Friday, February 18, 2011

Why there is no hope for this country

This, believe it or not, is the best-selling paperback nonfiction book at the present time.

Naturally, my second reaction (after "How can Americans be so dumb?") was, as always, this: "How can I get on this gravy train?"

The question is silly, since I seem to be permanently barred from all gravy trains. Still, let me pitch this idea to ya: A book about the reality of hell. One man goes in search of the Devil, intent on having a face-to-face encounter, only to end up getting more than he bargained for. And it's all true, sweartagod!

(As you might guess, I've been reading Huysmans lately.)

During my cross-country journey, I checked out a major bookstore in Missouri. "Christian" literature (big print, short words, lots of pictures) took up about half the store. Wittily, the Catholic books were kept segregated from the "Christian" books, and were stashed next to works about Judaism and Buddhism. Much of the rest of the store was devoted to Twilight novels and other examples of vampiriana. The common theme throughout seemed to be blood-drinking: Believers long for the blood of the Lamb while seculars want to slurp from annoying emo chicks.

4 comments:

RedDragon said...

I saw that kid and his parents hawking that tripe on TeeVee the other day!

Mama and Daddy sure figured out a way to cash in on their child's imagination!

Damn! Why didn't I think of that when my kids were telling me there was a monster in their closet?

Lea said...

Here's what you need. A sex tape. Worked for the talentless Kardashian family: they walked away with $65 million in 2010.

So get crackin'.

Zee said...

Well, the LaRouchies are out in force again, hawking the same imminent financial meltdown that has kept the Ron Paulites enthralled for decades.

Write a book with a misunderstood hero a la Ayn Rand's Atlas Shrugged, add in the financial apocalypse factor, and start a cult. Just make sure your SO understands this will also involve sex with acolytes.

Anonymous said...

The scumbags who wrote the amazon reviews made me feel sick. Minister my ass!

This whole thing sickens me. If these are people of faith, no wonder torture has come back in fashion.

I don't have the words. I just wish the blond, blue eyed Jesus would come back and tell these people how much he hates them.

Harry