Wednesday, August 23, 2017

THAT dossier (updated)



Rachel Maddow and Malcolm Nance have been talking about the Steele dossier today. The Trump apologists keep going there as well: They continually remind us that the thing was compiled as oppo research -- as though the magic phrase "oppo research" automatically discredits everything in the document.

Excuse me, but isn't oppo research of value only if the uncovered dirt is true?

And forgive me for being logical, but isn't oppo research useful only if it is released before the election?

And pardon my penchant for consistency, but how can the Trumpers argue that oppo research is a bad thing when Christopher Steele does it but a fine thing when Donald Trump Jr. does it?

Explain: Why should the phrase "oppo research" cause us to disregard the dossier?

I haven't seen the Maddow segment yet; I will soon. If curiosity compels you to re-read the thing-in-itself, remember: On the day of the document's release, this humble blog was your only source for a full OCR scan of the entire Steele Dossier. No, it's not letter-perfect; I wasn't using the world's best software. But it's still very readable, and you can even transform the document into an audio file via a text-to-speech app (if you're into that sort of thing).

Here it is.

And here is the Palmer Report's summary of what we learned from Maddow:
Glenn Simpson from Fusion GPS testified before the Senate Judiciary Committee in what ended up being ten hours of closed hearings on Monday. The upshot is that the company firmly stands behind the research in the Trump-Russia dossier. Now the public has begun calling for transcripts of the testimony to be released. Simpson has said he has no problem with his testimony being released. Senator Chuck Grassley, the Republican Chair of that committee, was asked about it during a town hall tonight.

Rachel Maddow ended up airing the relevant portion of that town hall during her MSNBC show. Grassley affirmed that he’ll have the committee vote on whether to release the transcripts, and he stated that barring any hang-ups, he doesn’t see any reason why he won’t vote “yes” himself. The committee has eleven Republicans and nine Democrats, so it would only take Grassley and one other Republican voting “yes” (along with all of the Democrats) for the transcripts to be released.
That sounds jolly. Of course, the Republicans were hoping to use Simpson's testimony as a weapon against Hillary Clinton. If the testimony provided anything useful along those lines, we would have heard all about it by now.

Not many minutes ago, the Washington Examiner published a story which gives me the impression that Grassley really will release the transcript.

Update: I've now seen the Maddow show. Basically, the news is that MSNBC contacted Fusion GPS, which confirms that they stand by the dossier. Also, it appears very likely that Grassley will indeed vote to release the transcripts. At this point, even Donnie must be starting to understand the dangers of pissing off the GOP Establishment.

I've decided to embed a video of Malcolm Nance speaking about the dossier on Maddow's show. Confirmatory evidence may exist within the documents that GPS Fusion handed over to investigators. Trump, as you may have noticed, is acting GUILTY AS HELL.

Elsewhere...

Not much of a crowd. Daily Kos published a couple of pics of the crowd for Trump's rally. Do these images accurately depict the scene? If so -- WOW.


That's it? That's it?

During the speech, Trump genuinely seemed to be under the impression that he was speaking to a multitude. He even asked the "fire marshal" to squeeze in a few more people. Was he delusional, or was he putting on an act for the cameras?

This incident illustrates why the country will never forget Trump's lies about his inauguration crowd. What was startling was not the paucity of the audience on that January day but the man's psychotic insistence that the throng was larger than it actually was. This man's need to be loved gave us the heebie-jeebies.

Trump could have made the issue go away in one day, simply by making a civilized, mildly self-effacing statement. Something like this:

"Many of the people who attend inaugurations come from the DC area. I didn't win this part of the country, so they didn't show up to see me take the oath. I recognize that the burden is on me to earn their respect. With humility in my heart, I plan to do just that during the next four years."

Boom. Problem solved. The media would have loved those words.

Instead, Trump forced poor Sean Spicer to issue a ludicrous proclamation that the 2017 inauguration crowd was the largest ever, despite indisputable photographic evidence to the contrary.

And now the Trumpers are pretending that the Phoenix event was more popular than the last three Super Bowls put together, even though there have probably been better-attended lectures on early Aramaic phoneme shifts. This man's ego problems would be hilarious if he did not wield so much power.

11 comments:

Tom said...

