Wednesday, July 05, 2006

July 4

Yesterday, as I mulled over how to describe my Independence Day activities, I considered stretching the truth a bit. In fact, I originally planned to write a long post titled "How Hollywood celebrates the Fourth." The program would have read like every red stater's worst nightmare:

Vendors selling Aborted-Fetus-On-a-Stick...the Gay Men's Chorus singing "The Internationale"...Osama Bin Laden's face in fireworks...Free LSD...hooded figures dancing around a dark altar...Hillary Clinton circling overhead on her broomstick...

You know. All the things you'd expect.

But I had to forego that description, because what actually happened was even weirder.

In Warner Center Park, just before the fireworks display, a singer-plus-band belted out a spirited rendition of the title song from Jesus Christ Superstar: "JEE-zus Christ! JEE-zus Christ! WHO are you? WHAT have you SACrificed?" This was followed by "I Don't Know How to Love Him" -- sung by a dude, mind you -- followed by "Don't Cry For Me Argentina." Then the fireworks. The mixture of Peronism and lachymorose Jesusism seemed oddly appropos for George Bush's America.

Well. No way any product of my imagination could top that show.

So how surreal was your Independence Day?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Not sure anyone can top that Joseph. As for me, I wondered all day exactly what the country was currently independent from. And I couldn't think of much.

Miss P.

BTW, Ken Lay dies in Aspen? Of a heart attack? Well, I guess we are at least independent of him now. Will his wife get the money he's supposed to pay back?

Anonymous said...

Things were independently normal at the beach in Florida. Got all the kids, threw um in the back of the pick up truck (http://www.physics.sfsu.edu/~dlamenti/pie.html) and got to the ocean just in time to see the shuttle take off. Fire in the sky.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, my ID? Weird, and not in the good way.

But hey, Roger Ebert lives and Ken Lay "dies." That's a fair trade, if you ask me.

Sort of. By the by, Joe, I expect some seriously appealing CT analyzing the possibility that Ken Lay faked his own death--when you get the chance, that is. I have this feeling that the rest of the week might be super busy.

Anonymous said...

plenty of the white unmarked airplanes cruising my neighborhood right smack dab over ya house... some 4th of July... ours is surveilled for safety I guess

Anonymous said...

Do you think rumors of Ken Lay's death are premature, Joseph? Ot maybe not. Either way, this story was surprisingly slow to hit the news.
Kim in PA

Anonymous said...

Correction: OR maybe not...

Kim in PA