Thursday, April 28, 2005

Virus?

While attempting to clean up my clogged mailbox today, I discovered a problem. Some folks have received correspondence from my address -- cannonfiremail@yahoo.com -- which I did not send. The mail had attachments, and those attachments no doubt contained nasty surprises. A couple of these mailings have "bounced back" to me.

Yahoo has a good virus scanner, so it is not likely that someone has been using my account using Yahoo's interface. Apparently, some miscreant is spoofing my address.

I never have, and never will, send a message with any sort of attachment using that email address. Never open any attachment from that address -- or from any other, if you do not know the sender well. I may have to open up a new email account.

4 comments:

Barry Schwartz said...

Get a domain name, from folks who can redirect any mail sent to that domain. Then you can use any number of e-mail addresses, and then disable any of them if it gets into trouble.

Anonymous said...

Off-Topic --

is Bush wearing his little helper again???

I know this site featured many articles oni t...

Whitsmail

Barry Schwartz said...

One idea is to use popfile (popfile.sourceforge.net) to classify your incoming e-mail. I like popmail but ymmv; there are lots of tools like that.

Anonymous said...

The yahoo virus scanner won't necessarily catch a destructive executable file.

Most email impersonation is commercial in nature, and what happened is not necessarily malicious or destructive, with respect to you personally. The vast majority of people getting "your" email have probably never heard of you and would be shocked by the contents of this blog.

The spoofing happens to a lot of people.... Virtually any email address which appears on the internet is fair game.