Tuesday, October 01, 2019

Now THIS is intriguing...

Yet another Inspector General has a role to play in this melodrama. In this case, we're talking about the IG for the State Department. The IG's name is Steve Linick, and it may interest you to know that he was appointed to this position by Barack Obama.

Cannily, Trump understood that he had to control the IGs at the Justice Department and at CIA. But he didn't establish control over all of 'em.
The State Department’s inspector general is expected to give an "urgent" briefing to staffers from several House and Senate committees on Wednesday afternoon about documents obtained from the department’s Office of the Legal Adviser related to the State Department and Ukraine, sources familiar with the planned briefing told ABC News.

Details of the briefing, requested by Steve Linick, the inspector general at State, remain unknown. Linick is expected to meet with congressional staff in a secure location on Capitol Hill.

The unusual nature and timing of the briefing – during a congressional recess – suggests it may be connected to a recent intelligence community whistleblower allegation which describes, in part, the State Department’s role in coordinating interactions between Rudy Giuliani, the president’s personal attorney, and Ukrainian officials.
As you know, I'm no optimist. But this looks promising.

Marcy beliees that this has something to do with Marie Yovanovich. Maybe. But I'm starting to think that this could be something larger, more uncontrollable and impactful. The hairs on my forearm are all a-tingle. I feel the way people supposedly feel when they're in the forest and they sense that Bigfoot is watching.

A journalist named Scott Steadman just tweeted:
BREAKING EXCLUSIVE: I’m told that Pompeo’s office in recent days asked State Department HR/IG if they could “discipline” officers for “failure to follow direction” if they cooperate with Congress.

This, I’m told, is PART of the IG’s urgent request to Congress.

There is written documentation.

State Department staffers were truly shocked by the directive, which the IG denied. It appears that Pompeo is threatening his officers if they comply with Congressional inquiries.

The IG and HR teams wouldn’t go along with Pompeo’s ask.

For when this is confirmed please credit me as the founder of @forensicnewsnet
Okie dokie. HR means Human Resources. The Director is a woman named Carol Perez. A career officer, not a Trump appointee.
The IG for State was appointed by Obama. Not sure about the HR people but the IG and HR are in lockstep against Pompeo’s ask.



5 comments:

Sharon said...

I love your real time commentary, Joe. I've been using Palmer Report for that, but his headlines are so silly and so repetitive. If I read one. more. time. that Trump ... or whoever ... is finished, I'm going to scream. I depend on Marcy too, but she often takes too long to respond because every post must be an opus. You're the best.

nemdam said...

You and I are on the same page. The fact that this came out almost immediately after Pompeo told Congress to pound sand, and the fact that the request is so urgent, makes me think this is something big.

It was a common expression to say Russia makes Watergate look like a parking ticket. It might be time to say Ukraine makes Russia look like a parking ticket. The way Ukraine is unfolding, and the damage it's causing Trump, is how I thought Russia would unfold.

Joseph Cannon said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Joseph Cannon said...

Sharon, I once had a policy of never bashing other liberal-ish bloggers. But Palmer really does bother me, for precisely the reason you identified: The headlines. How many times can he promise that Trump and his cronies are going to jail?

I'm the anti-Palmer, in that I usually predict the least desirable outcome. It's a matter of personality. In childhood, I caught a severe case of pessimism which I've never been able to shake.

Marcy is the best. She's the Goddess-Queen of Blogworld. I used to have a post-it note on my monitor which read: "Marcy Wheeler is always right."

Compared to her, all I can offer is eccentricity. If you like depression, cynicism and reflexive contrarianism served up with a side order of weirdness, I'm your scribbler.

Alessandro Machi said...

In the immortal words of Bill Clinton, it depends what "it" is.

The premise that the type of political dirt that was asked for has no relevance borders on progressive fascism. If there is real political dirt that has not been faked, then what?

Trump gets impeached for finding real dirt?

The desire to see Trump go has clouded the minds of Progressives and those who hate Trump.