Saturday, June 09, 2007

The woman who says she saw Bush have gay sex

From time to time, and for quite some time, I have discussed the strange case of Leola McConnell, the Las Vegas-based professional Dominatrix who insists that, back in the 1980s, she witnessed our beloved president George W. Bush engaged in an act of gay sex with Victor Ashe, currently the ambassador to Poland.

One reason I enjoy telling this story is that it affords me the opportunity to remind readers that Victor Ashe and Dubya were college roommates, and that they were both male cheerleaders.

Even before Leola started to gain attention from the national media -- okay, the tabloid media -- I had asked her for an interview. She has hinted that the Bush/Ashe story has confirmatory evidence, and I naturally wanted to know what that confirmation might be.

Now, I wasn't born yesterday. I understand that such tales rarely pan out. Nevertheless (I reasoned), I had nothing to lose by talking to the woman.

Wrong. Anyone other than a saint or a Buddhist monk who interacts with Leola McConnell stands a very good chance of losing something important: His temper.

First, she asked me to edit a rather lengthy example of her writing. (Although she is hawking a book, her writing style is -- let us put the matter charitably -- unprofessional.) Without asking a penny, I translated her extended thoughts into the English language.

Upon learning that I am, in my "other" life, a graphic artist and illustrator, she asked me to draw a picture of her in a superhero costume, with "Mona Lisa" colors (whatever that is supposed to mean). She mentioned something about using the piece on t-shirts and other materials. And she intimated that there would be money involved, although we never discussed an exact figure.

I should mention that she is also a female body-builder. To be frank, the buffed-up Femme-Domme look is not one I care for, on a personal level. But, hey, I'll ape John Byrne's work all the live-long day -- if you pay me.

(Byrne, for those who don't know, used to draw the She-Hulk.)

I could not quite understand all of her instructions -- the language barrier, again -- so I did a preliminary drawing, just to help get us on the same page regarding character design. I include a small version of that sketch here.

She didn't like it. She said the position made her look like she was kneeling. She had other problems.

No prob, I told her. It was just a preliminary sketch, and the positioning wasn't important at this stage; I was focusing on the costume details. (As you can see, I was thinking along the lines of something Green Lantern-ish.) I've worked in Hollywood, and believe me, I'm used to do-overs.

My communications were all very polite, friendly, professional and breezy in tone. Nothing could have prepared me for her next email:
I can't believe you made me look so subby. You know what, I've got this really good Voo-doo woman from Haiti. I'm going to have her made a Joe doll and do all kinds of weird shit to if you draw me as a sub again. When you parts start fucking falling off don't come crying to me, take it off Leola, take the curse off, pretty please -- I'm going to put you on iggy. When you manly parts shrink into nothing, don't blame moi. I'm going to call her right now and tell her to get to work--she's got one eye amd wears tiny heads on her dress so you just know it ain't looking good for ou already. Got me crawling around on all fours, unreal. I'll give you cannon-fire alright. Leola
Well.

I've had people tell me they didn't like my work before, but nobody else has ever reacted quite like that.

Leola then proceeded to send me a series of follow-up letters that were even more bizarre than the one printed above. She even saw fit to include obnoxious and outlandish references to my girlfriend (whom she has never encountered and does not know at all). She also insinuated that I sent her my phone number because I wanted phone sex.

(I send contact info to all my professional clients. Every freelancer in this game does likewise. The thought of phone sex with the She-Hulk is about as unpleasant to me as is the idea of a Dick Cheney presidency.)

Leola launched her bizarre attacks without any consideration for the fact that her entire "George-n-Victor" story rests, for now, upon her credibility. At this point, she doesn't have any. I am not an expert in the field of mental health and thus cannot offer any professional opinion of this woman's sanity. However, I have -- how to put this without giving too much away? -- I have a pretty good idea of what an actual, bona fide shrink might say about the missive published above.

Absent any third-party confirmation, I think we can now safely deposit Leola McConnell's tales of Victor and Dubya into the dumpster.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

How 'bout steroids?

