Monday, January 01, 2007

Happy 2007: Reflections in a hopeful eye

dr. elsewhere here

This has been my longest hiatus from posting, and I would apologize except that the last time I did, I was chastised by a reader who felt I apologized too much.

The reader, I suppose, had a point. Apologies are truly boring, and they really only come across as excuses in this kind of setting. Apologies from criminals and corrupt politicians, of course, are always welcome, though those should never be trusted even if they can be extracted. But here, on this incognito blog, what is the point?

The fact is, I dove into this enterprise without much forethought. Joe extended an invitation, and I was too flattered to think, really. And, I confess, so brimming with fear and outrage and frustration about the state of things that I virtually lept at the opportunity to unload. Without a thought, as I said, for the time or responsibility or silent, internal pressures.

Naturally, reality happens no matter what your plans or expectations, to borrow and botch John Lennon's wisdom.

So call this a confession.

(To read the rest, click "Permalink" below)

Truth is, I’ve felt a noticeable shift in my psyche since the election. I know it’s dangerous to let down our defenses now, and that the citizens’ work will never be over in a democracy. But from several weeks out now, I can look back and see that we were not just working; we’ve been under siege. No one can sustain sanity under siege for very long, and I have to admit I was exhausted and becoming a bit overwrought. The level of urgency was so intense and the stakes were so high, it felt as if the whole world might crack under the pressure.

Of course, we all know it is, but let’s not let that distract us here.

I needed a break. I think we all did. Even if we take it in shifts, a break is essential.

Mine, of course, has been extended, but it’s been absolutely necessary. During that initial mid-November aftermath, I invested heavily in my interview of Elizabeth de la Vega, loving every minute of it, but underestimating the number of minutes required for such an enterprise. Renewed my admiration for interviewers, it did.

After that, I was truly spent. And then was faced with a long road trip and all the demands of preparing for that, so I had to prioritize.

And, true confession, it was an amazing relief to feel sort of ok to put this blogging frenzy in a lower gear, to deprioritize it. The world really can take care of itself and eventually self-correct without my constant vigilance. Perspective. Exhale.

So, imagine my shock and dismay to get the “I quit” email from Joseph.

The brief moments of news cruising I’ve been able to sneak in over the past week have underscored in readers’ comments the same response: SAY IT AIN’T SO!!

Another true confession: Despite my near panic at losing my daily (at least) Cannonfire fix (and outlet), I have to say I honestly do understand Joe’s burnout, and even his decision to just chuck it all. The wee contribution I’ve made here, much as I’ve enjoyed it and appreciated the opportunity and the readers, has been enormously time-consuming. And it becomes something of a responsibility to produce, especially regularly, which can then become a burden.

But that is my take on it. Joe seems to thrive on this outlet for his apparently bottomless pit of relevant but obscure data on all matters political (and then some). More than just willing to pay attention to these dots, he is also willing to take the risk of connecting them in the most logical ways, logical because he is not afraid to let his mind go where the bad guys lurk. He knows that is the only way to keep up with them.

Yet another confession: I cannot keep up with Joe. He has always amazed me; that’s why I became an avid reader. And he continues to amaze me. Even as he claims to be quitting, his output has been phenomenal, both in volume and content. He's been soaring! Perhaps the very thought of freeing himself from the burden has liberated him. Perhaps he might lock into the Zen of that and change his mind.

If I thought I knew what would change his mind, what we could say that has not already been said to keep him on, I’d launch a worldwide campaign.

But we have to allow him his choice, his decision. It’s his due.

Still, what a loss that would/will be, eh?

My final confession, for tonight, at least. I have a couple of predictions for 2007.

One is that, though Bush and his madmen will continue to defy reason and decency beyond belief, the tolerance for it will decline swiftly. There has been a palpable sea change, and though much of the mainstream is still rearranging deckchairs, the rest of the country is chafing at the bit to get on with the real business at hand.

I think we’ll also see less and less argument about what constitutes “real business.” Richard Clarke listed his top ignored crises, neglected because of our occupation of - and preoccupation with - Iraq. I don’t agree with all the ones he listed, or the ways in which he characterized some, but could not agree more with his number one slot, global warming.

Although the world seems to be falling apart at the seams (and it is; I already said that once already), this very fact holds the potential for uniting every human on the planet against a common enemy. Of course, that enemy really is us, as Pogo so presciently opined so long ago now, which will make it that much harder. Psychologically, few among us will eagerly ferret out their own flaws and diligently discipline themselves to be rid of them. Those are usually seen as saints, a mighty tall order. But our salvation rests in striving toward their inspiration, and success is only possible if we try.

This rather complex prediction is actually based on the same simple sense of human nature that led to my prediction that Democrats would win big last November, and that Rove would lose big. Foolish and fickle as folks may be, short-sighted and selfish and just down-right stupid and slothful, I – along with Anne Frank and a whole host of others – really do believe that deep down people are basically good-hearted. We have a sense of what is good and what is right and what is fair, and if we are also inclined to have too much faith in the wrong folks, it’s at least in part motivated by that same sense of decency.

