Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Two cheers for Tony Blair

Blair's obsequious attitude toward Bush puzzles many people. Was blackmail involved? Not a shred of evidence backs that suggestion, which hasn't stopped many from wondering.

The blog Welcome to Pottersville reminds us that, on questions of economic fairness, Blair has practiced a relatively enlightened form of governance -- very enlightened, when compared to what Bush has done to the U.S. Every time I've seen Blair taking domestic policy questions from Members of Parliament, I've thought: "This guy's okay." And then the topic would turn to Iraq, and my thoughts took a very different turn.

Blair will be remembered as Britain's answer to LBJ, the president who gave us the Civil Rights Act, the war on poverty -- and Vietnam.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

No, I didn't remind anyone of anything. Paul Krugman did. I just rescue him from behind the firewall from time to time.

Anonymous said...

I seem to recall reading just after the bombings in the UK subways that he was given a positon on Carlyles(sp?) board.

You might want to Google it to confirm.

I thought about that for a long time.