Phoenix FD said 4169 were present.
http://www.azcentral.com/story/news/local/phoenix/2017/08/23/how-many-people-downtown-phoenix-donald-trump-rally-protests/594732001/

I wonder how much money he raised, if that was even a point.

Joseph, THAT dossier appears to be central. Really love 40,000 pages of documentation. Any DVDs in there?

You were the first to highlight its importance. Also appreciate David Corn at MJ who wrote about it before the election.

It will be something when we find out exactly how long Comey was sitting on it.

JSL said...

@Joe,

You should check out the video here:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/anderson-cooper-donald-trump-worlds-biggest-victim_us_599e8478e4b06d67e3352d99?ncid=inblnkushpmg00000009

I want to apologize for opposing Hillary Clinton. I can't apologize to her myself, but I can apologize to at least some of the people who supported her, including you. I'm sorry and I have no idea how to begin to make up for this insane error on my part. I feel I contributed to our national nightmare (I'm tired of saying and hearing HIS name) by opposing her. I should have sucked up any issues I had with her because now the world faces a crisis and is quickly losing faith in American leadership. Once that's gone, there's no getting it back. We got it because of the extraordinary historical conditions of a completely destroyed Europe, the rising threat of Red Fascism (Stalinism), and America (not being destroyed or bankrupted) was in a prime position to give financial aid to Europe and fend off the Stalinist terror. To think we'll lose all of that because of one of the worst leaders in history.

I look forward to diving into Secretary Clinton's book 'What Happened'. I pre-ordered it on Amazon. She said she was never going to run for public office again so I'm hoping she doesn't hold back with the book, now that she isn't beholden to anyone but her heart and the truth.

Sanders supporters (including me), Stein supporters and Johnson supporters should have thrown their lot in with her. We fucked up big time and now we are trapped in a Forever War. And I was told incessantly how Secretary Clinton is a warmonger who never met a war she didn't like and had a vicious bloodlust. That she destroyed Libya, turning it into the failed state that it is now, that she overthrew the democratically elected government of Honduras, that she would start a thermonuclear war with Russia, etc. etc.

What a bunch of shit. And I didn't hear that stuff from the Far-right, I heard it from the Far-left (which is what I am and always have been). Fuckin' hell.

Jay

Jen said...

JSL-Jay-That was eloquent. I want to re post that everywhere. Thank you for apologizing. I know we will NEVER get that from the GOP and idiotic Trumpers filled with hate. But you hit every note. The hatred of Hillary is pathological and irrational and it NEVER ends. And this we have the nightmare.

nemdam said...

Jay:

I can't speak for Joseph obviously, but as an adamant Clinton supporter, the number one thing I've always wanted from everyone who didn't vote for Clinton is merely an apology. As terrible as most now understand Trump is, without an acknowledgment from those that didn't vote for Hillary both that the conventional wisdom about her is false and that it was wrong not to vote for her, we will never truly move past Trump. Without coming to terms that it was wrong not to support Hillary whatever anyone's issues with her, then we will continue to divide and splinter the next time an authoritarian demagogue like Trump threatens us. It's not enough to hate Trump. You also have to put aside your petty differences with those who also oppose him and come together. A Trump-like figure can thrive against a divided populace but cannot do so against a united one. See France on how this is done.

Sadly, I'm still waiting for just one apology from any member of the media that treated Clinton like garbage. They are still unanimous that they made no mistakes and that this was all her fault. Don't count on the media to hold Trump accountable. They will only do so if we pressure them.

Anonymous said...

Jay:

I'd also like to say that as an ardent Hillary supporter, I do appreciate your comments. I wish others on the Far Left, whether they wrote in Bernie or voted for Stein or refused to vote under the mantle of 'a vote of conscience' would simply admit the mistake so that we could all push for significant wins in 2018. Trump is a frigging disaster but as Dems, regardless of where we fall on the political spectrum, we're limited in what we can do. The mid-terms are critical, getting our people out and on the same page.

Unfortunately, I'm reading too many posts at various sites still fighting the damn primaries and/or perpetuating the hateful Clinton rhetoric, while pushing purity standards and calling for massive leadership ousters. Yeah, that will work. Straight out of the Republican playbook.

So, thank you. I agree with Jen: you hit every note. And yes, your post should be circulated.

Peggysue.

