Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Technical note

Firefox 3 officially opens for business today. A while back, I began to have issues with the old Firefox -- weird shutdowns became a daily annoyance -- so I switched to the Beta of 3. Everything has run perfectly, and speeds are notably swifter. The zoom feature helps those with imperfect vision: You can increase not just the size of the text, but the entire page.

The Flashblock add-on is a must. If you allow Flash to run unfettered, you run into these bizarre "endless loops" which eat up all of your CPU. With the block enacted, you run only the flash items that you choose.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good stuff. Thanks for getting the word out to people. Especially in regards to Flashblock. That add-on was a lifesaver on dial-up.

OTE admin said...

Thanks for the information, Joseph. I just upgraded my browser.

orionATL said...

thanks joseph

this is very timely for me.

i started using firefox a month or so ago.

i love it for its "print the page out as it is" feature, something microsoft could never bother itself to do.

and because it does not shut down peremptorily like IE 6.0 does

but i sure hope the new firefox has a better speller than the last version because i'm a terrible typist.

katiebird said...

I was using FF3 for a while but it didn't work with Corrente -- I got an error box and the whole browser shut down every time I went to just that site.

Do you think the Flashblock thing would solve that?

Joseph Cannon said...

Well, I have no trouble with Corrente. It might have been a temporary thing with their server...

Raw Story is always a big issue for me. You just cannot visit that site without Flashblock.

gary said...

Check out hot Firefox girl at:

http://www.eontarionow.com/technology/2008/06/17/firefox-3-beta-ready-for-download/