Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Noted and quoted: What are these people trying to say?

The Great Rudy: In a recent speech, Rudy Giuliani said "I investigated Yasser Arafat before anybody knew who he really was." This was in reference to the 1985 Achille Lauro hijacking.

Hmm. When did I first hear about Arafat? Probably around 1970 -- certainly before the Munich murders in '72. But Rudy's a busy man. If you want his attention, you need to get John Adams to write an opera.

Bill O'Reilly: As you are no doubt aware, Bill-O was surprised to visit a black-owned restaurant without hearing the words "Motherfucker, I want some iced tea." Back in 1972, Archie Bunker would have capped off this observation with: "Why're you lookin' at me like that, Meathead? What's wrong with sayin' something nice about the coloreds?"

Bush spoke at the U.N. and nobody applauded. Jeez. Back in 1974 (yes, I'm caught in a time warp today), even Nixon knew how to toss in a few sure-fire applause lines.

Gestures speak louder than words. Look, I really don't believe that the world's leaders are secret worshipers of Beelzebub. Honest. I'm not that kind of paranoid. I'm other kinds of paranoid, but not that kind of paranoid. But ya gotta admit: This image has a certain unnerving quality.

The pics come to us by way of Covert History and Wonkette. Many believe that when W makes this sign (even when meeting with the Queen of England!), he is referencing the University of Texas Longhorns. Is Iran's Ahmadinejad a UT alum?

Or is he trying to make the "I love you" sign? I doubt that deaf people in a Farsi-speaking land use American Sign Language. Besides, the thumb should be extended.

Or is that the traditional Persian hand-sign for iced tea?

National Public Radio turned down an opportunity to interview Bush on the topic of the 50th anniversary of school desegregation in Little Rock. A source tells me that NPR canceled the deal when Bush said "Motherfucker, I want to speak on All Things Considered."

Am I the only one who has seen that ultra-strange public service commercial which starts out with George W. Bush insulting his mother's cooking? CUT TO: Babs, looking peeved. Then she pitches the idea of families having dinner together. She informs us that kids who eat with Mom and Dad on a regular basis are less likely to grow up to do drugs.

As George did.

I'm not making this up.

Somehow, I can't picture BB doing the Ray-Ray thing. But I can picture Lil' Bush at the table, telling a servant: "Motherfucker, I want some iced tea!"

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

They are giving the University of Texas "HookEm Horns" sign. Both big Longhorn fans.

Joseph Cannon said...

Chuck, I mentioned that theory. You responded to the pic without reading the text.

I don't think American football is big in Iran.

Hyperman said...

If you follow the theory that Bush mother is the daughter of Allister Crowley, it would make sense that Bush is a secret worshipper of Satan, no ? :)

For Ahmadinejad, my paranoid mind often wondered if he isn't a puppet like Bush, working for the same masters. It often looks like he's doing everything he can to be demonized and justify an attack on his country. But I only give a +/-1% probability to that paranoid theory...

Anonymous said...

I'd like to see a journalist simply asking a direct question, of both men (or of Bill Clinton, or Tony Blair, or any other political leader throwing 'the sign'):

(at press conference) Sir- you know, when you make that little sign with your hands, with the forefinger and the little finger extended- what does that mean?"

I'd like to hear an explanation, on the record, straight from his mouth. And afterward, I'll decide if it's convincing.

Because it certainly isn't the American Sign Language hand symbol for 'I love you'...as others have pointed out, that gesture requires the thumb to be extended outward, and I consider it highly unlikely that anyone teaching such a symbol to the President would teach an obvious inaccuracy.

Anyway- what's up with the theory that he's signalling all of the hearing-impaired Ameslan users in the audience 'I love you'? He doesn't sign on or off to any of the rest of his audience with the statement 'I love you'...that would make him sound like Carol Channing. There are a number of other Ameslan signs that would be more appropriate.

Does Bush have a sign interpreter at all of his speeches? I've never seen one. If he does, that makes his gesture superfluous. If he doesn't, that makes it gratuitous, if not outright spurious...as pointed out previously, that is not the proper Ameslan sign.