Wednesday, December 24, 2008

The season

Being a curmudgeon, I normally don't write holiday glop. But a couple of days ago, the temporary Cannonfire offices had a visitor -- a nearly-nine year old girl, granddaughter of a friend. The girl hit it off with my dog Bella, who is also nearly nine.

Bella remains a puppy at heart, healthy and energetic. She loves to visit parks off-leash and run. She runs wide circles and figure eights. She runs for the ecstasy of speed. No human being has ever been able to catch her, until the little girl in the photo came along.

Although this year has not been good for me, the holiday season has been good indeed, better than a scoundrel like myself deserves. It's been good for others as well. I see many happy people around me.

And yet they all share my sense of unease, as though these are the last good times Americans may know before the entire superstructure of our lives rots beneath our feet. We still put up lights, make fudge, roast turkeys -- but we punctuate these activities with jokes (that are not jokes) about the possibility of soon being relegated to sleeping in the car: "Glad I bought an SUV..."

Where will we be next year?

Probably not in a good place. The way ahead looks unpleasant.

So don't look in that direction.

That's the message of the girl and the dog in the picture. Children grow up. Puppies will one day stop running quite so fast. So don't think about that time; think about this time.

I am a political animal, and politically speaking, I am not a happy man. My party has betrayed its principles. My country, which not long ago openly called itself an empire, now stands mired in financial sludge.

I also used to operate under the delusion that I had talent. That is to say, I used to draw rather well -- well enough to make a living at it. Now the engine refuses to start. At night, I dream that I am back at the ad agency, trying desperately to draw a simple triangle. (For some absurd reason, that's the project in the dream: drawing a triangle.) But it always comes out wrong.

And then I wake up.

The dog licks my face. Endlessly. I greet each morning wearing a mask of puppy saliva.

A few hours later, a friend shows up with her granddaughter and everyone who meets the little girl spoils her rotten. I cook a pot roast. We go for a drive at night. We sing Christmas music while we scope out gaudy seasonal displays. I wonder if I'll get the chance to tell the girl the story of the Christmas meteor. Have I told that story in these pages...? Well, maybe one day...

Joy is parceled out in moments. That's all we get. Small moments, mere moments, subtle moments, transitory moments.

Live in them.

19 comments:

ladypuma2 said...

An excellent suggestion- off to spread some moments of joy with my patients. Much more satisfying then the airing of grievances.......
at least on Christmas Eve.

Anonymous said...

"The dog licks my face. Endlessly. I greet each morning wearing a mask of puppy saliva."

What does she lick just before she licks your face?

I had a dog with a tongue like Gene Simmons. You thought you were out of her range and she'd surprise you like a frog catching a fly.

"Schluup!"

Mike Ombry said...

The internets have given us even more connections than in the past. I think this is a good thing that will help us in the times to come. Merry Christmas and thanks.

creeper said...

What a wonderful post to wake up to on Christmas Eve. Thanks, Joe...for this and all you do.

Merry Christmas to you.

Shainzona said...

We didn't buy any presents this year - but will have plenty of parcels of joy under the tree tomorrow morning.

This past year has been filled with great joy. We will hold it close in the coming 3 years.

Happy holidays to all!!!

Best wishes for a safe, healthy, happy 2009.

Anonymous said...

I wish you many wonderful moments in the coming year and the realization that your insight and writing are very much appreciated. I just found your blog a few months ago and I've learned so much from you.

One of the things that I've discovered is that appreciation of my work abilities declined as I grew older. The quality of my work never declined. In fact, I think it improved with experience but age bigotry is a powerful thing and, at times, it made me doubt myself. Don't doubt the talents that you know you have.

old dem

The Other Elizabeff said...

I've been getting more comfortable with my Tao Te Ching lately, myself.

I also feel unease as I spend money on my son. I sent him to an animation class and signed him up for a snowboarding program. Shouldn't I save the money? I thought. I decided against. If everyone decides to stop living, the economy gets that much worse that much more quickly. And the amount in question wouldn't help me survive more than a month. So my son made a little movie and in January is off to the slopes.

The best I can do is to ensure I have no debt whatsoever, fewer possessions, and as little attachment to the life I have as possible.

Merry Christmas, and may God have mercy on us all.

DarkGravity said...

Amen, sir.

Anonymous said...

I so needed to read this today. Thanks Joe.

Anonymous said...

Good advice. I plan to enjoy the smiles on my little nephews' faces tonight and tomorrow. There isn't a whole lot I can do about the rest of the mess right now.

Thanks for all your great writing this year--and previous years. I've been reading you silently for ages!

Boston Boomer

Anonymous said...

My sentiments exactly, but I usually rely on King James' scholars who put it very well.

"Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof."

Harry

Anonymous said...

Thank you, Joe.

Rompadinker

Bob Harrison said...

Freud might have something to say about your triangle.

Merry Christmas, anyway!

Edgeoforever said...

Adopted my rescued dog about a month ago - I hear you loud and clear.
Family and friends as well.
Happy Holidays to all!

Anonymous said...

Life is terribly beautiful...and we can focus on the terrible part or the beautiful part....

Anonymous said...

Joseph, your talent for writing is undiminished. I never comment, but I've been here reading for a long time. Your integrity and insight have meant a great deal to me this year, when so many people have disappointed.

Best wishes to all for the new year.

Anonymous said...

Curmudgeon, my foot. Merry Christmas, you old softy. Our budding internet "friendship" is one of the blessings I'm thankful for this holiday season.

Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas to you and yours,Joe.

Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas/Happy Hanukkah/Joyous Whatever to you and yours!