Tuesday, December 26, 2006

President Ford

AP has just announced that President Gerald Ford has died.

A member of the Warren Commission, Ford was not exactly my favorite political figure. His administration was, in some ways, the origin point for our current disaster, since Ford brought Dick Cheney and Donald Rumsfeld and Poppy Bush to prominence. The Ford administration was the era of "Team B," which rewrote and politicized all of the objective data about the Soviet military threat. As Adam Curtis' "The Power of Nightmares" documents, the neocons first gained their muscles during this period.

On the other hand, President Ford's wife Betty once did a touching favor for a member of my family. (The family member was a nurse, and Betty Ford happened to be one of her patients.) I will always respect and admire that gracious lady -- and for her sake, I must offer my sincere condolences to the Ford family.

4 comments:

Fans and Friends of Lydia Cornell said...

Yes, I too love and adore Betty Ford.

"Death always comes to the wrong president." (Clif on my blog quoted this from Americablog)

As an aside, isn't it sad and strange how the really good people, the freedom fighters are assassinated? JFK, Bobby, Martin Luther King, Jr.

This is because the military industrial complex doesn't like peacemakers. Just like the pharisees didn't like Christ.

Joseph, you said you are quitting. Is it really true? I hope not. You have a wonderful truth-seeking blog, mind and ideas.

Love,
Lydia

Fans and Friends of Lydia Cornell said...

What I meant to say was: you have a wonderful truth-seeking blog, a great mind and spirit — and great ideas.

I hope you'll reconsider.

I mean FOX network persisted through their lean years, and look at the hell they brought. We need the good people to stay.
xoxo

Anonymous said...

So that means this country is down to one living President who wasn't elected before taking office?

har har har

Anonymous said...

I hear you on the grace and benevolence of Betty Ford, Joseph. One of the best Americans and First Ladies ever.