Monday, March 06, 2006

Oscars

Believe it or not, a couple of my correspondents have asked for my opinion of the Oscarcast. Alas, I'm not sure what to say. Despite my film buff past, I did not see many films in 2005. Ticket prices have risen, and I was not prosperous.

I did catch Munich, a film nearly everyone seems to have misunderstood. People who hate Israel took it as pro-Israeli propaganda, while neocons despised it for portraying the Palestinians as human beings. I saw it as a film about the meaning of family -- which was also the theme of this year's other Spielberg film, War of the Worlds. I'm fascinated that he would overlay that theme on such unlikely subject matter, twice in the same year.

I'll have much more to say about Munich soon, perhaps tomorrow. As always, there is a little-known backstory which has gone unaddressed by the "experts" pontificating on the film and the real-life events which inspired it.

I did not see Crash or Capote or Brokeback Mountain. I'm not sure I want to see a love story about gay cowboys, but only because I'm pretty bored by all love stories these days, no matter who the participants might be.

The montage of previous "gay" Western moments was inspired. In case you're wondering, the hilarious final clip -- the one depicting Gregory Peck and a bare-chested Charlton Heston -- was from an epic called The Big Country.

Jon Stewart started off a tad awkwardly. He had trouble finding the right pace. (Many have observed that his monologue worked much better in the house than on the tube.) But he warmed to his task as the evening progressed; I would like to see him do this job again.

In his acceptance speech, George Clooney hit precisely the right note, injecting a hint of political commitment without alienating the audience. This is the way to win over those who've had propaganda injected into their craniums by daily exposure to the radio right.

I sure wished that the Enron documentary had won. On the other hand, I like penguins.

Frankly, I never cared for the work of Robert Altman. Three Women struck me as fetchingly strange and rather moving, and Secret Honor is catnip for Watergate buffs. But his visual style -- an eye-level camera swaying back and forth, occasionally going in for a sloppy zoom -- always repulsed me. I've seen surveillance footage with more creativity. The improvisatory acting in his films (brilliantly parodied by Lily Tomlin and Meryl Streep during the ceremony) may seem exciting and innovative to some, but I never lost my mind over it. Even so, I am looking forward to Prairie Home Companion.

By the way, it's no secret that Altman was one of the biggest stoners in Hollywood. During his acceptance speech, he seemed pretty damned alert and spry for a guy in his 80s. Those looking for evidence of marijuana's deleterious health effects will have to search elsewhere.

Is there anything else to say?

6 comments:

Political Vandal said...

You forgot to mention the halarious 'commericals' that mocked the political advertisments.

Anonymous said...

Three Women? I thought I was the only person on the planet even knew of that film. I'd love to see it again with perspective, but last time I checked it wasn't even available on video.

Didn't Altman develop a coke habit back in the 80's? I thought there was a sly reference to that in the Tomlin/Streep routine, something about his bleeding nose...

Anyway, Hollywood, as far as I know, hasn't made a truly great movie since Unforgiven and Groundhog Day. By Truly Great, I mean a film you can watch over and over, seeing something new every time. If I'm wrong, please clue me in.

Joy Tomme said...

Is there anything else to say? How about it was the most boring Academy Awards show in years, Jon Stewart actually bombed, and the Academy is getting sillier every year. It couldn't even find a way to give the big award to Capote, Good Night Good Luck or Brokeback, which deserved it, so gave it to Crash.

I expect next year someone will make a grade-B movie about gay construction workers and the Academy will give its big award to that movie as an apology for not giving it to Brokeback this year.

The art deco set was spectacular though.

Joy Tomme
Ratbang Diary at: http://ratbangdiary.blogspot.com

Joseph Cannon said...

"Is there anything else to say? How about it was the most boring Academy Awards show in years, Jon Stewart actually bombed, and the Academy is getting sillier every year."

When did I first read a variant of these words? Methinks it was 1969. Every year since, commentators have felt obligated to say the exact same thing in the exact same way.

Ah, tradition! Thanks, Joy, for rembering to do the honors. An Oscarcast without those morning-after sentiments would be like Christmas without holly.

(By the way, my fellow fossils will recall that 1969 was the year when Raquel Welch, wearing almost nothing, announced "I am here for Special Effects. I have two of them...")

Anonymous said...

Actually I thought the opening of the oscars was hilarious where a short film of previous Oscar hosts were filmed in various states.

My favorite was showing Billy Crystal with Chris rock from inside of a camping tent.

The camping tent is shown with the flaps down and then Billy Crystal's unshaven face emerges as he pulls back on flap and he says he's busy right now and then Chris Rock pulls back the second flap and says he's busy too--a parody of a scene from a gay cowboy movie.

also liked the opening montage of Oscar greats.

yes I thought the Academy chickened out with giving best picture to Crash instead of BrokeBack Mountain. The Academy was afraid they would appear too homosexual if they gave best film to a gay cowboy movie and that the far right extremists would boycott all hollywwod films.

Also I thought it was terrible that best actress went to Witherspoon for her good performance as June Carter in a so-so move about Johnny Cash's life "walk the line". Dame Judi Dench more than deserved best oscar but didn't get it because she's the grande dame of English theatre and too old. Dench can act so much more with just one hand gesture than cutsey Whitherspoon in 5 movies. shame on the Academy on that. Yes I know she's cute, blonde but she's AMERICAN VAPID.

anon from SF

Anonymous said...

Ah, Joe. Nice review. I am so happy that at least one other person I "know" saw Munich.