Sunday, February 24, 2008

Awful

Jen here...

I know this blog tends toward lighter fare on the weekend and it's Oscar night and all, but I couldn't wait any longer to post on this horrifying story about a family whose critically ill baby died after being detained by Homeland Security/Customs officials in a Honolulu Airport over an alleged paperwork snafu.

A lawsuit is in the offing, and I wish the grieving relatives the very, very best with it.  Beyond that, the grotesque and shameful nature of this tragedy makes me feel too guilty to write much else, except to remind anyone who needs reminding that if you think this couldn't happen to you, you've got some major denial (or worse) to work through.

3 comments:

Joseph Cannon said...

Jen, I'm glad you brought this to our attention. My god, what a story! You just know that if that baby were anglo, he would still be alive.

Anonymous said...

Everything about this incident (which really should be called a crime) is just...it's nauseating. I can't even think about it without getting ill. It took me two weeks to find a right way to post about it because the rage it produces in me keep shutting down my brain.

Anonymous said...

The entire process of going through airline security for domestic/international and going through customs upon arrival has drastically changed since 9/11.

I've seen the horrible sight of the airport security separating a screaming toddler from its mother in order to conduct further security checks, seen them dismantle baby carriages, force invalid senior citizens from their wheelchairs bascially to just hassle people and through their weight around. it's really bad and getting worse.

at the rate we're going, only the very rich will be able to get through the onerous security and afford to travel.