Saturday, October 08, 2011

He's right. It's one or the other.

A lot of people are aghast at the words uttered by Pastor Robert Jeffress when he endorsed Perry over Romney. Jeffress called Mormonism a "cult." I don't mind that terminology -- Joseph Smith was the L. Ron Hubbard of his day -- although I'd apply it to all forms of fundamentalism, including Southern Baptist Protestantism (as practiced by Jeffress himself), ultra-Orthodox Judaism, Islamic jihadism, and the Opus Dei wing of Roman Catholicism. I'm sure that there are Hindus and Buddhists who are just as culty and butt-ugly.

But this quote from Jeffress deserves inscription on rock:
“Do we want a candidate who is a good, moral person — or one who is a born-again follower of the lord Jesus Christ?”
He's absolutely right. We face a stark choice here. Let us have the wisdom to decide wisely.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

The only difference between a religion and a cult is size.

prowlerzee said...

Size....or amount of power and money. Hell we crowned Rev. Moon in our own congressional building ---our own elected reps threw away the cross and crowned Moon as the new messiah. I guess that elevated the Uni-fucknation Church from Moonie cult to our official state religion.

The bought and paid for reps who did that ought to have been run out of DC on a rail.

Anonymous said...

In order for a cult to exist, the group must adhere to certain beliefs. I used to have a T shirt that I bought at my Zen center and it said: "Only Don't Know". All our perceptions are through the mind, which is limited. People come to practice (not believe) meditation and other Buddhist practices because we're attracted to it, and I doubt you will find a Buddhist who will try to convert another person to the Buddhist tradition. There's no savior in Buddhism. Those who are in hell (here on earth) must walk out of their hell on their own.
DM

Joseph Cannon said...

Nobody has commented on the hilarious malapropism uttered by the Pastor. Did anyone read the beyond the first paragraph of my post?

I don't mean to seem ungrateful to the readers who reacted to that first paragraph...

lastlemming said...

His comment is beyond comment.

Anonymous said...

Joseph, I guess you are surprised by the fact that Jeffress sees a difference between "a born again Christian" and "good, moral person" who is not a Christian, but to the Christian right, what matters is that someone says "I accept Jesus as my Lord and Savior". It's not surprising that their twisted minds would twist most teachings from the Bible. Apostle Paul said that salvation is a totally free gift -- not earned by good works, hence Jesus will clean all sins when the sinner dies because he said "Jesus is my Savior". The worst thing that could have happened to spirituality is organized religion.
DM

Anonymous said...

TLDR

myADD2xu

prowlerzee said...

Haha, I just thought it was a typo or partial quote. I should've known from your title, tho.