking around the house suggests that the original hipster use had a philosophical basis with Yiddish influences. I have *no* idea what that means -- part Zen, part Talmudic? -- but it sounds good.

lee said...

Starroute what kind of meshugenah drek is that?? Talmudic? You sound like someone from jewwatch.com when you say stuff like that... Oy! I mean i know that is not what you are like-- but to even try to attribute it to the Talmud, like my Bubbah used to say; "Afh yenems tukhes is gut sepatchen"*

"Gleich"(like the Anglo Saxon gelīc both meaning 'similar') is German. Not yiddish. And, find me a language that does not have linguistic fillers. If you want to blame anyone, blame the Spanish for their muletillas, or the Russians for their 'vermin words'

[*it's alway easy to spank someone else's ass]

Joseph Cannon said...

"And, find me a language that does not have linguistic fillers."

Latin?

Perhaps Caesar actually said "Veni, vidi, similis Vici."

Or as Father McSurfer once put it, "Kyrie similis eleison, Christe similis eleison, Kyrie similis eleison. You know?"

I very much appreciated starroute's link.

And yes, Little Alex in the Book of Burgess did indeed say all the like things unto his droogies that have been like ascribed to him. Is it not stated in the Film of the Book that "The omni ones depend on like inspiration and what Bog sends?"

nolocontendere said...

My grandfather, who was born in the 1880s and an immigrant from Sweden, used "he goes" for says for as long as I could remember. Whether that was a trans cultural trait or not I don't know.

Anonymous said...

Ah Lee, Lee. We're talking about philosophy here -- not linguistic junk DNA.

The impression I got -- from a very condensed definition in a 1968 abridgment of a 1960 slang dictionary -- was that the original-era hipsters had some sort of metaphysical resistance to stating too definitively that anything *is* something else, and therefore resorted to replacing "that is" with "that's like" as a means of conveying their sublime indifference to mere objective certainty.

And, further, that this particular metaphysical stance of neither-this-nor-that-ness might have been partially rooted in the subtleties of traditional Jewish logic.

Even in its current dumbed-down state, "like" still conveys a profound intimation that all attempts at precise description are doomed to fail, to fall into mere approximation -- which I suppose means that whoever that original hipster prophet was, he must have been doing his job.

(And, Joseph, won't you agree there might have been a lot fewer religious wars in the West if the church fathers had thrown in a bunch more similis's?)

Anonymous said...

So, I'm like looking for the etymological origins of "my bad" - whatever.

Anonymous said...

Mr. Cannon, Did you see where "Lowlife Lieberman" came out in support of McCain. I guess there is one good thing to come out of Al Gore being cheated out of the 2000 election-we didn't get a Repug in sheeps clothing posing as a Democrat. Also was wondering about your opinion on what the Republicians are trying to do with the electorial college in your state [allocate votes according to congressional district]

Joseph Cannon said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Joseph Cannon said...

Lieberman: Well, I can't believe that I once thought Al Gore made a good move when he chose that guy. What was I thinking? What was Gore thinking?

California: The scurrilous attempt to change the way we vote will probably go down to defeat, but it will take money. Money that should go to the candidates.

What is REALLY horrible are the tactics used to scrape together signatures. People are being hoodwinked.

Anonymous said...

I'd agree with the Maynard G. Krebs popularization of "like," and suggest the Simpsons' "D'oh" as being the primary vector for "duh."

I wouldn't give the superficial and amateur "Milcax" article more attention than necessary. It's just a term that its author made up last year, and he's been spamming it on a number of forums.

Any article starting with "The speech of today's young English–speaking people is filled with words and expressions not found in formal English which greatly enhance the sound of their talk, making it very expressive and colorful" tells you how deep its perceptions are.

Calbonics taught in the schools, when they can't write standard English yet? Sheesh.

Look on Ebay and see if you can get a used CD-Rom of the OED some day. It's really worth having. I'd recommend Eric Partridge's
books on slang for mid-20th century and earlier terms.

Anonymous said...

pse colloquial, and with a boldness that one might employ because they are older, willing to act unabashedly "momish" or *getting reckless here...whatever! *winking...JEEZ! Wake up man!I am sure you still have a pulse..act that way!"Do people still say.."Listen to yourself!. Get out there and find out! Or is your hermitage just that cozy(dripping with sarcasm) Relive a little Dylan and"get busy livin'" I implore you; carpe whatever you can, for as long as you can! I'll even give you a reason:I thought my time to march and protest was past;I fear we will have to lead this new group by the hand..eat your wheaties and don't worry kid,I'll show ya how it's done! Hey, I even have a wheelchair pusher lined up,just in case :)