Sunday, March 18, 2007

Anti-Semitism, real and imagined

Not many days ago, this column experienced a bit of a brouhaha over charges of anti-Semitism -- the sort of charges which invariably follow criticism of the Israeli government. One of our readers, Dr. David Stern, offered a very personal and interesting response. He has permitted me to reproduce his email. His words appear below the asterisks.

* * *

In order to place my comments in their proper context, I must tell you a bit about myself. I am Jewish - or at least partly so. I was born and raised Jewish, allowed to date only Jewish girls through high school, and joined a nominally Jewish fraternity in college. Judaism remained my sole source of spirituality until around the age of 30, when I discovered that the many of the concepts and practices of Zen Buddhism were more satisfying. Still, I observe many Jewish holidays, and try to teach my daughter a little about the religion when I can. I have a shared experience with other Jews in growing up with Jewish traditions and experiencing the mild-to-moderate emotional challenges of possessing an often-misunderstood identity not shared by nearly 97% of my friends and neighbors, and so feel a connection, still.

The ovens of Auschwitz had barely gone cold in the minds of the adults around me when I was born in 1959. Sympathy with the Jewish State of Israel was ubiquitous, and I absorbed much of the pro-Israel propaganda I was exposed to in religious school. As a result, I started off an uncritical backer of Israel, and was agreeable to the overall concept of a Jewish State there. The inference that Judaism = Zionism was untroubling until my late teens.

In 1978 I was a freshman in college when a local rabbi came to my nominally Jewish fraternity to round up organized support for Israel. Early in his presentation, he mentioned something about how we as Jews "owed" Israel our support. I apologized for interrupting as I reminded the Rabbi that I was an American, that this nation had done a lot for me, and that I owed my loyalty to the United States. While I supported Israel, I was not an uncritical backer of Israel's actions, and I certainly would not act to support policies that were not in the best interests of my own country. Israel had done nothing for me, and I certainly did not feel like I "owed" them anything. The rabbi first looked stunned, as though I had gone up and punched him in the nose. He then flew into a rage before he abruptly packed up his stuff and left. Some of my Jewish fraternity brothers told me they felt as though I had been disrespectful of the Rabbi -- which I soundly refuted, but not a single one expressed any disagreement with what I said. Remember that, because I think it is important.

(To read the rest, click "Permalink" below)

A few short years after that incident, Israel invaded Lebanon, and I wanted to go someplace and hide, I was so ashamed. I had still not fully shaken my identity with Israel, even though I had clearly delineated limits to that association. Now I wondered how a nation supposedly founded on Judaism could act in such an immoral fashion. The continuing and intensifying mistreatment of Palestinians also led me to feel more alienated from Israel, and less inclined to be overtly supportive.

It was not until much later that I learned much about the history of Zionism and the conduct of the leaders of that movement that I had not previously known. Even later, I learned that the plight of native Jews was only slightly better than that of the Muslim Palestinians during Israel's early existence. It was at that point it became clear to me: Zionism is not, and never was about or for the protection of Jews from persecution. It was and remains a Machiavellian power move that found a way to take advantage of some basic human weaknesses and insecurities, and turn the darkest instincts of humanity to their advantage. It is only in this context that the full history of Israel's existence and subsequent conduct can be fully understood.

At this point, the Israeli government could collapse from the inside, and after mercifully limited period of bloodletting, reorganize itself as a secular Palestine, where Muslim and Jew were forced to co-exist on equal terms, and it would be the happiest moment of my life.

Obviously, I am not typical of most American Jews, but there is a continuum of opinion and level of involvement among us. I find it personally offensive whenever anyone implies that I as I Jew, I am automatically assumed to be a backer of Israel, or as concerned with Israeli affairs as I am with those of my own country. Given my own personal history, it should seem clear why that would be so.

We Jews are not unlike our fellow Americans in any fundamental way. Most Americans are woefully informed about news and politics in the United States - and our awareness of the rest of the world is and has always been even worse. While Jews generally may be slightly better informed than average, I doubt the difference is all that significant. My point is, the reason "the Jewish Citizenry" is as ill-informed about Israel's internal political scandals is the same as the reason the rest of the country is so ill-informed: The information is not prominently featured in the major media, and most of us don't care that much -- we are too involved in our own lives and the affairs of our own country to seek out additional information about Israel, or any other nation.

