Thursday, June 12, 2008

This, we must never do

Just because I oppose Barack Obama does not mean that I would ever countenance dirty tricks. Let us therefore delineate one dastardly tactic, down to which we must never stoop.

If you go to Google and type in the word "Obama," a certain sponsored link for the campaign website will appear at the top of the page. The campaign must pay Google a small amount for every click. (From the Google Adwords site: "Pay only for results. You're charged only if someone clicks your ad, not when your ad is displayed.") Be prepared: When the link opens, you'll hear a voice you may not want to hear.

I'm not sure how many times you'd have to click on that link to cost the Obama campaign a hundred bucks a day. A keyword like "Obama" must not come cheap. A frustrated and angry person might do a whole lot of clickclickclicking -- especially while re-reading some of the false accusations of racism which the campaign's surrogates were spreading not so long ago.

(Still are spreading, actually. They want Hillary to give up those delegates. Then they want to chop off her head and hang it on the gate in front of the Obama mansion.)

But only a very naughty person would chip away at the Obama campaign budget in this fashion. Not even the outrage described here justifies such a maneuver. Don't do it. It would be wrong.

Kwisatz Haderach watch: I've written to San Francisco columnist Mark Morford, asking if he was serious when he referred to Barack Obama as a "Lightworker," as noted in an earlier post. (Scroll down.) No response. I think he meant it -- and I think he belatedly came to realise that such verbiage does his candidate no service.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't loose your time. Google Adword detects multiple clicks from the same IP address for the same keywords and don't charge them.
Don't worry, you're not the first one to have this idea. A competitor in one of my business tried to do this without success.

By clicking often, you will even lower his cost per click in the long term, since Google will consider it to be a relevant ad and not some spamming. So it might cost him less per click to be in first place than someone in 3rd place. Even when they're paid, Google tries to push the most relevant material.

I would suggest instead using variations on the keywords used, like Obama election, Obama 2008, etc.

Joseph Cannon said...

Hey, those are great ideas for things not to do!

Anonymous said...

Joe,
Chill out! Why are you ratfucking the Democratic candidate. Your person lost. Are you now a McCain backer? Please try to get over it....

Joseph Cannon said...

Anon -- I do what I do because of people like you.

Hillary was not "my" candidate. I wish she had never run. Look, I've done the riff about a zillion times already. Need I do it again?

Obama must lose because he PLAYED THE RACE CARD, ASSHOLE. He unfairly accused the Clintons of racism in order to secure the black vote, which Hillary once had.

This was despicable and unforgivable. If he succeeds, then this behavior will be rewarded. He must be punished.

Obama runs a cult. His zombies consider him a "lightworker." This type of zealous hero-worship makes me want to puke.

The prog trash who have taken over the party must be decredibilized. Right now, there IS no Democratic party. Better that the Republicans win.

When Moulitsas, Stassinopolous, Marshall, Dean\, Brazile and the rest of that swinish no longer have a voice within the party, then I can return to it.

Yes, I want McCain to win. Good kee--RIST, don't you get it? After what I've been saying her for months, don't you GET IT? Can you really be THAT FUCKING DENSE?

If you don't come here to read what I'm saying, then why on earth would you come here?

I's not like I need you, you anonymous coward. My readership has been going up, because a lot of people are just as pissed off at Obi as I am.

So go away.

Anonymous said...

SEND CHEESE

Up here at the nervous hospital there's a lot of RMD (repetitive motion disorder) time spent stacking dominos, arrnaging magazines and counting floor tiles. Maybe we could help but you'll need to send some cheese. Or food with no sharp edges.

Bubba's dad
<>_<>

Anonymous said...

Joe - keep on not doing those things one should not do. As shall I. If one were to not do these things, it would be interesting to find that "loser Obama" does not return the sponsored link, but "win Obama" does.

BTW I read your Mahler comments yesterday. For my money, the BPO/Karajan live recording of Nine is the most intense reading out there.

--Okie in exile