Jay said...

@Jen @nemdam and @Peggysue,

Thank you for the olive branch responses from the three of you. Your responses give me hope that reconciliation and healing can occur, while also giving me a sense of camaraderie and purpose. Rather than the unending despair and hopelessness I have felt for going on 10 months now because of President 45.

The terrible lies about Hillary Clinton are a double whammy, because they come not just from the Right-wing, but are propagated with a special Leftist-spin by the Far Left too. Talking to Sandernistas and Greens (Stein supporters), if you want to trust them, you walk away thinking that Clinton is Elizabeth Báthory come back from the dead. Like she bathes in the blood of infants or something. Looking back on it, it's downright creepy and, like Jen mentioned, pathological.

I don't know where this unprecedented and immortal hatred for Hillary Clinton from both Right and Left came from, but an examination of the claims made about her turn out to be completely false one after another. I don't know of a living or historical person who has had more conspiracy theories regarding them than Clinton. And all the conspiracy theories turn out to be false.

When she promoted healthcare reform (which was absolutely necessary) back in the 1990s, the protests against healthcare reform portrayed Hillary as a demon, even the Queen of Hell. So the hysteria regarding her goes back at least that far, her well meaning attempts to motivate healthcare reform. Which failed, not due to her fault, but due to pitched hysteria and moral panic ("Socialized Medicine!").

I agree with Nemdam, a united front would have pulverized the Trump campaign. I'm sorry Jen, Nem and Peggysue. But like I told Joe in a previous post, I'm ready for reconciliation and I'm ready to ally with people across the political spectrum in order to oust this Orange Toad that occupies our highest office.

Jay

Big Guy said...

Jay: Thank you so much for your eloquent apology.

Peggysue and Jen: Thank you for so artfully voicing my sentiments better than I could have. I tend to get spluttery and shouty about the topic.

Joseph: Thank you for being ahead of the curve on so much of this, but particularly the dossier. I thought I've read on random tweets that recent events have confirmed that its contents are true.

Jay said...

@everyone,

SNL just summarized the Phoenix rally, check it out at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ioB2Vs_G45U

Jay

Gus said...

Jay,

I started out supporting Bernie as well. I had issues with Clinton, none of which had anything to do with Clinton conspiracy theories, and I didn't want to vote for her. Joseph opened my eyes to what was happening with Bernie's campaign, and when it came time to vote, I somewhat reluctantly voted for Clinton. I have voted 3rd party in past elections, and was tempted to do so again in 2016, but the Trump threat was just too great to ignore. So I voted against him. The thing about my issues with Clinton, was that they all could have been addressed once she was in office, and Joseph made clear he would be hammering on anything she did that he didn't agree with. It was obvious to me than that we liberals would have had a much better chance of having our concerns addressed with her as President, since now we have no chance of that whatsoever with the orange monster in office.

So while to some extent I shared your view prior to the election, pragmatism made me vote for a candidate I didn't care for, to try to avoid getting one that actually terrified me. Of course, I'm glad I did vote for her and didn't give Trump any help (direct or indirect), though obviously it wasn't enough.

It's water under the bridge now though, as you have realized your mistake and we need to be unified against the orange monster now.

Anonymous said...

Well I'll be the first to admit I wrote in Bernie but I live in IL which went for Hillary by solid double digits.I felt I had the luxury to finally vote for a candidate who best represented my views.

With that said, I campaigned for Hillary when Bernie dropped out and to this day still like Hillary. I've never bought into the bullshit she endured, I simply liked Bernie better. If I lived in a red or purple state I would have easily voted for her.

The majority of voters now identify as Independent like me. We need to unite against the orange monster in the White House. It will take all allies to over come the gerrymandering, Russian influence, election fraud, and voter disenfranchisement. I hope folks like me are welcome in this fight.

Tom said...

Jay & Gus,

Just have to say that "water under the bridge" is the best way to move on.

I never like anybody on the ballot, but always vote Dem, since they're mostly decent people trying to work for an inclusive future. Ok, ok, with some asterisks, but seeing what the GOP has had lined up for us, we've got to ignore and try to shut down those strangely consistent circular firing squad attacks from the left.

Let us behold the task ahead, and the world as it is. Politics is the art of the possible, and it will be a lot of hard work.