Tuesday, December 09, 2008

GRRR! WORD 2007! GRRRRR!!!

Yeah, you came here to read snarky words about politics, not to listen to me bitch about Microsoft. But bear with me just this once.

I'm trying out Microsoft 2007. I'm doing a simple cut and paste, from a web article into a word document, just as I've done a zillion times before. For some reason, before this process can go forward, the program tries to access the internet. I use my firewall to deny access, because I don't allow any software -- ever -- to contact the internet unless it needs to. (Firefox needs to; Word does not.)

Word refuses to to complete the operation. At the bottom of the window, I see these words: "Contacting the server for information."

WHY? Why in the name of God? WHY? Why does Word try to contact the internet when all I am doing is a simple CUT AND FREAKING PASTE? WHY????

I suggest you stick with Microsoft Word 2003 or earlier.

11 comments:

Citizen K said...

Ah, Joseph, take a break - enjoy Heinrich Isaac's “Fortuna Desperata".* Think of the donna eletta and consider Breughel's The Census at Bethlehem.
http://www.harpers.org/archive/2008/11/hbc-90003880
After this day, I needed such a moment and wet eyes and the silence after.

*scroll down for the link to Isaac's piece.

Joseph Cannon said...

Will Breughel tell me why Word wants to contact a server just to do a simple damn text paste?

THAT makes me feel more like I'm trapped in a Bosch...

Citizen K said...

Since I'm serene now, I take no offense from Mr. Grouchy but instead Google for his answer:

http://www.itwriting.com/blog/96-word-2007-clipboard-slowdown.html

http://www.eggheadcafe.com/software/aspnet/29691965/word-2007--contacting-th.aspx

http://labnol.blogspot.com/2007/09/microsoft-office-2007-contacting-server.html

http://www.tutorials-win.com/WordDoc/contacting-server/

Four different responses but no adequate response to why it happens.

Edgeoforever said...

That, or get a Mac...Someone was bound to say it.

Anonymous said...

Joseph, try this -

Word Options->Advanced->Cut, Copy and Paste

Change the "settings" for "Use Smart Cut and Paste" to "Default Word 97 -2000"

What's happening is it's copying the web page formatting and checking with the original site to ensure it's correct, as sites can change their text dynamically.

One of those nice "features" only 1 in 100000 people actually wants .... :/

Perry Logan said...

You might try WordPerfect--an infinitely superior word processor, which is still available.

Anonymous said...

You say "Word" I say "WordPerfect"

Sextus Propertius said...

You might want to try OpenOffice (www.openoffice.org). Bill has enough of your money, after all.

Anonymous said...

Try Open Office. Works well, and it's free.

creeper said...

I'll second that notion on Word Perfect. If ever there was a word processor that just plain worked, it's Word Perfect.

A little bonus...it's so user friendly that you don't have to go to school for a week to figure it out.

Bob Harrison said...

The best word processor ever is any version of AmiPro which eats Word Perfect's cludgy lunch. AmiPro became LotusNotes and thus became a lesser product. Word is servicable as long as you keep practically every new feature turned off. OpenOffice is damn good. It is by far the best deal financially of any word processor. Free is great!