Tuesday, October 02, 2007

Wonder Woman

I usually relegate non-political posts to the weekend, but lately I've spent my Saturdays and Sundays talking about current events. So I've decided to dedicate this weekday to piffle -- to an amusement I put together some time ago, but have not had a chance to present until now.

Y'see, a while back, I came up with an idea for a female superhero. Now is not the time to discuss that project -- suffice it to say that my intention was to create a character quite different from Wonder Woman. Although WW is generally considered a role model for pre-pubescent girls, something about her always struck me as...well, unhealthy.

What do I mean? These images -- culled from www.superdickery.com (one of the funniest sites on the web) -- should explain the situation. What follows is but a small sampling of the perviness available on that site...



Pervy, yes -- but the two covers above also display very good draftsmanship. I believe Mike Kaluta did the one on the right.

She doesn't look like she's fighting it, does she?




This last image comes to us by way of Frank Miller, the guy who gave us "Sin City." As the Superdickery webmaster puts it, "Looks like someone forgot the safe word!"

You know -- from a feminist perspective, maybe this post is political...!

2 comments:

AitchD said...

Phil Fumble

Before she retired, Fritzi Ritz
told me the rich are different from you and me.
Fritzi sometimes wore that Mary Astor look
like a working girl who didn't like to work,
unless you called her Precious or Miss and meant it,
always fussing with the logs and andirons
ash trays cigarette cases silent butlers
maybe so you could see her from all outsides
at least I could.

Ferd'nand lived below Fritzi and never said much,
he'd nod and I'd nod back in passing
(Fritzi's niece had noted elevators' vertical inertia,
how it balanced horizontal paddle-wheel revolving doors)
Now listen, I'd hear Fritzi say, how the rich say
driver and we call it chauffeur
or they call it car
and we say limousine
(Fritzi passed away before the limo and the stretch limo)
they are like whales and don't have to work
and keep society to themselves.

Ferd'nand was the last person to see Fritzi alive,
on the elevator lifting them to their flat domiciles
and she asked Ferd'nand why she couldn't have been
born more British instead of Ritz
--

http://lambiek.net/artists/b/bushmiller_e.htm

--

drewvsea said...

This was the last website on earth where I was expecting to find new wallpaper for my cellphone. Cool.