Friday, December 07, 2007

Larisa Alexandrovna

I just received a mildly miffed note from Larisa Alexandrovna, who complains that everyone has forgotten her birthday. Well, as it happens, I have been away from the 'net all day until now, so my excuse is in order. She knows that of all the internet-age citizen investigators, three have earned my highest respect and esteem: Larisa Alexandrovna, Brad Friedman, and Marcy Wheeler. I suppose I should also mention Josh Marshall, the "Blogger King" who inspired so many of us.

This day belongs to the lady from Odessa, and may those famed lion statues rise up in salute.

If you were considering a donation to this blog, might I suggest tossing a few dollars toward Raw Story? (BradBlog would be just as worthy.)

I will not tell you my own birthday, having reached an age when such remembrances are not entirely welcome. In case you're interested, I am 39. In Jack Benny years.

(Am I the only one here old enough to remember Benny...?)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

My favorite Jack Benny bit (possibly from his show): The skit where a robber walks up to Jack and says, "Your money or your life", whereupon Jack turns to the audience with a "What do I do now?" look on his face. It brought down the house.
I remember my mom telling me how he had the rep of being one of the biggest skinflints in Hollywood. "Yep," she'd say, "He gotta lot of laughs out of that business of being tighter'n bark on a tree, but he was actually a very generous person."

Anonymous said...

Darn. I was so hoping you'd tell us your birthday, Joe.

And as for LA, she has my auntie's birthday. That is entirely groovy.

BradF said...

Pearl Harbor Day, Larisa's Birthday...so difficult to remember either of them, or remember which is which ;-)

Angel Of Mercy said...

Mr. Cannon: I must say I agree whole-heartedly with your choices for top news-bloggers. I've been lurking at your site for some while now and I thought I needed to tell you that you swing a mighty big stick yourself.

Best to you during the upcoming holidays--I support the War on Christmas!--and keep up the fine work.

notjonathon said...

I'm old enough, Joe.

lee said...

LSMFT.. LSMFT...