I’m not claiming that this precludes the greed and cruelty that every one of us is capable of, and even exhibits from time to time. But just the fact that we have this sense of what is good and right and fair, even when we are being greedy and cruel, speaks to the inimitable spirit of human goodness. There are monsters out there, of all stripes, no argument; but even they know when they are doing the wrong thing most of the time. They just actively choose the wrong thing.

This part is not so much a prediction as a reflection: We’ll have opportunity on a global scale to find and correct our flaws, and become happier in the process. No different from any other moment in history, personal or public. But we all know how high the stakes are now, how intense the urgency.

A subtle segue into my second prediction: Joseph will not vanish from the blogosphere forever, if he vanishes at all. His announcement has left me pondering his place in it, and I have to say, for me anyway, he is the quintessential blogger. He has set a standard that cannot be easily met or replaced.

So he will be sorely missed. Still, I am as hopeful here as I am for the species and the planet. Joseph will not leave forever precisely because he is the quintessential blogger. He’s such a natural, it’s somehow in his blood.

And I daresay (hint hint) he will not want to miss out on the hopeful promise of 2007.

So a happy hopeful 2007 to each and all of you out there. I'll add the hope - and prediction - that the year does not include our good-byes.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Really nice post, doc. You have echoed my own thoughts on many levels. It's good to hear from you.

Joseph is indeed a rare treasure in our blogosphere. He is a pure genius, if I may presume to diagnose this from afar.;) This is why Cannonfire remains absolutely compelling, to say the least.

However... it is also why I think Joseph will become an even bigger target for the "true believers" and other assorted 'net pitbulls if he chooses to remain. Those who hold their leashes know a real threat when they see one. For my own part, I usually scroll through these types of comments wishing I had a personal 'net taser for every one of them.

That said, I agree with you that the choice is Joseph's to make. It is indeed his due. My hope, however, is that he won't quit because he can't - anymore than Mahler could simply "choose" not to compose.

So, Happy New Year, doc. I hope to be saying that again a year from now.

Kim in PA

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

And to Dr. Elsewhere:
Thank you. Your words about Mr. Cannon are dead on accurate. Perhaps he is in a zen state with the decision to already quit and therefore allow himself to scribe words that would have otherwise would have been censored.

... me again

Joseph Cannon said...

Actually that zen state thing is pretty accurate. Although if my attitude were really don't-give-a-damn, I'd have completed that indulgent riff on the deeper meaning of Mahler's Fourth Symphony. Which would have interested maybe two people.

But the truth is, a lot of people in my normal life think I'm buggy to spend so much time on a non-paying enterprise. At the beginning, I promised to leave when the agent-baiting started. Which it did. I'll be extremely amused to hear the agent-baiters argue that walking away actually fits in with the grand scheme of the Dread Zionist Overlords to disinform the public.

I should have the future of this place sorted out within another week or so, but I did want to finish up some thoughts on Litvinenko. Besides, dr. e has much left to say.

Anonymous said...

Psssst... I have an idea how to not allow Mr. Cannon to quit.... If he offers you (or anyone reading this) the blog... Just refuse.


(This was supposed to be the 5:33 Anon posting but I did not proof read it. bad me.)

Someone he knows...

Anonymous said...

Think of the responses as "letters to the editor."
Newspapers know they'll get a slew of them, and that many of those will not add much (if anything) to the conversation other than venting. Some papers print each one. Others print selectively. An open comment system on a public blog, open to all, leads to the possibility of many reponses. Gatekeeping -- whether by not allowing comments, allowing only Blogger-registered names, or being open only to comment and information-sharing via email -- is okay. It really is.

Think of blogging as breathing. Pacing yourself is important. Too much, too fast, can lead to hyperventilation. Too little, and you lose your rhythm and impetus. A calm, steady in and out works best for bodies and breath, and for the work we do that is important.

Dr. elsewhere: "But here, on this incognito blog, what is the point?"

Because your readers ask for integrity, whether you are using your legal name or a pseudonym, that's why.

Those who feel their hearts and minds stirred by the notion of hope may want to look at the current question being asked at John Brockman's edge.org .

The Edge poses annual questions to a group of wide-ranging minds (uh, other than in gender, it's awfully male). This year's question is about optimism:

"WHAT ARE YOU OPTIMISTIC ABOUT? WHY?

As an activity, as a state of mind, science is fundamentally optimistic. Science figures out how things work and thus can make them work better. Much of the news is either good news or news that can be made good, thanks to ever deepening knowledge and ever more efficient and powerful tools and techniques. Science, on its frontiers, poses more and ever better questions, ever better put.

What are you optimistic about? Why? Surprise us!"


It's well worth the time spent reading the answers. We need to hear what is going right, to counterbalance our steady diet of ain't it awful.

http://edge.org/q2007/q07_index.html