Sunday, November 08, 2020

Staceyism

Every time I have seen Stacey Abrams on television, she has impressed me. But at the same time, I've smiled cynically at her aspirations for a spot on the national ticket. That sort of ambition seems premature for one who has has held no position higher than state legislator. 
 
But now it appears that her organizational skills may be the primary reason why we saw a "Blue Miracle" in Georgia. Astonishing!
 
Frankly, I had convinced myself that if any state would be the Blue Miracle state, that state would be Arizona. Maybe I was biased by my own western roots. I grew up in southern California, and I have spent many days in Arizona and New Mexico -- the most mysterious and romantic places in the union. 
 
I love the west. I love the history, the lore, the dry heat, the green chile enchiladas with sopapillas on the side, the acid-trip sunrises and sunsets, the made-for-Cinemascope mountainscapes, the deserts, the art, the absurd flying saucer rumors, the Earps, the Clantons, the cowboys, the Indians, the Hispanics, all of it. 
 
I love the west and I want to see the west go blue. 
 
That's why I allowed myself to believe those polls which indicated that Biden had AZ in the bag. Alas, as of this writing, chances are good that Trump may eke out a last-minute win in the Grand Canyon state. 
 
Yet Georgia -- yes, Vermilion-red Georgia -- is now looking good for the Dems. I never would have predicted it.

Then again, I've never actually been to Georgia. Don't know the place. Don't know the people or the possibilities.

Obviously, Stacey Abrams has expert knowledge of that part of the country. She says that the two Senate runoff elections are winnable. Which means that the Senate itself is winnable. 
 
If we get the Senate, Joe Biden won't be a mere caretaker president. His victory will not be empty, despite the presumption of the National Review's editors. Biden might actually be able to pull off the systemic changes we desperately need, like adding more seats to the Supreme Court and granting statehood status to Puerto Rico and DC. With those things accomplished, many new doors would open.
 
Imagine it.
 
If Stacey Abrams can pull off that miracle, I'll form a whole new religion around that woman. My knee will bow fast enough to punch a hole in the concrete.
 
And lo! We shall call this new faith Staceyism.

Please, Ms. Abrams...! Give us another Blue Miracle! Convert this faithless, godless, goddessless old cynic! Make me believe! Force me to declare my faith: Credo quia impossibile est!

9 comments:

margie said...

I live in Texas which is of course Red, but a different red than Georgia. In Texas or at least outside the major cities there is a rebellious nature , a redneck streak that is resistant to change. Republicans have a firm grip here and enough rural areas are stubbornly loyal to them . That is why Texas is red not because of economy or loss of jobs or even racial tensions.
I have only been to Georgia once a few years ago. I went to Atlanta to visit a very good friend. Goergia is a beautiful state, much prettier than Texas and Atlanta is a much prettier city than any major city in Texas, but my first impression of the state and the city was a quiet resignation. A feeling that the black population went about their lives resigned to live in a red state and the white population displayed signs of superiority. I could literally feel the difference in attitudes . I think Stacy Adams has recognized that the majority of Georgia's population is not voting Republican because of stubbornness or loyalty but because they have been marginalized and suppressed. She has worked to combat the suppression and given courage to the population that was disangaged and they are liking their new voice and power.
I could not tell you much about Arizona because I have only driven through it a couple of times, but I would venture to guess that Arizona is much more like Texas than Georgia.

Joseph Cannon said...

margie, I've liked nearly every Texan I've ever met. But their politics have always baffled me.

AZ has a different vibe. Hard to describe. Back in the late 80s, early 90s (when I had some money), there were nights when I was suddenly overcome by a mad hankering to see the sun rise over the Arizona desert. So without planning or prep, I would drive all night through the Mojave down I-40 and cross the AZ border just in time to see the most AMAZING technicolor spectacle imaginable.

A sight to justify a sleepless night. Only in Arizona.

After grabbing some ZZs in one of those slimey $20-a-night motels, I'd drive on to Flagstaff, where they had some great little restaurants on or near San Francisco Street. Decent libraries, too. Nearly everyone I met was a true character -- weird, wacky, sometimes a little off-putting, but memorable.

Sorry. Sometimes the nostalgia takes hold of me. I miss the West.

