Saturday, February 14, 2009

Happy Bella's birthday

Around these parts, February 14 is considered "Bella's birthday," because the dog was found on or around this day in 2001. As a result, the romantic dinner "out" usually translates into a trip to an all-night burrito stand. Bella has to eat too. She likes pollo and carne asada.

After much searching, I think that I have finally discovered her breed: She's a Bichon Havanese. I think. Judge for yourself. (That's not her on the other end of that link -- honest!) If this identification is correct, then she is of Cuban origin, descended from a small collection of 11 dogs brought to the U.S. after the revolution.

Bella hates grooming and runs from the sight of scissors, so she never (or rarely) looks like those show dogs. Still, she is royalty, or at least aristocracy. She certainly runs this household, although the dictatorship is benign.

You will probably celebrate this day with a loved one -- fine dining, chocolates, soft music, a Dario Argento movie, the works. But you probably did not know, until now, that you were going to all this fuss just to celebrate Bella's birthday. Have a happy one.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday, Bella! (Well named, Joseph! A beautiful dog!)

djmm

Anonymous said...

There are some funny Havanese videos over a YouTube. I have a neighbor who has one and they are real characters.

Happy Birthday to Bella! I take it no Bellettes are on the way? It is hard to imagine a chihuahua nailing a dog that size though I know they are resourceful and determined dogs.

Joseph Cannon said...

Lori, it was the strangest thing. Bella went into pseudo-heat again a week or two ago. But there seem to be no offspring in the offing. She's fixed, but the neighborhood hounds seem to think otherwise. Lord knows why.

Anonymous said...

You know, there are blood/genetic tests that will determine for sure her background.

C'mon....it's so worth the expense. LOL

Anonymous said...

Lori~ I learned a lesson about those little chihuahua types.

I had an Arabian mare and a little male burro.

Vet was from Yorkshire, with a heavy accent. His father had been a vet with 'James Harriot'.

He came one day for the usual well-check, and said the mare looked like she might be pregnant. I said "She is not! They don't do that!" He said "You don't know what they're doing when you're not looking!" I said, "He can't reach!" He said "OH YES HE CAN!"

So vet prepared to perform the examination the old-fashioned way... roll up sleeve and go on in all the way up. Vet said, "Could we stand in the sheit?" I looked down and said, "We ARE standing in the shit." He said, "In the SHADE."

Happily, I didn't have to take horsie to board at the 'Home for Unwed Mares'.

empty said...

That is definitely a Bichon Havanese. We have one and when I saw the picture I did a double take. Enjoy Bella. I am sure she enjoys you. Especially during mealtimes :)