Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Deviltry


I have decided to start the hijinx early this year, so please forgive a non-political post in mid-week.

Even if you despise opera, watch this video through to the end -- this one made me burst out laughing on a day when I thought that nothing in this world could make me smile. Boy, I wasn't expecting that. A sublime finale. (That's Joan Sutherland as Marguerita, and she is excellent.)

Believe it or not, the above may not be the weirdest version of the final scene from Gounod's Faust ever committed to YouTube. The Sheer Strangeness award goes to this production staged by the inimitable Ken Russell, who (in The Devils) invented the whole "naughty nun" genre of film-making. Here, he could not resist inserting much penguinage into what had been a penguin-free narrative. The final imagery is incredibly striking, even though it has little to do with the composer's intent. Although I miss seeing the choir of angels, I like this video more every time I see it. While many things are beyond our understanding, nothing is beyond our Ken.

If you have no idea what's going on and you want English subtitles, try this, which offers nearly the entire final scene, and which features a truly top-notch Devil. This version also ends non-traditionally: That's supposed to be Gounod, the composer, at the very end.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ken Russell was always great camp. Loved the film The Devils. Unfortunately, there it is not out on DVD but I did copy the VHS version to one for myself. Poor quality copy is better than nothing. Happily the Penderecki opera Die Teufel Von Loudun is available. Although the quality is not great either since it is a made for TV filmed performance. Still it is a delight and well worth buying.

Mike