Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Let's re-lose China

While wandering through the aisles of the local Wal-Mart, I noticed that most of the goods on offer were manufactured in China. Clearly, China is far too formidable a competitor.

That's when it hit me: In order to whup China's ass in the marketplace, we must convert that country to a system that does not work very well, such as Maoism.

Yes, I know that China technically still is Communist. It is certainly a dictatorship. The government still encourages a nostalgic reverence for the Great Oarsman. But let's face it -- the guys running the place these days are capitalist roaders, and it's no use pretending otherwise.

So what happened to good old-fashioned Maoism? "I'd like to think that in neighborhood of Peking, something will remain," said the Chairman to the Trickster vis-a-vis the legacy of Maoism. The trouble is, not much remains -- not enough to cause trouble. Obviously, those poor people need a new Great Leap Forward, a new Cultural Revolution, a new Hundred Flowers Campaign, a new yada yada yada. So here's my idea:

Let's publish a new edition of Mao's little red book, and let's import it into China.

Once the Chinese people understand the virtues of Dialectical Materialism, they'll quickly understand the foolishness of trying to outrace the Imperialist paper tiger as it races down the capitalist road. Screw Ang Lee -- bring back Jean-Luc Goddard!

Of course, we need to make the words of Mao attractive for modern Chinese readers. I'm thinking of publishing a full-sized illustrated gift edition of a substantially enlarged little red book, filled with lots of full-color cheesecake shots of Kung-Fu Action Babes. And a hologram cover. That'll fetch 'em, or I don't know Fukien Province.

Here's my problem: Printing a thing like this is rather pricey. After calling around, I have found only one print shop willing to do the job for a rock-bottom price.

They're in China.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can not believe you shop at Wal Mart. Just send your paycheck to China, that will help them out. California alone spends millions of dollars a year to support Wal Mart employees Bcause they have such bad employment practices. Wal Mart hurts our economy in so many ways. Plus, they sell cheap junk.

M

Anonymous said...

If I can't buy domestic, I don't buy it. This is the magic key to living on a $1300/month budget. I think it's analogous to not eating processed foods when it comes to weight loss. Sure on an item-by-item basis it's more expensive, but overall you consume a lot less. Mind you, I'm single.

Anonymous said...

:sighs::: Would rather NOT shop at Wal-Mart, but until I graduate, it is what I can barely afford. After that, HELLO Neiman Marcus...

All kidding aside, my older sister works for Wal-Mart. She is no longer a floor flunky, and yes, they do chant in the morning, but they call it something else.

Does anyone recall the reporter who did not buy anything from China for a year? Had a difficult time buying things like shoes for her kids that weren't like 75 bucks a pop and basic Christmas presents.

So my take on Wal-Mart is mixed. I used to think that Wal-Mart and Starbucks were the evil of evil companies. Now I have a sister (I kid you not) that works for each of those companies. I got turned around about Starbucks. But not completely about Wal-Mart yet. (And that, Ladies and Gentlemen, is why I am in school).

Ms. Vandal