People who act and/or think as agents of Israel routinely use charges of bigotry against Jews whenever they need to counter rational criticisms of Israeli conduct that are not easily justified. You should wear those charges as a badge of honor, and a sign that your criticisms are dead-on. And you should not dignify them with a response - no thinking person could possibly buy that argument, and you have no chance of reaching anyone who either agrees with it, or is motivated to go along with it, despite knowing it is a lie. It is a waste of your valuable time and energy, and robs those of us who read your blog of whatever information of value you might produce, had you not been engaging in a straw-man argument with a provocateur.

You may better position yourself to avoid or dismiss these baseless attacks if you avoid making Israeli issues into Jewish issues. If Doc Elsewhere had said, "Makes one wonder if American backers of Israel are as clueless as the rest of us about these problems. And if so, why? And dare we wonder why we hear nothing of any of this here, regardless of the presence of a strong Israeli political infrastructure in the US?" it would have forced the provocateurs to INTRODUCE Judaism into the conversation in order for them to then charge her with anti-Semitism. It also would have avoided the unfair inference that only an insignificant percentage of American Jews can be counted among those not concerned first and foremost with Israeli affairs.

24 comments:

Anonymous said...

Joseph writes:

"Not many days ago, this column experienced a bit of a brouhaha over charges of anti-Semitism -- the sort of charges which invariably follow criticism of the Israeli government."

This is a patently untrue characterization, Joseph, at least of this particular exchange. The poster with whom you were having your brouhaha made clear that he deplored Israeli policies. What he objected to was the language of dr. elsewhere (and later you yourself) in discussing Jews, without any particular reference to Israel.

Now, you could argue that his outrage was sublimated anger over criticism of Israel, but there's no no evidence of such a charge. Indeed, he (or other anons in the thread) was quite explicit in condemning Israel and Israeli policy.

You may still want to claim that this interlocutor was dead wrong, that you and dr. elsewhere are blameless (even if the "minority" is usually considered to be the expert in matters of prejudice or racism, to whom at least some deference is owed).

But why impute motives the text of the exchanges doesn't support

Anonymous said...

Joseph says.."Not many days ago, this column experienced a bit of a brouhaha over charges of anti-Semitism -- the sort of charges which invariably follow criticism of the Israeli government".

not quite accurate Cannon, furthermore..We in part were responding to your ludicrous attempt to give credibility to that outworn and hackneyed story of some "art students” (Jewish oh so very Jewish) dancing the Hora and giving each other high fives while Rom..Twin Towers burned. Oh those hateful jews must have planted the bombs inside all those really really tall buildings while peddling art inside then like all jews do.profiteering and executing terrible calamities against Gioia and company.
That is what diminishes your size Cannon that kind of hate and blindness.

Anonymous said...

sofla said....

No, the 'old' story (that nobody in America seems to have heard outside the Bergen newspaper readers) of dancing Israelis celebrating the attack, burning and collapse of the WTCs in glee (and taking souvenir trophy pictures of themselves with the towers as the backdrop to their grinning/laughing mugs) concerned the 'ex' Mossad and IDF whose cover was as HOUSEHOLD MOVERS, NOT the 'ex' Mossad and IDF whose cover was being art students selling art.

It's an understandable mistake, because the one national mainstream coverage so far as I'm aware-- the Fox News 3 or 4 part story by Carl Cameron covering these details-- was removed from their site, along with any transcript, under intense pressure from people perhaps like yourself.

People have made copies, however, which aren't that hard to find in the world wide wait, and I suggest you refresh your apparently faulty memory by viewing the (short) feature series. It's one of the rare things I'd commend Fox News for doing, although their removal of the report was rather craven.

As we approach Easter and Passover, a reminder lesson looms for the mildly observant Jew who may not know much about the religion other than observing some of the holy days, during the Seder dinner. This is instructive for Christians and others as well.

