Sunday, September 15, 2013

Yikes!

Well, I was preparing an important -- or at least long and hard-to-write -- piece on the Human Rights Watch report on Syria, when the internet stopped working. At first, I thought the problem was with a late bill, but inquiry revealed that the ISP's tower serving this area has gone down. It was supposed to be functional hours ago, but it isn't.

At any rate, the situation seems to have morphed yet again. So...maybe I needn't bother with that post after all.

(Incidentally, I'm writing this in a fine restaurant with a Scottish name, on a small, aged netbook with a very irritating keyboard, while sipping Dr. Pepper from a cup meant for Sweet Tea. Please don't tell the people who own this joint that I'm a terrible soft drink thief. I wouldn't want them to lock me up with the Hamburglar.)

5 comments:

prowlerzee said...

omg....do you have Comcast? I had to miss an art opening last night...including an artist from the punk era I wanted to meet...because it took HOURS for me to get my service back online.

I was not a happy camper but I have tips. Keep calling, trying different combos of responses...do NOT stay on hold for a half hour!

prowlerzee said...

ps- at first I also thought it was a late bill issue and now I'm irked that I paid that as it was not first in line!

Have you tried hard rebooting? I guess you know more than I do about such things...but the tech got me back online after I unplugged not my computer but the service box...

DanInAlabama said...

"...the situation seems to have morphed yet again. So...maybe I needn't bother with that post after all. ..."

Nada, nada, nada. Please tell me how the situation morphed, and why perusing\validating you previous story is no longer a worthwhile endeavor.

LandOLincoln said...

Dang, I dunno--I''ve got Comcast and while as a hardcore lefty I'm pretty much forced to hate their corporate guts, I have to admit that the service is pretty damned good. I can't even remember the last time I got kicked offline.

Anonymous said...

If the story you were working on had to do with rebel rather than Assad culpability on the rocket attack and the new situation is the Russian solution, I for one would still like to read it. The fact that the Assad regime is moving to eliminate its chemical stockpiles doesn't tell us anything about if or when the rebel forces may have used them - or even procured them.