Thursday, July 14, 2011

Apology

For seven years, I have masqueraded as a surly, pugnacious, penurious, middle-aged heterosexual American male, who, despite being gruff and messy and scruffy-looking and impossible to like, has somehow managed to stay in a long-term relationship with a ladyfriend with an expertise in art history. None of that is true. I am, in fact, a lesbian living in an oppressive Middle Eastern regime. While the narrative voice may have been fictional, the facts on this blog are true and not misleading as to the situation on the ground. I do not believe that I have harmed anyone; I feel that I have created an important voice for issues that I feel strongly about. I only hope that people pay as much attention to the people of the United States and their struggles in this year of debt, joblessness and impoverishment.

But the cute dog is real. And, y'know, the Bernadette thing.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

WTF???!?!? I don't think this will fool the CIA.

cat lady

Anonymous said...

Can I have the dog? I'm also real.

Perry Logan said...

I knew it. I totally knew.

Peter of Lone Tree said...

The latest post at An Arab Woman Blues by Layla Anwar is "The Cleansing of Iraq.1." Might do you well to give it a read. Caution: She doesn't pull any punches.

Twilight said...

Hmmmm - Why suddenly "come out" though? Or are you testing us to see if we'll believe just ANY OLD THING?

I recall back in 2008 you published some of your artwork, and at that point I began to wonder if you were someone masquerading as someone else, even thought you might be female at that point. But since then, you've polished up your act a lot.

Either way, you're playing a blinder.

I don't really care who's writing here, as long as it's thought provoking and engaging, which it usually is.

Gorgeous dog!

Anonymous said...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/mobile/world-middle-east-13744980

arbusto205 said...

I hate non three-lettered acronyms, but ROTFL. I guess this means you are Julian Assange after all.