An empty place is set at the table, for the return of Elijah (a prophet who was bodily ascended to heaven while still alive, according to scripture). And among the final things said for the ritual of the Seder is 'next year in Jerusalem.'

The connection? Elijah will return prior to, and as a herald of, the appearance of the Messiah (according to scripture). And it is the Messiah who will establish the re-formed state of Israel.

Premature efforts to do so, even if apparently successful, are against God's will as expressed in the scripture, and operating against God's will is the definition of sin and evil.

Anonymous said...

20/20 covered the story of the celebrating Israeli spooks.

ABC News20/20. June 21,2001.


The White Van
Were Israelis Detained on Sept. 11 Spies?
http://www.commondreams.org/headlines02/0622-05.htm

I'd also like for you to add a link to your blog.

http://www.muzzlewatch.org/

Joseph Cannon said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Joseph Cannon said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Joseph Cannon said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Joseph Cannon said...

Anyone who thinks that I (of all people!) promulgated a bombs-in-da-buildings theory of 911 obviously doesn't know me very well. Anyone willing to ascribe such a view to me is not to be trusted in his or her characterization of anything else I've written.

Anyone who doesn't know my stance on the CD theory by NOW must be a newcomer to this blog -- someone who showed up (or who was ASKED to show up) only when the "movers and art students" story was mentioned. Did a "spooky" visitor slip up just now? I suspect so...

By the way: Anyone who thinks that the severely UNDER-reported story of Israelis using "students" to spy on Americans was somehow OVERBLOWN -- well, anyone who thinks that has fried brain cells. Let us repeat: The spies were spying on DEA offices, among other targets. And why do that, if not to protect a drug smuggling operation?

My critics' words indicate that they want all reportage of such matters to be tossed into the file marked "Do not speak of such things or I'll call you an anti-Semite." And that is precisely why we must address the question of how charges of anti-Semitism relate to criticism of Israel.

One or two of my attackers may have claimed to be themselves no fans of Israel, but that claim is, I suspect, purely a debate tactic. They still are desperate to scry racism into any text that offers non-adulatory words about the Jewish state. (Is the term "Jewish state" permitted these days? It was allowable, an even common, when I was young.)

As I will probably have to repeat several thousand times more before I die, sophists can read racism into ANY text, even a text which reads: "I know you well; you are just like me."

Which happens to be precisely what I wrote.

I am proud of my words and angry at the way a few have mischaracterized them. Note that no-one who has attacked me has ever quoted me at any length. Instead, they have relied on misleading paraphrases. What does this fact tell us?

Then again, and as I mentioned before, it wasn't that long ago when Howard Dean was damned as an anti-Semite when he called for balance in America's approach to the Israel/Palestine problem.

I wish I could speak to everyone who attacked him and say: Don't you realize what a horrible impression you've made?

To an increasing degree, the rest of us -- including quite a few Jews, methinks -- are simply refusing to put up with that kind of manipulative bullshit.

Joseph Cannon said...

I'm going to open myself up to charges of paranoia if I say this -- but when has THAT ever stopped me?

I still think it is awfully telling that the person (above) trying to call me a racist says that what REALLY bugs him is this:

"We in part were responding to your ludicrous attempt to give credibility to that outworn and hackneyed story of some "art students” (Jewish oh so very Jewish) dancing the Hora and giving each other high fives while Rom..Twin Towers burned. Oh those hateful jews must have planted the bombs inside all those really really tall buildings while peddling art inside then like all jews do."

Now, virtually everyone in the blogosphere knows that I've aroused massive amounts of hatred by opposing the "controlled demolition" theory of the twin towers' fall. Why would someone so ignorant of this blog as to be unaware of my stance show up just in time for my post about the "movers and art students" story?

Clearly, the fact that I dared to indulge n THAT bit of unpermitted speech is what bothered my visitor. Not any tales I told about my personal history.

Telling. Very telling.

The term is "sayan," is it not, my spooky friend?

See, my piece on the Israeli spy ring was not just a rehash of something printed elsewhere. It demonstrated that I have done a little (JUST a little) footwork to check out the local addresses mentioned in the DEA report and in other sources.

For example, the DEA report gave a Ventura Blvd address for one of the "art students" on the other side of the country, but the report did not mention that this was a "Mailboxes Etc." mail drop. Neither was the proximity of the art students' west coast pads to Suter mentioned. The proximity may, I admit, be coincidental...but what if it is not?

So yeah, my ladyfriend and I did drive around the city one evening, checking out addresses. And maybe someone out there is wondering whether I did other bits of double-checking.

Joseph Cannon said...

By the way: It really sticks in my craw to have a visitor to my site characterize my views thus:

"(Jewish oh so very Jewish) dancing the Hora and giving each other high fives while Rom..Twin Towers burned. Oh those hateful jews..."

When did I ever spout such nonsense? Note the utter lack of quotation. How DARE you, you lying bastard?

Anonymous said...

When, before 11.Sep.2001, I "discovered" for myself in the Internet those "Israely-Art-Students"-Mumblings, I still remeber well, thinking for myself:
"Could this be a red herring?"
- Then, just after 11.Sep.2001 hidden inside the rubble of news, there it was- somehow fitting well-"Israelis dancing etc... (as well as "dancing palestinians", but that is an other STORY.
So, you have two Teams of Players playing in front of the audience.
One part of the audience is instructed to carefully observe the red-herring-team and report on it.
The other part of the audience is instructed to observe the green-herring's teams actions.
There might be some awards offered to the part of the audience that produces more precise bservations..
Some FOX gives a hint for the left from the right, some "gatekeepers" add their hints from the LEFT for the right.. etc.
All in the meantime there is a HUGE GORILLA in the real world eating up the real world.
-

Anonymous said...

Yes, it would have been so much more humane and just for Israel to allow the PLO to seize control of Lebanon. Who could argue with that?

I will agree that the involvement with Lebanon was disastrous because not getting involved would have ruined for all time the pretense that Palestinians are gentle Ewoks.

That anyone would imagine an agency of a national government like Mossad would be shaking down people with a delivery van is so silly you have to figure the microchip the CIA put in their brain is misfiring.

Now some gang associated with the Orthodox settlers, that I can picture.


". . .it would have forced the provocateurs to INTRODUCE Judaism into the conversation in order for them to then charge her with anti-Semitism."

Indeed.


They still are desperate to scry racism into any text that offers non-adulatory words about the Jewish state.

A handy way to dismiss anyone who disagrees, handing down a mirror from your pedetal, 'See it's not a picture of me.'


One of the great themes in this tragic story is the parallel development of conservatism in the US and in Israel over the last three decades as the natural milieu of societal corruption.

This is a great opportunity for scholars because, I think for the first time, it can demonstrate an inarguable and necessary interaction between conservatism and corruption.

Joseph Cannon said...

anon 3:55 -- I'll let this stand, even though I think you've got your head up your ass. But I know what you're getting at, tranny, and I advise you to take it somewhere else.

Anonymous said...

THIS IS A TEST IT IS ONLY A TEST
Can you please list what you do like, appreciate, or respect about Jews? Just so we can all see that you really really do care about us. Otherwise you are a ahhhhhh stupid hare brained idiot and a jew "disliker".
What is a Trannie also?

sunny said...

Why would someone so ignorant of this blog as to be unaware of my stance show up just in time for my post about the "movers and art students" story?

Joseph, I kid you not- there are pro-Israeli groups using "megaphone" software to track, and counter, anti-Israeli sentiment on the web:

Israel backed by army of cyber-soldiers
by Yonit Farago in Jerusalem Saturday, Jul. 29, 2006 at 7:37 AM


Doron Barkat, 29, in Jerusalem, spends long nights trawling the web to try to swing the debate Israel’s way. “When I see internet polls for or against Israel I send out a mailing list to vote for Israel,” he said. “It can be that after 15 minutes there will be 400 votes for Israel.

WHILE Israel fights Hezbollah with tanks and aircraft, its supporters are campaigning on the internet.

Israel’s Government has thrown its weight behind efforts by supporters to counter what it believes to be negative bias and a tide of pro-Arab propaganda. The Foreign Ministry has ordered trainee diplomats to track websites and chatrooms so that networks of US and European groups with hundreds of thousands of Jewish activists can place supportive messages.

