Wednesday, August 10, 2005

This can't be true...

Is there a terrorist countdown? A poster to a certain unabashed "conspiracy" site -- the sort of site that I'm a little ashamed to have visited -- noted a pattern:

O is for Oklahoma City
N is for New York
M is for Madrid
L is for London

By this logic, the next strike should hit a city beginning with the letter K.

Coincidence? Well, yeah. Coincidence. Just gotta be. The pattern above ignores many terror attacks in Africa, Russia, the far east and the middle east. Besides, why start the countdown with O?

By the way: I'll be guest-blogging on Brad blog. See you there. And here.

(Note to a correspondent: Relax. I never said I took the above item seriously. It's like the Lincoln/Kennedy thing: Interesting fodder for dinner table conversation...if your guests have a taste for grim humor.)

(Note to a certain lady: No, it's not going to be Kalamazoo. Hmm...Karachi?

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

My guess is it's someone with way too much time on their hands. You look hard enough at anything and you're apt to find some sort of pointless pattern. Too bad you gave it the recognition you did by mentioning it.

Anonymous said...

Nairobi? Bali?

b

Barry Schwartz said...

Boy am I glad I don't live in Kooperstown or Kamden.

Anonymous said...

Gotta disagree with the person who called Joe's recognition of the possible pattern there "pointless." My philosophy continues to be, "if you've got it; blog it." The more publicity issues that could be indicators about the next attack receive, even if that publicity is "only" online, the less likely that attack is to happen. I think it's good Joe devoted a brief entry to acknowledging that there *could* be something there. If not, it's one post "wasted." So, cities with "K" names...

Kinsasha?

Anonymous said...

...Kansas City (KS or MO), Knoxville, or my beloved Klamath Falls, Oregon (no!)...

Anonymous said...

...Kuwait...

Barry Schwartz said...

I think they've already nuked Kleveland.

Anonymous said...

Jen, there was that AQ training camp out in Bly...

Anonymous said...

Jen, are we neighbors? Cool. I work in KF.

Anonymous said...

Yikes, I fear the target may be the Chinese metropolis King Kong!

Anonymous said...

This is directly connect to the LAw of Fives. Hail Eris! ;)

Anonymous said...

Kokomo, Kalamazoo, Knoxville, Kankakee,
KC, Kennebunkport, Keokuk, and Kenosha
come to mind.

progprog said...

Congrats on the Brad Blog slot. Good exposure for Cannonfire on an external must-read.