Saturday, June 28, 2008

As the French say: "See LaVey!"

(Non-political posts sometimes appear on weekends.)

I just shaved my head.

Every man who has never done so wonders what he looks like under there. Well, there's only one way to find out. And only one cost-free way for sufferers of thinning hair to spit in the eye of Mother Nature.

If you are considering a similar course of action, heed these words of advice/warning: The process takes a longer time than you might think. You'll need many new razors and lots of gel. Certain web sites will tell you that you must shave with the grain without applying pressure if you want to avoid skin irritation. Wrong. The hair simply will not detach unless you press down hard and attack from every angle. Your head will bleed, and the scalp will be red and stingy for a while. Take it like a dude.

Result: I now look an awful lot like the guy pictured to the left, except my ears aren't so dorky and instead of a snake I own a fluffy white dog. This new look should give conniption fits to the crazy person who writes every day imploring me to give my soul to Jesus or Obama or both. (My correspondent seems to conflate the two.)

So next esbat, pop on by. We'll have a barbecue. What's grilling? Don't ask. After chow, we'll have a little ceremony. Jayne will be there, along with BB and Sexy Sadie and One-Eyed Sammy. Mikey and Lilith send their regrets.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Welcome to the club

Harry

Anonymous said...

Don't let anyone tell you otherwise, it hurts to shave your head. After all these years, my head still hasn't gotten used to it. I also have a toy maltese, no reptiles. Great blog,I check back several times a day.
SteveS

Anonymous said...

Like this??
http://www.geocities.com/crawfordgirl/yul2.jpg

Anonymous said...

next phase .. a brazilian??

and yes, it's a great blog indeed

Gary McGowan said...

Here in Southeast Asia, we have (guessing) hundreds of thousands of monks, and whatever the English word for the females who do the same, who shave their heads regularly. Often with a straight razor and no gel or shaving cream. For centuries. I've yet to hear complaints.

Even from those who just enter the monkhood for a few weeks or so, who do the same.

As far as I know, the shaving is always done by another person, though, as opposed to by one's self

Go figure.

Twilight said...

Bald is sexy! Telly Savalas was seriously sexy (if you're old enough to remember him). White fluffy dogs are sexy too :-)

If you cave in and give your soul to either Jesus or Obama though, sexy or not, I'm outta here! ;-)

Had to google "esbat" - next Full Moon 18 July - plenty of time to clean down that BBQ ;-)

Anonymous said...

Anon 1:43...or should I say, Mr. Gannon, is that you? Stop hitting on Joseph! Everyone knows he's already taken. Plus, it distracts him from his real work.

2Truthy said...

Wise decision on the old burma shave to the head.

Men who exhibit male pattern baldness who don't just say WTF and go cueball (Bruce Willis started the trend -- or was it that guy who played JOHN SHAFT --- I can't remember which) end up looking like Curly from the Three Stooges.

2Truthy said...

Forgive me - I meant Larry.

Anonymous said...

Twilight..Jesus loves you too so get over it!

Joseph Cannon said...

And there's my crazy person! I thought I'd let him/her come out and say Hi to the folks, just this once.

Isn't it cute how they keep using the phrase "Get over it," even though it never has the intended effect?

Twilight said...

Cute enough! ;-)

I think they want me for a sunbeam.

Anonymous said...

Re: "Get over it"—I think it's less "cute" than "rhetorically weak" and "juvenile," but what else can you expect from the brainless hoarde at this point? Even worse is their ridiculous "Get with the program," a phrase I uniformly detest.

Get therapy, Obama supporters. Please.

Joseph Cannon said...

Oh man. "Get with the program." I've always HATED that phrase. It sounds like "We are the Borg. Prepare to be assimilated."