Saturday, May 02, 2009

Follow-up to previous discussions

Let's update a few previous posts...

Bella: First, thanks for all the concern over my hell-hound Bella. She has finally begun to rally, although her tummy remains tender. Within a week, she should regain her ferocity of old.

At times like this, I'm glad I didn't reproduce. Friends have told me how anxious they feel when a kid is sick and nothing further can be done but to wait out the illness. If a dog had me frantic enough to claw the wallpaper -- well, I don't know how parents manage to keep their equilibrium.

The earlier post evinced an interesting debate over doggie diet. One reader stumps for BARF -- Bones And Raw Food -- while another insists that his pooch does fine on vegetarian cuisine. You can lose yourself for days researching pet food, as with just about any other topic. For now, I'm taking reader Lori's suggestion (seconded by the vet) that my dog should maintain a bland diet of (cooked) chicken and rice.

Zodiac: Another Zodiac candidate has come forth, and this one appears rather more interesting. In this case, we have actual evidence, in the form of old film showing an actual dead body -- which means that we do have a crime, even though it may not be a Zodiac crime.

Just as long as it's not Artie Allen. The evidence against him never added up to much (in my view) -- and Graysmith's second book was hardly as compelling as his first.

Twitter twits: That post was my way of addressing a larger question. Is privacy a thing of the past? Do the young care about it? Are such concerns only for us Ancient Ones?

My mind goes back to the opening of Juno -- a nearly perfect film, except for that first scene. It rankles me. As you may recall, the film begins with our 16 year-old heroine in a convenience store, taking a series of pregancy tests while the dweeb behind the counter offers caustic commentary on her condition. At one point, a similarly-aged customer asks Juno if her nipples hurt.

Even in the free-for-all '70s, even in Hollywood, young people did not discuss potential pregnancy with nameless dolts populating convenience stores. I do not advocate treating unwed motherhood as a shameful matter, but I do consider it a personal matter. Do you want to inhabit a world in which strangers feel free to ask about the state of your nipples?

Argyll and beyond: I'll return to this important matter in future articles, even though the original post attracted little attention.

I understand now that I wrote the preceding post backwards. The lede should have been "Prominent Mormon uses goat's blood to extend life." If that opener doesn't fetch attention from the more paranoid fundamentalist sites, I've lost my touch.

Seriously, I hold no animus toward Alan Osmond, and I hope that he will answer my emailed questions about his relationship with Immunosyn.

Now let's zoom out for a wider view.

In more general terms, I'm continually stunned to learn just how much money was siphoned from this economy by Ponzi schemes, pump-and-dump stock plots, and other forms of fraud. Indeed, the whole range of financial trickery that evolved out of the mortgage bubble constitutes a variant of pump-and-dump.

Americans don't make anything any more. That's the problem. We don't make TVs or drums or motherboards, and pretty soon we won't make cars.

So we sell each other our debts, because debt is the primary thing we have left. We sell each other our land, because India and China cannot make American property. We sell our religious faith every time we pay a preacher to tell us what we already believe. We sell our cheap little dreams of vengeance every time Hollywood makes an action movie. We even sell our genitalia -- or rather, our loneliness -- as evidenced by all those pathetic internet ads for dating sites.

The modern American economy depends on the commoditization of things -- sex, soil, psychoses, soteriology and scams -- that the original inhabitants of this land never would have considered items of commerce. Neither Adam Smith nor Karl Marx could have predicted this absurd form of capitalism.

7 comments:

ain't bea said...

good news about your bella. just an extra thank you for continuing to shine your light on the absolute premeditation and "malice aforethought" re the sickening plunder of this country. well done!

Anonymous said...

I'm a big fan of the coke jet stories. The post got my attention.

I'm so glad Bella is getting better.

Boston Boomer

MrMike said...

First thing came to mind when you posted about Bella was the Chinese wheat gluten contaminated with rat poison that got into pet foods.
The second thing was a comment made by a Canadian guy I know while we were a Chryslers at Carlisle meet 15 years ago. He said the only industry left in the lower 48 was yard sales and insurance.
The third thing is why did Obama appoint some of the guys that helped steal the horse to repair the barn door? And when is that door going to be repaired so this doesn't happen again. Or is he waiting, hoping we will forget so it can be back to monkey business as usual on Wall St?

Anonymous said...

Good news about Bella. Since her tummy is still tender, I'm convinced it was pancreatitis, my abdomen is sore to the touch for a week after the initial pain and nausea subsides.

RedDragon said...

I'm glad to hear that your Bella is doing better Joe.

DancingOpossum said...

So, so, so glad that Bella is better! And yes, a bland cooked diet sounds just right for her tender tummy. My mom had a beloved Siamese cat that she started feeding homemade chicken and rice in broth to for a stomach condition and the cat did so well on this, she continued to feed it to her the rest of her (Kitty's) life.

Anonymous said...

[url=http://priligyonline-dapoxetine.net/]Priligy Dapoxetine[/url] Doxycycline Hyclate 100 Mg http://lasixonline-buy.com/