Monday, June 19, 2006

RFK, JR., TO SUE!

dr. elsewhere here

It's long bothered me that I'm not a lawyer when (and only when!) I've wondered why we could not somehow file a civil lawsuit against those who have stolen our elections. It has also occurred to me that I, here in New England, could sue folks in Florida and Ohio for discrediting my honest investment in the American Presidential election process. What a twist that would be on the US Supreme Court Bush v. Gore decision of December, 2000, eh? Whose civil rights got violated? Whose should be protected? Could you repeat that, please? And speak loudly into the microphone this time so ALL the American people can hear you.

Well, consistent with the courage he showed in the recent Rolling Stone article, Bobby Kennedy, Jr., has commented very briefly in an interview with PRWeek that he is discussing with attorneys the particulars of litigation regarding the 2004 election.
PRWeek: Is there a next step?

Kennedy: I've been meeting with attorneys... to devise a litigation strategy. And I would say that very soon we'll be announcing lawsuits against some of the individuals and companies involved.

PRWeek: Who exactly would that litigation be targeting?

Kennedy: I wouldn't say, right now.
My only questions are, can we make it a class action, and where do I sign up?

About the time I found that piece of priceless news, I also ran across a post by Greg Palast, in which was this equally priceless pearl of wisdom:
How many times am I asked, “Why vote if they’re going to steal the election?” That’s the point: Make them STEAL it. Make them know they can’t win UNLESS they steal it.
If they have to steal it, then at least we can be on the watch to catch them.

The Democrats need to make this a huge part of every campaign strategy. I mean, the Republicans have been running dirty campaigns and elections as a matter of policy since Nixon. Is there some reason we are not spending more time, energy, and voice securing our votes when we know the score like we do?

I'll be trying to find out how to offer RFK, Jr., support in this effort and will post it as soon as I know. If you beat me to it, please share!

This lawsuit, along with the ones Wilson and Plame are likely planning, and this one the NH dems have filed regarding the phone jamming scam (that involves deposing previous RNC chair, Ed Gillespie, and others who were phoned at the WH on election day 2002, like, dozens of times), may be our best hope for recovering our democracy.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think the reason they are being as blatant as they are about stealing the elections is that THEY WANT US TO QUIT VOTING! Already it takes all my energy to go vote knowing that it won't make a bit of difference in the outcome. It would be just so much easier if we would all just stay home and leave them alone, right?

Anonymous said...

anon, please take that frustration and work to reverse the situation.

while i understand the despair, they have won more than elections if we let them get away with it.

Anonymous said...

Sorry to be bratty, I'm not doing this to add to the despair, but unless there's been an update I missed, the status of that phone-jamming suit is depressingly close to non-existent:

http://jurist.law.pitt.edu/paperchase/2006/06/most-counts-of-new-hampshire-gop-phone.php

No, I haven't figured out how to use TinyURL! Please don't hurt me

Anonymous said...

jen, that lawsuit is not nonexistent. the judge dismissed the civil rights violation issues. the case will go forward, and there will be discovery. it could very well be that more evidence will be revealed to support the civil rights points. or, a separate case could be filed by citizens claiming that the rnc actions violated their civil right to have a fair election.

Jenius said...

I'm going to encourage everyone in a Diebold district to bring video cameras to the voting booths to capture any shenanigans. Some of the "glitches" included the check mark appearing next to "Bush" when the voter touched "Gore."

Some video evidence becoming viral online would be nice, but 50 different examples would blow people's minds.

Anonymous said...

I'm gonna be interviewing Bobbie on Tuesday, I'll include some of your questions. Thanks.. :) I'll post this interview here, too, if Ican get a place to post it.