Saturday, February 17, 2007

Let us NOT reason together

By way of TPM, these words of Holy Joe Lieberman:
Even as our troops have begun to take Baghdad back step-by-step, there are many in this Congress who have nevertheless already reached a conclusion about the futility of America’s cause there, and declared their intention to put an end to this mission not with one direct attempt to cutoff funds, but step by political step. No matter what the rhetoric of this resolution, that is the reality of the moment. This non-binding measure before us is a first step toward a constitutional crisis that we can and must avoid...
He's right. A moment of crisis is here. More than that: The people want crisis and confrontation.
The potential for a constitutional crisis here and now is real, with congressional interventions, presidential vetoes, and Supreme Court decisions. If there was ever a moment for nonpartisan cooperation to agree on a process that will respect both our personal opinions about this war and our nation’s interests over the long term, this is it.

We need to step back from the brink and reason together, as Scripture urges us to do, about how we will proceed to express our disagreements about this war.
If you oppose a war, the only moral option is to do everything you can to stop it. The Republicans -- and we should now place Lieberman in that category, at least when the topic turns to the failed neocon project to steal Muslim oil -- never cared about respecting our opinions when they were in the majority. They never treated the anti-war viewpoint with any sort of respect.

Coulter, Malkin, Limbaugh and the Murdochian media have taught progressive writers to coarsen their dialogue, even if doing so was against their nature. In Congress, anti-war voices were treated like dog crap from 2001 to 2007. Now, the war-mongers should get as they gave.

The school bully has broken his arm. He can no longer oppress others or even defend himself. Naturally, the bully now claims that the time has come for civilized behavior. I say now is the time to kick his fucking teeth in.

You reap what you sow, Holy Joe.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

"...I say now is the time to kick his fucking teeth in."

Amen Sir, amen. The right wins far too often because they are not afraid to beat the crap out of those who oppose, and expose, their insanity.

Anonymous said...

"I say now is the time to kick his fucking teeth in."

Fucking-A right. They need to choke on their own goddamn medicine, for once (or as many times as it takes).

Anonymous said...

I lace up my steel toed boots as you speak. That Zionist warmonger worm, he pledges to the Star of David before the Stars and Stripes.
Land and oil for Israel no matter how many young American soldiers get ground up in this meat grinder and blood bath of an illegal and fraudulent war.

Anonymous said...

"We need to step back from the brink and reason together, as Scripture urges us to do, about how we will proceed to express our disagreements about this war."

I wonder which scriptures Holy Joe is talking about? Does he mean the words of the Old Testament God -- the self-described "jealous God" who deals in violent death, retribution and intolerance?

Or is he now invoking Jesus as a justification for U.S. foreign policy and its invasions of choice?

Somebody call Pat Robertson and find out....

Anonymous said...

I think that reasoning together stuff doesn't mean what Holy Joe thinks it means. A little googling shows that it's from Isaiah 1:18 and is part of a vision by the prophet Isaiah, depicting God as one righteously pissed-off dude. It's a good passage and well worth reading under present circumstances. (In the version quoted below, what is often rendered as "reason" is more accurately translated as "argue out"):

10 Listen to the LORD, you leaders of Israel! Listen to the law of our God, people of Israel. You act just like the rulers and people of Sodom and Gomorrah.

11 "I am sick of your sacrifices," says the LORD. "Don't bring me any more burnt offerings! I don't want the fat from your rams or other animals. I don't want to see the blood from your offerings of bulls and rams and goats.

12 Why do you keep parading through my courts with your worthless sacrifices?

13 The incense you bring me is a stench in my nostrils! Your celebrations of the new moon and the Sabbath day, and your special days for fasting--even your most pious meetings--are all sinful and false. I want nothing more to do with them.

14 I hate all your festivals and sacrifices. I cannot stand the sight of them!

15 From now on, when you lift up your hands in prayer, I will refuse to look. Even though you offer many prayers, I will not listen. For your hands are covered with the blood of your innocent victims.

16 Wash yourselves and be clean! Let me no longer see your evil deeds. Give up your wicked ways.

17 Learn to do good. Seek justice. Help the oppressed. Defend the orphan. Fight for the rights of widows.

18 "Come now, let us argue this out," says the LORD. "No matter how deep the stain of your sins, I can remove it. I can make you as clean as freshly fallen snow. Even if you are stained as red as crimson, I can make you as white as wool.

19 If you will only obey me and let me help you, then you will have plenty to eat.

20 But if you keep turning away and refusing to listen, you will be destroyed by your enemies. I, the LORD, have spoken!"

21 See how Jerusalem, once so faithful, has become a prostitute. Once the home of justice and righteousness, she is now filled with murderers.

22 Once like pure silver, you have become like worthless slag. Once so pure, you are now like watered-down wine.

23 Your leaders are rebels, the companions of thieves. All of them take bribes and refuse to defend the orphans and the widows.

24 Therefore, the Lord, the LORD Almighty, the Mighty One of Israel, says, "I will pour out my fury on you, my enemies!

25 I will turn against you. I will melt you down and skim off your slag. I will remove all your impurities.

26 Afterward I will give you good judges and wise counselors like the ones you used to have. Then Jerusalem will again be called the Home of Justice and the Faithful City."