Tuesday, January 29, 2008

And when you're tired of worrying about the economy...

Jen (from the comments section) here...

I'm just dropping by with a reminder to Cannonfire readers to keep an eye on the ongoing crisis in Darfur.  (If you're inspired to do more than that, great, but I won't claim to have been able to contribute anything toward a solution beyond this blog entry.)  The death toll figures vary, but the conflict is estimated by some to have taken more than 90,000 lives in its five year duration, and continues to suffer from a paucity of international attention and aid.

If you're looking for a detailed analysis of the situation to date, well, this isn't the post for it.  I'm hoping this brief offering will motivate those who need motivating to get informed on their own, though I do want to include links to a BBC News timeline, Amnesty International, and Bloggers For Darfur.

Why bring it up, if for all intents and purposes I have nothing to say about it?  Because aside from the fact that I wish more progressive sites would at least discuss it, I have this sinking feeling that Darfur is going to be the biggest geopolitical nightmare faced (or not) by the next administration (after Gulf War II and our fractured relationship with Russia).  So it's something I hope everyone will think on at least a little.

No comments: