Friday, October 25, 2013

Oliver Stone to NSA: "Stop watching us!"



There's a rally against the surveillance state in front of Union Station on Saturday, October 26. If I have the scratch, I may be there.

Here's more info:
A stellar group of whistleblowers, activists, researchers and others from both sides of the political spectrum will be speaking at this historic event. The list includes:

Congressman Justin Amash
Former senior NSA executive and whistleblower Thomas Drake
Social critic Naomi Wolf
Indie pop senation YACHT
Lt. Dan Choi, LGBT advocate and U.S. veteran
Rainey Reitman, EFF
Bruce Schneier, internationally renowned security technologist
Craig Aaron, Free Press
Kymone Freeman, Director of the National Black LUV Fest
Former New Mexico Governor Gary Johnson
Khaliah Barnes, EPIC
Shahid Buttar, Bill of Rights Defense Committee
Malachi Byrd, DC Youth Poetry Slam Team
Wafa Ben Hassine, writer and human rights advocate
Former Congressman Dennis Kucinich
Laura Murphy, ACLU
NOT4PROPHET, Hip Hop MC and community organizer
Black Alley, DC-based soul-garage band

Location:
Marchers will gather in front of Union Station at 11:30 a.m. by the Christopher Columbus Memorial Fountain in Columbus Circle. Shortly after noon we’ll march to the National Mall at 3rd Street and Madison Dr. NW, in front of the Capitol Reflecting Pool, where there will be a stage set up for our rally speakers, musicians, and performers.
Side note: I think I've picked my latest hopeless crush -- Molly Crabapple. You'll meet her in this video. Not only is she gorgeous, not only is she politically perfect, she's a famous contemporary artist who can actually draw. I try not get all insanium-in-the-cranium about younger women, but I will allow myself to do exactly that for -- oh, I dunno. Give it 12 hours. Things should be back to normal afterwards.

(Seriously, I'm glad that I'm way too old for her, because my fifteen-years-younger self would be planning elaborate stratagems to meet her, inevitably resulting in much facial crimson and public humiliation and restraining orders and all those other horrors that used to be such a common part of my life.)

(So what was it I was supposed to be talking about? Oh, right. The NSA. Yeah, I've been bitching about those guys for decades. Your big takeaway from this post is this: Spooks bad, Molly Crabapple good.)

5 comments:

Stephen Morgan said...

Nothing says "serious political movement" like the phrase "Youth Poetry Slam Team".

Gus said...

I normally avoid mainstream news, but my lady friend normally has the CBS morning show on while we get ready for work. Did you know Edward Snowden is the greatest threat to American security ever, in the whole history of the USA? It's true, government sources said so. I can't believe people watch this crap, let alone take it at all seriously. The Nazi's and Soviet's couldn't have done better propaganda at the hight of their power.

Anonymous said...

I sometimes wish I had the academic clout to rate access to university archives of German glossy magazines during the thirties. I bet they have human interest stories with lots of pretty photos about their brave fighting men that could really help put our media coverage in perspective.

My high school used to subscribe to Soviet Life. Reading that gave me a good nose for propaganda.

Stephen Morgan said...

"Two nations; between whom there is no intercourse and no sympathy; who are as ignorant of each other's habits, thoughts, and feelings, as if they were dwellers in different zones, or inhabitants of different planets; who are formed by a different breeding, are fed by a different food, are ordered by different manners, and are not governed by the same laws: the rich and the poor."
-- Benjamin Disraeli

Consider the meaning of national security.

Anonymous said...

This is a message from The Netherlands. From the Dutch Whistleblowers Party. We follow so much as possible the news about these subjects. It is neccessary to follow the people who are watching us. It is a shame that our modern society accept this. Let's join forces. Political campain leader, Harm Wiersma, former world champion draughts and former member of the Dutch Parliament.