OTE admin said...

The West is truly the best part of the entire country. I was born out here, in Oregon, and I will die in the West.

Arizona and Utah are just about "it" when it comes to landscapes. The Colorado Plateau is pretty hard to beat.

I haven't been to Alaska, but it is on my bucket list.

margie said...

Ohh, we have our share of wacky here in Texas too. Some real oddballs. But I am yet to see anything breathtaking in Texas. It isn't very pretty or grand or special in the way of nature. Even the coast is ugly by comparison to many I have seen. But it is a good place to live for the most part. And everything is BIG, houses, roads, ranches, farms, stadiums. People are mostly decent and economy is always good even in recessions. Texas is not the south or the west
It is really southwest with all that the label implies.

B said...

No. You are usually quite realistic. But no. There is no way, without Trump on the ballot, that Chuck Schumer and Nancy Pelosi win power in Georgia. No, wake up.

Terry Melanson said...

Abrams was invited to the Bilderberg 2019 conference. She's been on their radar for awhile. Oligarchs saw something special but it's not known what impression they had of her during the three-day shindig. Immediately, after her attendance, msm media gave her a lot of positive print space and airtime. Rapporteurs at Bilderberg have been a staple since the 1950s, and it's traditional for major media to sent top representatives (who promise secrecy in return for access to power).

Joseph Cannon said...

B: Abrams argues that her people are pumped up and rarin' to vote, while the Republicans were MORE likely (rather than less) to show up when Trump was on the ballot. I don't know if this is true. As I said, I've never been to Georgia and I've never even talked at length with anyone from that state.

Terry: Although I'm not as paranoid as some others are about the Build-a-Burgers, I had a hard time believing your claim until I checked it out. It's true: They really did invite Stacey.

And boy-oh-boy, there were some real beauties attending that conference. Peter Thiel, the NSA-linked billionaire who wants an end to democracy. (I SUSPECT that he's funding the Q movement, but obviously that's just a guess.) A representative from Palantir. A representative from Deutsche Bank. Jared fucking Kushner. Henry fucking Kissinger.

Weird company for someone like Abrams.

The only explanation that makes sense to me: They sensed that she was a rising star within the D party, and wanted to find out who she was and just how far she would rock the boat, if ever she attained power. She attended because she is nakedly ambitious (nobody denies this, least of all her) and wanted to see what THAT world is really like.

I'm not going to be TOO paranoid about this. A lot of conspiracy buffs went all freaky when they found out that Bill Clinton (then just a governor) was invited to a Bilderberg conference in -- what was it? I think it was '89 or '90. Around the time he first made serious presidential noises. I don't think he sacrificed a goat or anything in exchange for the presidency. I think they just wanted to check him out.

Marc McKenzie said...

@Joseph: I've been to Georgia (four years ago with a good friend who sadly passed this year). It is a beautiful state, and Altanta is a good city, and I have family there too.

Frankly, we owe Stacey a lot. And she knows a thing or two about organizing, unlike AOC who within hours of Biden's win was moaning about how Dems lost because the asses of progs were not kissed, and that oh, if we ran someone like AOC in red states we would win.

Bullshit.

Abrams knows what the hell she's doing in Georgia and the fact that these TWO--count 'em, two!--Senate races went to runoffs is a good thing. There's still some breathing room and I'm not going to fall into the moan and doom trap of thinking that Moscow Mitch will be in charge of the Senate when Biden takes office. We've got a chance, so let's take it.

Oh, and of course you're not surprised of the "yeah, whatever, Biden still sucks and is a neo-liberal corporate shill!" coming from the progs and the fine folks at places like DownWithTyranny!. I swear, these people soooo wanted Trump to win so they could rub "Bernie woulda won!!" in our faces. Fuck them.

Thanks for letting me get this off my chest, Joseph.

Anonymous said...

Joe - I like your take on why THEY would invite Stacy Abrams to Build-a-Burger. I think evidence shows that they seek to identify, understand, and vet rising starts early. So they can figure out if they need to subvert, influence, co-opt, or maybe even blackmail them if necessary if they do rise to power. THOSE type really try to think ahead, which I guess you can do when your wealth is unlimited. Why own one candidate when you can just as easily own both!