Monday, December 17, 2018

AMEN!

This post recently appeared on Democratic Underground:
I am a former Republican. I left the party in 2012, but never removed my name from their mailing list. Every two or three days I get an email from "President Trump" telling me what is going on, defending himself, or asking my opinion. They never ask for money. I also get letters from the RNC which ask for money but they are never from trump himself (although some are signed by his son). I understand these are not real letters from the president, but they are designed to make me think they are. They are designed to make me feel I am part of his movement and my opinions are valued, not my money. EVERY letter, in whatever form, that I receive from Democrats is a fund raising letter that makes me feel valued only for my money. We should learn something from the Republicans. Information only emails cost nothing, they do not have to pay for themselves. Use them.
Ain't it the truth! I ignore all messages from Dems because they're all about the money.

My old email address somehow got on all sorts of lists, both left and right. I would even get messages from Roger Stone. (In fact, I probably still do. I haven't accessed that old mailbox in a while.) Usually, these messages do not ask for $$$.

A fundraising-free email campaign might be a good way to correct the record when it comes to some of the more outrageous claims made about the Clintons or Obama. It would also be a great way to poke fun at the conspiracy theories pushed by the pro-Trump right. Create a sense of community, of smart people gathered around the office coffee-maker, laughing at the rubes and their absurd beliefs.

If the messages are funny, people will want to read them. Ask for input from great comics like Bill Maher and Samantha Bee. Don't include edgy material about religion; the point is to invite people in, not to drive 'em out. Gently poke fun at excessive political correctness, in order to prove that we don't take ourselves too seriously. Don't link to videos and don't send images; doing so might set off paranoia alarms about malware.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amen, again!

This seems so obvious.

Tom

Mr Mike said...

Thinking out of the box was never a Democratic Party politician's strong suit. That's why Alexandria Ocasio Cortez is a breath of fresh air asking questions that never occurred to Pelosi.

Anonymous said...

Mike, I agree. AOC really shows how it can be done.

Not that everyone has to have that razor-sharp wit, but the nimble response is necessary.

Tom