Wednesday, September 27, 2017

Sadness beyond words

I had hoped to write a long post about Roger Stone's testimony and the "intermediary" he used to contact Assange. I believe in the existence of this intermediary -- one of Stone's rules is "Always use a cut-out" -- although calling this unnamed personage a "journalist" might well be (to put it charitably) a matter of opinion. The name Lee Stranahan immediately popped into my mind, perhaps because I've sparred with him a bit in the past, perhaps because this NYT story riveted my attention earlier today.

(Please please please hit the link and read that piece. It's a must-read.)

Stranahan has written critically about Assange in the past, back in 2013 when the political playing field was arranged rather differently. Arguably, this history makes Stranahan a more effective agent. Of course, my wild hunches have gone wide of the mark before, and there is a very good chance that Stranahan is not the source, whom Stone has identified only as a "libertarian" journalist. I'm guessing that this "libertarian" is associated with either Brietbart or InfoWars.

Perhaps even...little Alex himself?

That would be hilarious. AJ is just dumb enough to function as a Stonian stooge.

Speaking of Jones: The above-linked NYT piece explains AJ's bizarre accusations against Chobani yogurt. It all has to do with -- get this -- an alleged "globalist" plot to take over Idaho and turn it blue. I kid you not.

Our nation's political conversation has been commandeered by madmen. Sad is this situation is, it is not the reason why this post bears the title Sadness beyond words.

RIP George. Regular readers know that, not long after I lost my beloved dog Bella in 2015 -- this blog's mascot for more than a decade -- we acquired a rat terrier named George, a senior dog who almost certainly would have ended up in the pound had we not taken him on board. His most memorable appearance in these pages was this post, in which he offered his response to certain not-quite-credible letters associated with the doctors for Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton.

In real life, George had diabetes, which proved to be quite challenging for this family. He required a special diet, twice-daily insulin injections, and more or less constant attention. For months, his glucose levels seemed to fluctuate wildly despite our best efforts; there was one occasion when I thought we might lose him.

After a difficult period and some terrible scares, we finally found a schedule and a diet that kept him more-or-less regular. I thought that we would never again have a major problem.

A little more than a week ago, George began acting strangely; eventually, I understood that he had developed an infection. The root cause, we later found out, was leptospirosis, a disease transmitted through rat urine. Rats -- some of them not much smaller than a Mini Cooper -- have been known to scuttle through the yards in this neighborhood.

Certain infections can play havoc with a dog's glucose levels and need for insulin. Basically, George stopped needing insulin. Although our old glucometer no longer functioned, I had become sensitive to the first signs of hypoglycemia (too much insulin and too little sugar) and thus knew when to feed him something with carbs or sugar.

Why didn't we take him immediately to the vet? Because we knew that the doctor would insist upon a hospital stay, which meant sky-high bills. We simply didn't have the money -- at least not right away. It would take a few days, perhaps longer, to scrape together the cash.

My job was to keep the dog alive until the money came together.

His symptoms became extreme -- vomiting, inability to stand, incontinence. Without fully being aware of what I was doing, I hit upon an approach which might well have saved him: A meal of pasta and syrup laden with antibiotics. (Please spare me the lecture about administering fish antibiotics to pets. Thousands of people do it.)

George showed almost immediate improvement -- he stopped vomiting, stopped urinating indoors, and could even manage stairs again.

I'll never forgive myself for giving him a partial insulin shot the next morning. Hours later, he began vomiting again. It looked like a hypoglycemic emergency -- a situation in which one is supposed to rub syrup on the dog's gums. I've had to do that before, but on this occasion self-doubt overwhelmed my judgment. He seemed hypoglycemic -- but we didn't know.

So we acquired a new glucose meter which told us that the dog's blood sugar was high (237). Under the circumstances, giving him syrup seemed dangerous.

That last night was just...horrible. The next day, the dog had a terrible seizure just as we managed to scrape up the money to pay the vet. Although the doctor thought at first that George could be saved, his end came just a couple of hours later. In the hospital. We could not even be there with him. He died from a combination of hypoglycemia and leptospirosis.

The blood work revealed that George's glucose level was zero. The Doctor told us that the glucometer must have been seriously wrong.

I blame myself. For two reasons:

1. Having come up with a regimen (syrup and antibiotics) that might have cured the dog, or at least kept him alive indefinitely, I suddenly doubted my instincts and my judgment. Instead, I trusted a machine -- a new machine, with which I had no experience.

