Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Great American Blues

dr. elsewhere here

A Southern girl I am, but an ex-pat to the infinitely more civilized communities (if not clime) of this region where our republic was born, defended, and defined. (I know, I know; I promised a sendup of the South some time ago, but there is just so much time and so much going on, agreed? At some point, I still promise....)

Anyway, during the insanity that followed the 2000 election, I found myself in the thick of blues country in a very very red state. Bush was juggling his press and court maneuvers, and I was getting an up close and personal view of the underbelly of that beast otherwise known as rightwingnut Americana. One of these gems (and she is truly a gem, a darlin' adorable girl) showed me - with all that requisite excitement and "gotcha" conviction - a map of the US counties all painted up in its RED and blue.

You know how those look. All those vast, open, gun & Bible totin' RED counties look mighty imposing compared to those pinched and cramped blue ones. Interestingly, were I color-blind (double entendre intended), the map might take on the more Blue-Gray shades of a latter day Civil War. Telling.

But, of course, this lovely impassioned Southern belle jar could not actually absorb the absurdity (let alone any subtle implications) of this meaningless map, but that is the "right" way, right?

So, imagine my delight in coming across this map of the US counties and their currently designated colors. Not only are the densely packed coastal and urban areas BLUER than the sea, but almost the entire country's got the BLUES!!

Sort of makes me inclined - with a huge dose of irony and my tongue deeply embedded in my cheek - to resurrect that old rightwing cry from the Cold War:

BETTER DEAD THAN RED!!!

4 comments:

j said...

My fear is the Democratic Party still believes they can go out and win elections like in the days before computer vote stealing machines. This isn't a rhetorical question. I really don't know. Is there apoint where the Republicans can't get away with rigging the '06 election because too many people would catch on?

sunny said...

Hey doc-I'm a southern girl too, born and bred. I'm of two minds-of my home region and state (Alabama):
http://www.fuckthesouth.com/

But my hometown? I wouldn't trade the dirt roads, down-home country folk who wouldn't hurt a fly, moss-draped oaks, or lazy old Dog River for anything.

Anonymous said...

donne, you're absolutely right to be concerned that there has not been enough attention to the vote stealing bent of the repugs, especially the machines. but that is turning, little by little, and we can do more than hope; we can raise hell about it.

sunny!! i do believe i suspected you were a southern sister from one of your comments! so, we have now these things in common: fitz in our futures and alabama in our past!

sunny said...

Doc, if my whole damn family didn't live here, I swanee I'd move to Massy-tusitts!

Er-maybe California; I can't take weather below 45 degrees.