Monday, June 30, 2008

Intimidating reporters

These days, the few really good reporters tend to get sued, or threatened with suit -- usually over nonsense. That's one of the reasons why I admire Daniel Hopsicker, who has been harassed by lawyers on a few recent occasions. Alas, a reporter without a lot of money is more vulnerable to nuisance suits than is a journalist employed by a large organization.

I've long suspected that an overlap exists between the network of shadowy characters in Hopsicker's material and the colorful folks surrounding Obama's good friend, Tony Rezko. Consider, for example, the case of Jabir Muhammed, the son of Elijah Muhammed, founder of the Nation of Islam.

Many years ago, Jabir broke from the NOI and became a conventional Muslim. At some point, he became financially involved with Rezko. At some later point, he broke with Tony, and filed suit against him:
The lawsuit comes about nine months after a Chicago Sun-Times story in which Muhammad first publicly claimed that Rezko "embezzled" him out of his mansion and seven other properties. At the time, Rezko called the allegation baseless and "extremely hurtful ... as I have given [Muhammad] and his family millions of dollars over the years."
I'll let others work out who is at fault there. Suffice it to say, I always enjoy seeing "penniless" Tony travel in circles where people loan millions the way you or I might loan a fin.

Jabir appears in Pringle's work as one of Rezko's cronies. She says Rezko and Bill Daley (a close Obama adviser) used Jabir to secure plush minority set-aside contracts from the state.

Oddly enough, Jabir also shows up in Larry Kolbe's Overworld as one of Adnan Khashoggi's cronies.

That linkage should not be too surprising. As Timothy Noah of Slate has noted at some length, Khashoggi links up with many noteworthy individuals. Moreover, he "is connected to every shocking event that has occurred since 1960, usually by no more than one or two degrees." If you are a long-time reader of this blog, you already know what Hopsicker says about Khashoggi and the 9/11 crowd.

So far, we've played six-degrees-of-association. Please understand: I am not accusing Jabir Muhammed of doing anything untoward simply because he used to pal around with Adnan.

I'm simply pointing out that Tony Rezko traveled in some very fast company -- an international crowd. He was far more than a local mover-and-shaker.

Now, I told you that story (which is really just a preview glimpse of upcoming posts) in order to tell you this one:

Lawyers for Nadhmi Auchi -- the Iraqi/British billionaire associate of Khaddafy and Saddam Hussein, convicted by a French court of pilfering public money -- are going after Evelyn Pringle.

As you may recall, Toney Rezko received a $3.5 million loan from Auchi just when Rezko wanted to help Obama buy a $2.4 million mansion. Rezko was -- on paper -- impoverished at the time. (That's his great excuse for allowing his taxpayer-funded properties to go down the drain.) Despite this "poverty," Rezko and Auchi made elaborate business plans together. To make those plans go, they needed help from the Illinois power structure.

All of which may explain why Auchi sent the money at the exact moment when Tony Rezko wanted to help Barack Obama.

Here is what Pringle wrote in response to the threatening letter sent by Auchi's lawyer:
Although you have never informed me of your client's objections to my articles, it has been brought to my attention that you are attempting to intimidate sites that publish my work by threatening to sue them for defamation.

I ask that you cease this tactic immediately. Your actions are not only violating my right to free speech but they are also adversely affecting my business relationships and livelihood.

I will gladly defend any action filed against me in the US by your client. However, in order to sue me he would have to appear here before a jury and you and I know he is not allowed in this country. Therefore, your actions represent harassment and unlawful intimidation of a professional journalist.

If I get any more reports that you are trying to sabotage my relationships with publications, I will contact the US attorney, Patrick Fitzgerald and the US Department of Justice to seek legal advice on how to put a stop to your illegal conduct.
For more legal intimidation by Auchi's lawyers, see this eye-opener.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

After reading this post and other related articles I decided to add my two cents. I agree with Joe that; Daniel Hopsicker, Evelyn Pringle and others have done a good job with reporting and have taken a lot of abuse as well. This corruption/criminal system is so huge with so many facets to report on that trying to put it all together can be an overwhelming task. Certainly digging into this post surfaced that many seemed to shy way from trying to make sense out of what this is. And no doubt it’s like this by design.

However after spending more than 26 years in a family who’s deeply involved in the worse way this is and always will be a major part of my life. As a father I can’t walk away from my children. When their world collapses, they’ll need someone to help them. My younger son bragged about Resko being his “buddy” while we had lunch some years ago. He’s involved and I worry about how deep! Besides committing numerous murders and attempted murder among a huge list of crimes, the family is in way over their heads. They’re shipping in Ton’s of cocaine, rendition flights with the CIA and High Treason crimes going back as far as the late 70’s. They have bragged about being a CIA Asset thinking they are untouchable from getting caught. With my son, I have to weigh the reasons why he got involved in the first place. The attraction of making money coming from people you’re love as family can be very seductive. But he’s an adult in his later 20’s and should know better. At least I would think so…. But who really knows?

I’ve posted many times and there’s a lot more to my story that should help connect more dots in this sea of rising ilk. The family talked openly about many things thinking that many of us wouldn’t be able to understand. But with all of the surfacing detail, the past for me makes a lot of sense. Obama may be the big news and his links to all of this, but the family to me sits in an interesting center connecting Obama to many “others”. By the way, many of the “others” have been in the news as well but now they can be linked.

Hopsticker’s investigative work has been vital to me when added to Narco News, Bill Conroy’s work. This whole area needs to include Obama as the people involved with the family all knew him well and the family talked about Obama in the 90’s. However I feel the importance isn’t mainly about Obama. It’s really about those involved around him and my ex-wife’s family as they all explain what the larger picture is.

But it’s important to realize that the family’s link didn’t start with Obama either. It started way back in the later 70’s with laundering money for Argentina’s Dirty War, a CIA operation. Obama, for the family, came along when he started working at the law firm in the 90’s. From what the family talked about, there are many reasons as he was considered a shining star with a great deal of potential to go a long way up. It’s also important to recognize the law firm and what they do and why the family is linked to them as well. As you can see there will be a lot to talk about.

The family also talked about Auchi, Chiquita Brands, Drummond and many others because their job was to launder Drug and Gun Running money straight into property using high level administrators in big banks to hide ownership. It shouldn’t be any secret that Chicago is a huge Laundromat protected by armies of security and protection people. The news papers also help with keeping certain news from surfacing. It’s one huge system that goes all the way up on our political ladder way into the Federal area.

This post is already too long, sorry. My son is constantly on my mind and for the longest time, I’ve tried to connect with him as I can help with options to get out. We saw each other last summer while I walked our family dog, but it was in passing and we didn’t connect. I guarantee from what I know that if my son doesn’t meet with me to discuss what I have for him, he will be in the news along with many others. He has a lot to loose and it’ll all be gone if he lets his ending happen. My only hope is that he meets with me ASAP otherwise I feel he will be gone forever.

Marty Didier
Northbrook, IL