Monday, April 24, 2006

Nukin' the Net

dr. elsewhere here

Not long ago I posted a piece on the threat against the Net coming to the House as a bill that will essentially destroy cable companies' responsibility for public service as our Public Access Channels, as well as allow the big media companies to charge for "premium" sites.

I realize that I emphasized the issue about public access channels and did not bring up the implications for general internet use, exposing my bias. But, everyone is finally recognizing the importance of this bill, including Josh and tpmcafe (with links to two sites devoted to this cause here and here), dailykos, atrios, mydd, firedoglake, and Avarosis.

In short, the bill acts upon the notion that the internet does not fall under telecommunications law that requires network neutrality. The bill is designed to give cable megacorporations even more power over the internet, starting with the power to slow down access to competitor sites.

We've become so accustomed to the net we take for granted that each site we access is as fast and easy as any other, and the content is driven by we, the users. But with this bill, the cable companies will decide how fast or slow access will be to each site, and what content will influence those speeds. It will quickly look a whole lot more like cable TV.

Do I have your attention now? Consider just for a moment how vastly different is our experience of the web versus our experience of cable. Does ANYONE out there even hardly ever watch TV? Remember 57 channels and nothing on? Try 250 with less than nothing on!!

This is very very serious, folks, and it is hitting the House floor tomorrow evening at 5 PM EST, to be debated on Wednesday. Please, PLEASE, contact your Congressional representative and let them know, with both barrels, just how you feel about this privatization of our communication access.

The future of the internets depends on it!


3 comments:

Joseph Cannon said...

Look to the right side of this page, and you'll see that I have placed contact numbers for all the members of the House Energy and Commerce Committee who are undecided. A lot of them are Dems and presumably these can be turned.

I called each and every one of them. I did so after hours (no extra charges on the cel phone, y'see), which meant I left answering machine messages. All you need to do is say "Please keep the internet the way it is." Boom. That's it. No need to identify yourself further. No need to harangue or bore anyone.

If you call during business hours tomorrow, you may end up speaking to an actual person. Just say "Tell the congressman(-woman) to keep the internet the way it is." Then hang up.

If you want to be tricky, dial *67 before you dial the number. That way, when they look at their phone logs, they won't be able to tell whether or not the call came from a constituent.

If you are a small business owner, you may want to mention that. Net neutrality allows the small business guy to compete with the big boys. If you have ANY business-related web-page -- even if you sell arts and crafts -- you can make this approach.

We can win this one if thousands of people call these numbers tomorrow or tomorrow night. Wednesday is too late.

Anonymous said...

Joseph! hurry and tell us about your meeting with Feingold! I can't wait!

Anonymous said...

Hey, Joe. Contacted my Rep. via email last night (didn't see your comment about calling until now), a Democratic long timer, and asked him to fight to preserve net neutrality. I mentioned how the net was the true democracy, giving everyone an opportunity to be heard. I mentioned I have been a long time supporter of his, and would like to continue to be so. But this issue is very important, and my future support (votes) would hinge on it. Then I politely thanked him for his time.

I got two replies directly from his office. The first was a form mail, saying they can't reply to all emails due to volume, and many not from constituents, etc., but the second was a personal reply, thanking me for writing, and asking me to contact him in the future on issues that are important to me.

I also have a Senator that is up for re-election this year, but he is farther up Bush's backside than any proctologist has ever been. If I told him (a Republican) that failing to preserve net neutrality would hurt the little guy, this pro-corporate (expletive) would be assured to vote against net neutrality.

I wish I had known calling might make a bigger difference, but as I don't have a cell phone, or a good long distance plan, I may not have been able to do it. But I hope my little effort helped some.

Still, I would urge people to keep calling, even early Wednesday morning. If their voicemail boxes fill up, they'll know it's a big (possibly job-costing) issue. There are groups on the right and the left supporting leaving the net as it is. Mention the appropriate support to whomever you contact. Tell a liberal that Moveon supports net neutrality. Tell a conservative the Gun Owners Of America supports net neutrality. Let them know this issue matters to THEIR base.