Saturday, April 21, 2007

I believe we have discovered Fred Thompson's weakness

Have you noticed the images accompanying this post? Good. I thought they might attract your attention.

The lady on the left is country singer Lorrie Morgan, former girlfriend of Fred Thompson, the actor and former Senator now considering a run for the Republican presidential nomination. The lady on the right, standing next to the jowled one, is not his daughter but his current wife, Jeri Kehn, a "media consultant" who worked for the RNC.

A pattern emergeth.

In case you are wondering, Fred is 64. Jeri is 40 -- years old; I do not refer to any physical measurement.

(Dare I make the obvious joke? Yes. I am beyond shame.)

It's no wonder Fred remains loyal to Bush and Cheney -- he has a weakness for big boobs.

Whenever I suspect that I am over the hill, I shall have to remind myself that Fred married his first wife before I was born. The teen-aged couple lived in public housing, a luxury which you know damn well Fred would deny to anyone in similar straits today.

Since the lovely Jeri is an image consultant, maybe she can explain to the Jesus voters why they should consider all Democrats to be opponents of family values, even though our current candidates have managed to remain married to their original spouses. Perhaps she can also explain why "Hollywood" involvement with politics is such a horrible, evil, unforgivable thing, except when the Hollywooder in question is a Republican.

Good ol' Fred -- or, as some call him, "Hef" -- has also come out in favor of allowing every college student the right to carry a concealed weapon on campus. That'll make things much safer.

Previously, I thought Thompson would be the strongest Republican candidate. Now I am not so sure.

Did you know that he spent years as a lobbyist -- for the Savings and Loan Industry, among other clients? Did you know that he was the industry's "point man" pushing for the legislation that created the whole S&L deregulation debacle? Yep -- that's the guy many Republicans think will bail us out of our current financial mess.

You may know that he played himself in his first film, Marie, starring Sissy Spacek. Both she and he are quite good in that one. I've heard rumors that the real-life scandal which gave rise to that film is connected, in a somewhat roundabout way, to the Martin Luther King assassination. I'll check out those claims and then report back to you...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Lorrie Morgan thing is old news. "Marie", from 1985, is based on the Blanton pardons scandal in 1978. Thompson plays himself in the movie. I'm from TN, and nothing will stick to that guy, in other words, he's pretty honest. If you want to bring him down, go after his anti-gun control, far right crap.

Anonymous said...

I'm not a big Thompson fan, but I strongly suspect that his wife is pregnant in the picture you have presented. They were married in 2002 and apparently had a child the following year.

Joseph Cannon said...

I'm not claiming anything improper about the Lorrie thing -- I just thought that the pattern was pretty amusing. And I'm not sure that history will go over well with female voters. It's pretty easy to guess what folks would say if Fred had a "D" next to his name. Of course, Republicans may do what Democrats may not.

As mentioned, I saw the film "Marie" and have read a few things (not enough things, alas) about the Blanton scandal. The (alleged) connection to the MLK assassination is not very direct.

Basically, according to the story I've heard -- and which I've yet to check out -- one of the guys who got a pardon was the same fellow who helped Jame Earl Ray get out of prison. Ray made his escape during the HSCA hearings, and if he had stayed out, he would not have been able to testify. The odd thing was that no-one could tell who had paid for the pardon of the man who helped Ray.

Let me stress: This is a tale I once heard orally, and thus it stands classified (in my mind) as RUMOR. For now. If anyone can confirm or debunk or add to this story, I'd love to hear more.

Anonymous said...

I see that Lorrie's got great thighs. Is that what you meant?