Sunday, July 02, 2006

Reality-based reading

dr. elsewhere here

I never really had much of an opinion of Ron Suskind either way, likely because I admit I never really read too much of his work, or if I did, I didn't notice.

Until, of course, his seminal piece in The New York Times Sunday magazine piece on Bush and his administration, Without a Doubt, wherein was first reported the phrase and notion of the "reality-based community."

But I also admit I have not read his books, not from lack of interest, but from lack of time. Simple as that.

I also don't watch enough C-SPAN, but sometimes try to catch the bookspan fare on weekends.

Well. I happened to turn it on today just as Suskind was about to present his pitch for his new book, The One-Percent Doctrine, and I have to tell you, it was one of the most knowledgeable, emotional, impassioned, dramatic, and patriotic appearances I have ever seen from a bookstore podium. Cannot recommend it enough; some fascinating stories from the book, as well as incisive analysis and perspective.

Oh. About that "reality-based community" quote. I would love more than chocolate and music combined to be able to get Suskind to tell us just who it was who actually uttered those words. To refresh:
The aide said that guys like me were "in what we call the reality-based community," which he defined as people who "believe that solutions emerge from your judicious study of discernible reality." I nodded and murmured something about enlightenment principles and empiricism. He cut me off. "That's not the way the world really works anymore," he continued. "We're an empire now, and when we act, we create our own reality. And while you're studying that reality -- judiciously, as you will -- we'll act again, creating other new realities, which you can study too, and that's how things will sort out. We're history's actors . . . and you, all of you, will be left to just study what we do."


I have of course already put my love of chocolate and music on the line here, but I'd be willing to bet the farm (good money won't work; ain't got enough) it was Rove. Had to be Rove. Don't it sound just like something he'd say? Even the way he says it?

So, if any of you out there get the chance to catch Suskind doing his book tour, do not miss it. And don't forget to ask my question. I can promise you chocolate and a song; the farm's in my dreams.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

so many times I have heard Dan Barlett say that same thing in not those words. " we create our own reality" is a new age religious statement whether the world wants to acknowledge it or not. These people are a brand of religious fanatics in their own rite.

Milo Johnson said...

I think it was Dan Senor, myself. The phrasing is a lot like some other quotes of his that I've seen.