Wednesday, June 13, 2007

The shirt off his back

Someone is trying to make a few million dollars on Ebay by selling the shirt JFK allegedly wore on inauguration day. The shirt comes with a Letter of Authenticity (which is mere paper) and a provenance. Offhand, I can think of a few million reasons why someone might want to fake up a provenance. Such things have happened before.

Amusingly, the company running the auction is called Kompolt, which is very close to the word "complot." Look it up!

5 comments:

John said...

Joe, it appears to be for real, and legit!

They've got a pretty good history of high-dollar auctions.

John
SluggoJD

Joseph Cannon said...

Really? Because I happen to have an ACTUAL CONDOM used during an encounter with Marilyn...

Anonymous said...

http://www.auctionbytes.com/cab/abn/y07/m01/i12/s04

The above story is one of almost 10,000 results offered on an "Alltheweb" search. With bids starting at over $2 million, I doubt they are going to attract a stream of bids from suckers. I agree, it looks legit. Either way, no worries about me getting ripped off on this one.

About that condom - how much?

Hyperman said...

We could extract DNA from the condom and use it to create a clone of JFK !

Joseph Cannon said...

Well, er, actually, I never specified that this was JFK's condom...just that there was a girl named Marilyn involved...

Incidentally, that reminds me of one of my favorite jokes: Two five-year-olds are talking. One says: "I found a condom on the veranda." They other one says: "What's a veranda?"