Sunday, June 28, 2009

Random notes

During this blog's the one and only fund-raiser, I promised to draw cartoons for those who wanted them. A few of you took me up on that offer. Apologies; I've been swamped by life, particularly by the requirement to change residences. Also, there's the earning-a-living thing. That always sucks. I'll get to the cartoons when life has settled down. (Also, I plan to get back to that AIG story I mentioned.)

Looks like I may move into an anicent fixer-upper, receiving reduced rent in exchange for doing some of the fixing. It looks like a haunted house, which is cool. Bob Vila I ain't, but -- well, hell, any port in a storm.

I've been scouring many home improvement sites and have noticed one very frustrating thing: Nobody wants to talk money! If you hope to compare costs on (say) a replacement kitchen countertop, you must wade through endless pitches and watch videos and descide on color and style and complete a form and only then are you told the per-square-foot cost. How can they ask me to choose which color/design I want without first informing me as to which options are cheap and which are expensive?

As you can see, my mind has been on non-newsy things during the past few days. Is Obama still in charge? Or is it now President Biden?

Can you imagine how Biden would react if something like the Monica scandal were to happen to Obama? "Hell yeah he ought to be impeached! The country's going to hell in a handbasket! This thing could lead to nuclear war any minute now! Better put me in charge, pronto!"

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I figured that Obama picked Biden for the same reason Poppy Bush picked Dan Quayle - impeachment insurance.

MrMike said...

Get everything in writing as to the amount of rent, length of the lease, expected repairs and improvements.
What will there be to prevent the landlord from raising the rent or evicting you after you make improvement to the property?
It's been a while since I leased an apartment or rental property but one thing I remember there was language in the agreement surrendering certain tenant rights and landlord obligations.

Anonymous said...

Is the reduction in rent strictly for your labor? If so, how much time are you expected to put in per month to meet the agreement? Will you be expected to pay for materials, or will those be supplied by the landlord?

I'm with MrMike - get it all in writing.

OldCoastie said...

pick up the August 09 Consumer Reports magazine... lotta good info in there for home improvement stuff (I'm having to fix up my place this summer)... countertop price comparisons, flooring options - very helpful.

Anonymous said...

Blue Sky shopping can involve endless research and comparisons. One way to simplify (and save money as well as time!) is to restrict your choices by shopping at the places that handle used and second-quality and odd-lots of building materials.

tqp said...

God forbid any scandal should engulf the Obama Aministration, but if it does--there's one thing I've always known about Biden. When it hits the fan, he'll bow out, (and quick) leaving the job to Mystery Appointment. This quality in Biden (willingness to acquiesce) is why he was chosen vice, and it's just about the only thing I like about him. After the nightmare of the last year, I'm actually alright with Mystery Appointment and his likely choice(s) for sidekick.

checks watch

Are they here yet?