Friday, August 25, 2006

Mean Jean

I'm sure you recall Mean Jean Schmidt, the Ohio Republican congressjerk who called Jack Murtha a coward. Not long ago, she was reprimanded for saying on her website that she possessed two college degrees when in fact she had achieved but one.

Now there are questions regarding a photo of a 1993 marathon in which she participated. The clock visible in the shot reads 3:19:06, a remarkable time which would place her among the top finishers. But according to this AP story, a contemporary news account giving a list of the top finishers does not mention Schmidt.

Her attorney insists that she came in fifth. He says he has documentation to prove it.

Schmidt's opponent in the upcoming race, Nathan Noy, suggests that the photo reproduced above may have been doctored -- just like her academic record. Noy wonders why she isn't casting a shadow.

I know a thing or two about Photoshop, and I have to say that this image looks pretty damned persuasive to me. The shadow would be blocked by the runners ahead of her.

However, changing the time on the clock would be an easy matter -- as I have attempted to demonstrate here.

My guess is that Schmidt really did run the race, and really did pull off a remarkable time. Which means that we know one thing for sure: Jean Schmidt was very fit.

So why didn't she sign up for the military, as Murtha did? If she's such a staunch defender of the military virtues, why did she not lend her services to the army? Is it possible that she failed to do so because she feared that Reagan or Bush I might send her into harm's way?

COWARD!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Jean Schmidt is very fit and is an outstanding runner. That is the only nice thing I can say about her. Having run the Columbus Marathon 3 times, I know it's flat and fast. The female winners will come in around 2:20 to 2:30; the top males around 2:10 or so, I believe. So Jean did not place in the top five overall wineers, or even in the top female winners. She most likely would have placed in the top 5 in her age category, which at that time would have been 40-45. Her attire in that picture is nothing like what I've seen her wear at races, though she could have changed her style over the years. But while I know she's fast and she's run many marathons, that picture looks fishy to me. I don't know, though, why she would have to fake a finish when she really is very accomplished.