In the past week nearly 5,000 members of the World Union of Jewish Students (WUJS) have downloaded special “megaphone” software that alerts them to anti-Israeli chatrooms or internet polls to enable them to post contrary viewpoints. A student team in Jerusalem combs the web in a host of different languages to flag the sites so that those who have signed up can influence an opinion survey or the course of a debate.


la.indymedia.org

I will agree that the involvement with Lebanon was disastrous because not getting involved would have ruined for all time the pretense that Palestinians are gentle Ewoks.

Look you , compared to the Israelis, the Palestinians are new-born kittens. I've got news for you-none of us care any longer what genocide apologists think of those of us who deplore the horrors perpetrated by Israel. NOTHING you can say will push our knowledge, or our voices,back where you want them-in a black hole of silence. The genie is out of the bottle. You want to call us anti-semites for caring that people are being murdered and pushed out of their homes every day for sixty years? Go ahead, all it will reap for you is the whirlwind of condemnation and judgement, right along with the mass murderers who are directly responsible.

Joseph Cannon said...

sunny, that explains a lot.

In particular, it explains the ignorant comments of anonymous 4:52.

The plot is clear: Use Megaphone to scan the net for certain stories, especially any having to do with so sensitive a subject as the art student/mover thing, and then blast 'em with "You're a racist!" accusations -- and never mind whether the accusations have any foundation. The idea is to cow bloggers, make them feel afraid to talk about such things ever again.

Ain't gonna work.

Anonymous said...

So, does all this commentary(stone throwing) mean that this blog is going to stand up to Israeli pressure
or perhaps declare victory and go home!
I shall be watching and judging!
Zionism did not come to be what it is today by playing fair or even on level playing ground!
If I am arrested, the first person I call(if permitted) would be this very good jewish friend of mine.
Peace

Anonymous said...

I should apologize to dr elsewhere.

When you set her beside an actual Nazi like Sunny her remarks do seem pretty trivial in retrospect.

Nothing about the condition of Israel would exist now as it does without its primary enabler, The Palestinians.

Where is the Palestinian Gandhi? Why has no one and no such idea or interest ever emerged from these people?

sunny said...

When actual fascists accuse anti-war, anti-genocide, pro-civil and human rights, anti-death penalty lefty's like myself of being a nazi, I am reminded of the charges of and holocaust denial levelled against jewish critics of Israel.

Absurdly inappropriate name calling used to intimidate and stifle debate is and has been a tiresome, worn out tactic that no longer works-unless you happen to be a Democratic politician, which I'm not. Go scream Nazi! at the horribly greedy old bastards who are sucking up the money that rightfully belongs to Holocaust survivors.

sunny said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
sunny said...

This-

" I am reminded of the charges of.."

should also have read anti-semitism (levelled against jewish critics of Israel!)

Anonymous said...

dr elsewhere,
the last comment in this thread shows that there is a "Taboo" on discussing the subject of Israel and its conduct. The Taboo persists bcz like all Taboos once the subject is discussed the truth will expose the lie. And we come full circle to the Taboo.
If you are not Jewish you are called anti-semite(you yourself dr), if you are Jewish you are called self hating Ameican Jew(Dr Stern) and if you are Muslim, well you have always hated all things Jewish(a gross historical statement).
Now I wonder what you would be called if you were a born and raised Israeli Jew, a historian, a professor at Hebrew University and you write a book called "The Ethnic Cleansing of Palestine"? And question the legitamcy of creation of Israel by means of ethnic cleansing from the get go and distorting historical facts to suit your goals?
I suppose you would be called the enemy within (liberals in US are called that and Ilan Pappe gets his share of hateful name calling).
But i had a chuckle when I read the last comment, blaming Palestinians for not having a "Gandhi" takes the cake.

sunny said...

weird, weird, weird. The link embedded in the phrase "jewish critics of Israel" should have taken you here.

All of my links got wonky. One even led to my blogger "dashboard" at first, now it's correct without my having to fix it! I KNOW I didn't link that. Oh, well.

Anonymous said...

i meant to say "a historical mis-statement"