QUOTE:
A recent study of female bodybuilders showed that one-third reported current or past steroid use

One in 16 of these women reported engaging in a violent act while taking these drugs. Such acts are often referred to as "'roid rage."

http://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/news/20000214/steroids-eating-disorders-females

Kate

Joseph Cannon said...

This is a message to "lee," whose comment I did not post. C.O. and M.P. really are fakes -- I was dealing with them directly long before you ever heard of 'em. Long, long story, and I would rather tell it elsewhere.

Anonymous said...

Dude you should have known all along that she was a kook. This letter just confirms it.

Anonymous said...

Wow.

I certainly don't want to lend credibility to someone I agree is looped but ...

Food for thought, I once was close to someone, a lawyer in fact, from the Caribbean who seriously believed in this voodoo stuff and offered several first-hand experiences that did leave me curious about it. You were sick this week, right? I'm not sayin' but just sayin'...

Anonymous said...

Dear Joseph,

That was really funny, that out of nowhere sort of jack in the box quote you posted from this woman coming unglued all because she didn't like your graphic of her.

she's worse than any 9/11 tranny! ha ha ha (oh no)

She's up there with Yoko who uses her voodoo high priests/priestesses (or whatever they call them) to put spells on her enemies.

You were so very kind to volunteer and help her with editing, creating a graphic image, and then she reveals her true colors!

makes you kind of wonder how many of these folks who have "real information" about the Bushies are either off their rocker or simply disinformation agents of some sort.

That's funny, accusing you of wanting phone sex with her.

Who knows, maybe she got off her meds as she got closer to actually publishing her book? There is hundreds of millions of money being spent off the books, we have no way of knowing how that money is being spent. Why wouldn't the bushies do everything in their power to destabilize anyone that has any real information about them? It may be cheaper to make their enemies crazy or suicide them than it is to kill them the old fashioned way or set them up in an accident, lace their food with some kind of pancreatic cancer inducing substance/virus, etc.

Well thanks anyway for having looked into this story.

sorry you are now being targeted by her voodoo crap.

eat lots of garlic and drink lots of bottled water (they put too much flouride and chorine into the tap water by the way), sit out in the sun for at least 10 minutes a day and make sure you exercise everyday!

Anon from SF

Anonymous said...

what does "subby" mean? I've never heard it used before until now.

Obviously it is something derogatory of course but what does it mean exactly?

I bet she's now even more furious at you for posting her emailed rants at you.

Anonymous said...

one well-known law of voodoo:
the more energy and thought you devote to anything, the more power you give it.
raises the question of just why in the world you would bother to waste your time even penning a post about her. she is clearly a tortured soul, at least that email response suggests as much.
just leave her be, why doncha? plenty of real pressing issues in the world that better deserve your attention.

Anonymous said...

Well, I think you should post an illustration of her wearing a dog collar on a leash on all fours, eating dog excrement and looking like Rosy O'Donnel.

Anonymous said...

Subby is probably the opposite of 'dom'-- dom for dominant, subby for submissive.

Which would explain her rage, in a fashion. Not only would being portrayed as a submissive have set her off, but it would have triggered her dominatrix side. And that's a decent characterization of her abusive communications style.

sofla

Joseph Cannon said...

sofla, I doubt that you will read this at this point. But I will write it anyways.

I know about the BDSM world. It's playacting, mostly. Theater.

I mean, we are all, in a sense, two people: The side we show to our sexual partner is not the side we show to the outside world.

In other words, a Dom or a sub cannot talk AS a Dom or sub when communicating with bank officers or carpenters or the PTA or Senators or employees or employers or whatever.

But.

There are some Doms and subs who are SO deeply enmeshed into their personas that they can't break out of them, even momentarily. These people are always "on."

It's a form of craziness, really.

So, yeah, you have people like Leola who feel obligated to play the role even at times when it is not appropriate. There are also subs (male and female) who feel obligated to spell the word "I" in lower case, even when writing to the phone company.

Madness.

It's sort of like an actor playing Scrooge who keeps saying "Bah! Humbug!" even after the play has ended its run. Or maybe it's more like that story we all heard as kids (if you are of my generation) -- the legend that George Reeves died because he became convinced that he really was Superman and jumped off a roof.