Saturday, June 27, 2009

Scammin'

Well, it's moving time again for yours truly. While in the process of locating digs, I came across a couple of marvelous new scams which deserve wider attention. These days, most home rental stuff goes through Craigslist. Alas, finding the real ads amidst the con artistry is a task akin to picking Hershey's kisses out of a bucket of horseshit.

Scam 1: You come across an ad that seems marvelous: A three-bedroom for $1000 a month. Lots of lovely interior shots illustrate the text. But there are two problems:

1. No phone contact number -- just an email address.

2. No specific location for the property. You are told only that it exists in Los Angeles County or the Inland Empire or whatever.

So you write to the email address, politely asking: "Where is the property located? And what is your policy on well-trained Havanese Hell-hounds weighing 16 pounds?"

In response, you receive what seems to be a personal letter from the property owner. Unfortunately, the response does not answer your questions. That's a clue.
My inbox was flooded yesterday with inquiries so I'll do my best to answer some of the questions:

1) Cable, wireless internet, heat, water, and electricity are included in the monthly rental fee.

2) The security deposit amount depends on your credit score.

3) Move-in can begin as early as next month.

4) I haven't gotten around to taking more pictures yet but I will be taking groups of interested parties for showings later this week.

Due to the overwhelming response I've included a preliminary rental application for any interested parties. I only want to converse with people who are serious about actually moving into this property. So if you are interested in a showing and further information, please fill out the attached application and email it to me so that I can get back to you soon.

I've attached the application. Please reply with the application or copy and paste the answers onto the reply email.
The application seems normal enough -- until it gets to your credit history. You are asked to use a "free" credit check service, bearing a name you've never before encountered. A hyperlink takes you to the service's website.

At which point, if you are a trusting soul, you will fill out all sorts of deeply personal information, including your Social Security number. Nowhere on the site will you find a street address for the company. You have no way of knowing if the company is real.

You've just made life easy for grifters and identity thieves.

Needless to say, there is no rental unit available. The "credit report" is the whole point of the operation.

Even "real" free credit report companies are not free. You've probably seen the TV ads featuring this smarmy slacker. If you use this "free" service, your credit card will be dinged $14.95 a month -- month after month. Even when you try to cancel, the dings continue. You have to telephone the company to get off their system.
You are dealing with a company who has been subject of multiple class action lawsuits, fines by the FTC totaling $1.25 million and over 8,400 complaints with the Better Business Bureau.
It's fitting, methinks, that the company spokesperson appears on TV dressed like a pirate. That's truth in advertising. (Just like that classic old Burger King jingle: "Ain't nothin' like the real thing, baby.")

Incidentally, I am not accusing Consumerinfo.com (the actual name of the company behind the pirate commercials) of running fake Craigslist ads.

Scam 2: Many cheap rental ads turn out to be not rentals at all, but schemes to take over payments on a property in foreclosure. Perhaps such offers are legit -- but if they are, why not make matters clear up front?

Scam 3: Then there's the ever-popular rental agency scam, which advertises a rental unit at an unbelievable price. You call the contact number only to discover that you are dealing with an agency which wants you to pay $170. For that fee, you will receive a piece of paper listing available rentals. The agency representative will assure you that the such-a-bargain unit in the ad is still available. It will disappear the moment you fork over $170.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, you forgot the one with the incredibly low price in the title so it comes up in the search, but in the body is the different, inflated price.

And this one: you call and you get a quote. Your roommate calls and they quote a higher price because there is more than one party interested.

Ms. Vandal

Anonymous said...

Identity theft is yet another good reason to steer away from credit and anything that requires credit history checks. That getting a lease for a home or apartment is tied to that silly standard is very unfortunate. I'd like to see some actual numbers to support that it significantly reduces rent delinquency and broken leases.

...I'm trying very hard to avoid going off-topic and into a credit industry rant. I'll settle for at least that hint of a rant.

Anonymous said...

Another good one happened when I advertised a service there: I got a response the same day, wanting to set up regular service at a level that would provide a nice tidy little cash flow for me, and behold, they would pay up front! All I had to do was send them my resume, full name, address, telephone number, and other stuff you don't want to tell strangers. I cautiously responded with first name and general neighborhood, and a request for their personal info. Got back a nice proposal that we close the deal immediately: they were out of town, but their personal representative would meet me, give me a check for the full amount owed me for my service, plus (for unstated reasons) $300. I would give them the $300 difference. What a great idea!

Yeesh.

Anonymous said...

If it sounds too good to be true...it probably is. The most personal information is attached to the social security number, and the government has created a system that's ripe for scams. I think the ss number should be used as it was intended, only for tax information. Other entities, e.g. schools, credit bureaus, etc., should use their own id numbers.

glennmcgahee said...

Joseph,I am going through the exact same thing at this very moment. I've been getting all sorts of calls from Real Estate brokers I never called all of a sudden. Simply by calling about an unbeleivably priced apartment. It wasn't available, but I was told there were many more that would suit me. Two of the places I was referred to I found to be in the process of foreclosure. That would be first, last and security only to find myself dumped onto the street as soon as the property was siezed. These are sleazebags and I urge anyone to do a County property search before handing over any money. Of course, I'm in South Florida where every other home is apparently in some form of default.

Joseph Cannon said...

The sleaziest of the sleazy are the people who "recently moved to West Africa" who are renting houses at unbelievable prices. Of course, they exist solely to collect the first month's rent and the deposit. I imagine that they must have confederates in the US to make the scam work.

Actually, many years ago, I lived in a apt/condo unit not actually owned by the guy to whom I paid rent. He kept insisting that he owned the place free and clear until the bank kicked me out. That sort of thing happens more than you might realize. Now I check out who owns the property via the tax assessor's office.

Anonymous said...

I work in an apartment complex office. Security should be set by state law. For example, in NJ it is 1 1/2 mos rent. Must be deposited in a local bank escrow acct, name and address provided. We get credit reports, but applicants must give written consent and pay the fee.

No legitimate landlord runs ads that don't say where the property is located and/or a phone number.

It's also a good idea to check your state's landlord/tenant laws before signing a deal with anyone.

Tina Tequila said...

There is also the scam on a property that does not exist or,my personal favorite....renting out what isn't yours. This happens more than we know. Hell,once is one time too many.

Anonymous said...

good to read these comments about craigslist...there seems to be a lot more BS in the housing rental market than before. And the predatory lending continues under the new president. I replied to an ad in craigslist where the owner had moved to England. Immediately i called them out. Sometimes these people succeed.
Incredible. I think Bush set an example that corruption is our new value..anything goes