2. As it turns out, we had the means to pay the veterinarian all along! We belatedly learned that most animal hospitals accept CareCredit, which is basically a credit card for veterinary care.

Time for a confession: In my youth -- when I stupidly thought that the days of easy money would last forever -- I ran up a large debt which proved hellishly difficult to set right. Even now, I feel extremely ashamed by the mistakes I made as a young man (even though we have a president who has declared six bankrupticies and who has stiffed God-knows-how-many lenders and contractors).

Friends advised me to adopt a strict "cash only" lifestyle. And so I did. For more than twenty-five years, I proudly refused any further involvement in the credit trap, even though that option was available. My ladyfriend long ago made a similar decision for similar reasons. Through thin times and flush, we refused to re-enter the seductive world of APRs and TRW and credit card bills and debt.

The idea of applying for a line of credit simply did not occur to us -- not for a second. Our minds did not work that way. As it turns out, approval was instantaneous. We could have taken the dog into the hospital on the first day he became ill!

In essence, I killed my dog. My thinking had become ossified and I could not see an obvious financial solution. Moreover, my original home care regimen (amox, carbs, syrup) could have kept the dog alive. I didn't follow my instincts. I didn't trust myself.

And now I can't forgive myself. Of course, George's "mommy" is inconsolable. He always had a special bond with her.

The loss of my beloved Bella in 2015 was extremely difficult, but at least she had lived a full life and was gloriously healthy for much of that time. George was a special needs dog who depended on us. For two years, I thought I was up to the challenge. Then I failed.

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

Forgive yourself

Big Guy said...

So sorry for your loss, Joseph, but please do not blame yourself. Please. George would not want that~

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear that. Loss of a loved one always brings those kind of feelings. You did good and your best. I bet George felt that too.

Anonymous said...

Very sorry about your dog.

On the backchannel for Roger Stone, explore this theory that it was someone called Randy Credico. I would have guessed Charles Johnson, but this is interesting evidence.

https://twitter.com/italkyoubored/status/865991964382167040

Anonymous said...

So sorry for your loss.

Philip Ebersole said...

Don't blame yourself for your dog's death. He had years of life in a loving home he wouldn't have had without you.

JL said...

As the mother of a daughter who has had type 1 diabetes for 35 years and whose disease has always been difficult to control, I fully understand your sense of guilt and remorse. Insulin-dependent diabetes can cause that because there are so many, many variables that must be adjusted for in managing the disease. And guess what, you never can adequately manage them all, so "failure" is built into the process, which teaches deep humility over and over again. You find yourself second guessing any decision that leads to less that perfect glucose control. But you mustn't do that to yourself. You and your lady-friend gave George two wonderful years filled with love and care that otherise he would not have had. My heart--and my deep admiration--goes out to you and your friend. Speaking for George and myself: Thank you.

Prowlerzee said...

You all are too close to see clearly. You adopted a senior dog who turned out to be special needs and you stuck with him. Of course you miss him desperately. I'm so sorry for your loss. It's the horrible price we pay for having canine companions. Maybe we can raise awareness of this rat urine problem in the city. I'll certainly be asking about it asap for my senior dog, who is a rather! George loved you and you loved him.

Anonymous said...

You gave him life he otherwise never would have had from anyone else. Of course you're going to induldge in shoudla,coulda,woulda while you're grieving. YOu did all you could.

iwarmonger0 said...

It truly sucks to lose a pet and don't blame yourself for what happened. As a diabetic myself whose glucose isn't doing well, I understand better than most, plus I love animals.

Anonymous said...

Oh Joe, don't beat yourself up. You said yourself: George would have most likely ended up in the pound had you and your lady friend not adopted him. That being said, the death of a well-loved puppy is miserable, regardless of the circumstances. Never gets easier. I've grieved each and every time; there's no easy, short remedy.

Take care, friend.

Peggysue

Joseph Cannon said...

Everyone, thanks. Especially to iwarmonger0 and to all others who have had to deal with diabetes. This has given me a new appreciation for the difficulties faced by those who have this disease. Imagine the difficulties when the diabetic can't tell you how he or she feels. And those damned meters...!

Zee -- and everyone else who owns a pet: You should know that there is a leptospirosis vaccine. Since the disease seems to be on the upswing, vaccinations are a worthy investment.

