Saturday, January 13, 2007

Bear hug from a big cat

A non-political post for the week-end: In Cali, Columbia, a grateful lion gives a massive hug and kiss to his rescuer.
Ana Julia Torres, who runs the Villa Lorena animal shelter in Cali, fed and nursed Jupiter the African lion back to health years ago after it was found abused and emaciated in a traveling circus.
My question is simple. How do you get close enough to a starving lion to perform a rescue? (Maybe Tippi Hedrin or Melanie Griffith could offer pointers...)

As a small boy, I separated from my friends during a visit to Jungleland and stood just a few feet from the lion cages. I'll never forget the echoing roars as they fed. The zoo personnel were nuts to allow a tyke such close access. (Around the same time, one of those very beasts mauled Jayne Mansfield's son.)

I'd never do what Ms. Torres does in this photo.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Cannon, when I saw this on tv I smiled. I believe that some people and some animals bond and this is a truly fascinating show of that. I do think that lion and that human trust each other that much, and that speaks volumes about that human being. The world should take a lesson.

Anonymous said...

Even though I called my cat-loving roommate over to the computer to get her opinion that the lion is, as her rescuer reports, hugging said rescuer in a sincere and non-agressive fashion, um...I think the lion looks like it's about to eat that nice lady.

I love me some kitties. Even the big, totally wild ones. But AAAAUUUUGGGGHHHH. That hug was CRAZY.

Anonymous said...

Lions and tigers and chimps, oh my...

Anonymous said...

What a sweetheart!! :)

...They would probably perform a rescue by throwing some food to the lion, allowing it to digest, and then using a tranquilizer gun to put him under before transporting him to safer digs. This is much the same way as you might do with any other starving animal. One of my kitties (who is no longer starving) is sitting on my mouse as I try to write this post. Meow!

Kim in PA

Anonymous said...

"The lion shall lie down with the lamb, but the lamb won't get much sleep." Woody Allen