Wednesday, May 06, 2009

Haiku

Corrente is having a haiku contest to describe the economy and/or the stress tests. My offering:

Green shoots? Smell my boots.
The whole thing is coming down
Just like rotten fruits.

(Haiku doesn't have to rhyme -- but there's no rule against it, is there?)

6 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:17 PM

    I woulda said "smell my toots" but that's just me

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous8:44 PM

    The rule for a haiku is the number of syllable per line: 5, 7, 5. The poem must have only three lines and rhymes are not required.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was aware of those rules, and I was under the impression that I had observed them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous1:49 AM

    Where are those green shoots?
    No dough, no job, no health care
    A warm and clear day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, there are rules...and humorous social commentary is called something else...renga...maybe not, that may be a chain poem...I can't recall, sorry!

    But the American version of the haiju is the cinquain...

    5 lines, syllable count as follows: 2, 4, 6, 8, 2

    We've no
    debtor's prison
    but rank untouchables
    by scarlet credit score, to mark
    out-castes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hoarseface8:13 PM

    Here are my contributions. I would have offered them to Corrente, but I'm too damn lazy to register.


    Who is your Daddy?
    Shut up, don't you know better?
    Bow to your masters.
    -----------------------
    Don't you get it?
    To be a victim by choice
    sets a great example.
    -----------------------
    My whole family
    is out of work. Who to blame?
    We must be lazy.
    -----------------------
    We should thank the banks
    for our meager existence.
    Who are we to judge?
    ------------------------
    Who says you are smart?
    You have fucked up everything.
    Why aren't you in jail?
    ------------------------
    Who gets my money?
    Elaborate Ponzi Schemes.
    Pass me my pitchfork.
    ------------------------
    I once had a job.
    Now I have desperation.
    Congratulations.
    ------------------------
    Mission Accomplished.
    Break our backs, exploit our labor.
    We like it like that.
    ------------------------
    Where are the trials?
    The social contract? broken.
    We are all to blame.

    ReplyDelete