Incidentally, it's a spirochete, like syphillis.

So one lesson is to keep up with vaccines. The other lesson is that one simply can't be obdurate in one's thinking. Giving up credit cards seemed an admirable decision, but inflexibility has its dangers.

Bawlmer has some rather awe-inspiring rats. This neighborhood is cute, with well-maintained houses, but at night I've seen rodents large enough to intimidate Paul Bunyon. Back in California, we don't have rats of that size, unless you count studio heads.

Alessandro Machi said...

You Bastard!

Alessandro Machi said...

You should pause and reflect, think about the doctor who may have saved a patients life over and over with excellent managed care and keen isnight, eventually screws up some minor detail and the patient dies, and they are sued. They are basically being sued by the relatives of someone who maybe should have died years earlier. That is the irony.
You said yourself your dog was a senior dog and probably would have been sent to the pound two year's hence. If you had tried your idea and it had not worked, you still would have a reason to blame yourself.

Tom said...

My sympathy for your loss of George.

Go easy on yourself, Joseph. As you know, diabetes is complicated and hard to treat. He and you folks had some happy years.

BobNP said...

I am a nurse, and I take Fish antibiotics -- they are human ABs relabeled for aquarium use and sold for virtually pennies. I also use a lotion marketed for horses for my rosacea - as do thousands of others.

Regarding a glucose of zero, I doubt that very much. I have never seen one that low. If it was done with a bedside glucometer, an 'error' message would likely have been displayed. If it was sent out to a lab, they used the wrong tube. If you do not use a 'gel' tube, the cells will continue to use the glucose while in the tube waiting for the trip to the lab. And also, sometimes when the glucose is too high, the body compensates by pumping out what little insulin it has left, dropping the blood sugar.

Joseph Cannon said...

BobNP: Yours is the most fascinating and troubling bit of feedback I've seen. Thanks much for your words.

Forgive the vanity, but...what is this about a horse lotion that helps rosacea? I am one of those guys who suffers from a "red shiny nose" even though I rarely indulge in oom-pah-pah. (If you take my meaning. It helps if you've seen "Oliver!")

I don't think that my dog's blood work was sent out to a lab; the results came very quickly. The glucose level of zero shocked the hell out of me; such a thing did not seem possible. I didn't understand why the dog was still alive (which he was at that moment). All told, I still think that he was, on that last day, hypo- rather than hyper-. I should not have trusted the meter; I should have trusted my gut.

I had read everything I could about diabetes, yet it defeated me. Well, it defeated George. Human diabetics have told me that they stop relying on glucometers and instead rely on subjective body signals. The lesson I took away from this battle is that dealing with diabetes is, on some level, no longer just a matter of science. It's more like jazz. You go by the feel. You have to trust your instincts.

Anonymous said...

Joe, I'm very very sorry for your loss. You did your best for George. He was very lucky to have you and your lady friend for humans, and he would not want you to be sad.

OTE admin said...

I lost my chihuahua, Sam, two months ago tomorrow after he could no longer breathe thanks to having congestive heart failure and COPD, among other ailments. He was on a three-pill regimen for exactly 3 1/2 years. He was around 14, so I was lucky he lived as long as he did on those pills given what he had. Most dogs with CHF live only a few months or a few weeks. He had a good life right up until two days before I had to make the decision to let him go.

Hypoglycemia in dogs is very scary. Sam would have it off and on, and my other dog, Duffy, gets it about every few months. You have to watch it if the dog doesn't eat as much as he should. The thing that stops it when a dog has an attack is either Karo syrup (I always keep that on hand--Duffy had an attack yesterday), Nutrical, or some other sugar-based treatment rubbed into the dog's gums until the episode subsides. I am very sorry you lost your dog.

Joseph Cannon said...

OTE, thanks for your kind words, and thanks for being such a good "puppy parent." Be very careful with Duffy!

We had syrup on hand for emergencies -- in the room, mere feet away from the spot where George had his seizure. The glucometer said that his blood sugar was high, yet I intuited that his sugar was low. I trusted the glucometer reading more than I trusted my instinct and my experience.

Dealing with Diabetes, I now understand, is like being a jazz musician: The music is not notated; you have to play by feel. Human diabetics tell me that they stop using the meters; they determine their blood sugar levels by the way they feel. Dogs don't have language, so they communicate the way they feel through other means.

If you're caring for a diabetic dog, you have to trust your instincts.