Saturday, October 02, 2004

The next strike

It's unnerving. You know it's coming, but you don't know when.

I honestly expected the next big terror strike to have occurred by now.

Long-time readers will know that I have predicted that the Big One will consist of a suitcase nuke going off in Chicago in the region of the Sears Tower. (As mentioned before, I'll tell you how I knew after the event.) I'm glad I saw Grant Wood's American Gothic when it was on loan to San Francisco years ago, because we may never see it again. Alas, I never did get a chance to see Seurat's La Grande Jatte. Actually, that whole area (not just the Art Institute of Chicago) contains a striking selection of great works of art, which I wish I could have had a chance to see.

The Big One, which will certainly trigger a third world war, may not be the next one, however. I have reason to believe that there may be a strike against a large building in San Francisco -- either the TransAmerica Building or Bank of America center. (The latter was mentioned in a news story on terrorist "chatter" a couple of months ago.)

The big question: If such a strike occurs before the election, how will America react? The Bushites have pushed the "he kept us safe" motif for some time. If we are suddenly thrust once again into the realm of unsafety, how will the spinners reconcile the contradiction?

Be certain of one thing: After a terrorist nuke goes off in our country, there will be a draft. There will also be misleading information about the responsible party. And there may not be a democracy.

No comments: