Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Memory Holes

dr. elsewhere here
Ok. Here's the deal.

We all know just how absurd the Scooter's "dog ate my homework/I was so busy" defense is. But, I gotta tell ya...

I did a post-doc and then further research at Harvard with the guy Team Libby has hired as their "memory" expert. Dan Schachter. Extremely nice guy. Very capable, hard-working, objective kind of guy. Great researcher. GREAT researcher.

But, I gotta tell ya, I have NO earthly idea how he is going to present this with regard to Libby's defense. I mean, sure, when you're busy and under stress we all forget things. But only things that don't matter. Only things that don't have an emotional/survival component involved. Only things that you're not forced to pay attention to.

But come on, people! Not only was this issue absolutely at the top of Libby's priority list in the spring of 03, but are we really supposed to believe that he was not paying enough attention, or that it wasn't important enough, when he testified before the Grand Jury?

I couldn't care less about Libby's defense, and hope with all my heart that Fitz knows enough to get a good counter-expert (hell, even I know enough about memory to render Libby's defense Swiss cheese). But I actually have to say that I fear for Dan, as he does not deserve to lose his reputation over this scumbag.

3 comments:

Joy Tomme said...

Here's the thing. Your friend does deserve to lose his job and reputation over defending Libby.

There are things that all of us have decided we will do and things that we won't do when push comes to shove.

I would never defend anyone in the Bush administration (either professionally or in conversation). Your friend has decided he will defend Libby.

Years ago I worked at the King Korn Stamp Company (trading stamps like green stamps) in Chicago. For some reason the corporate President decided we all should take a Loyalty Oath. Most of the people signed the piece of paper. I said, Over my dead body, and I knew I might get fired...but what the hell. I didn't get fired. Still, there are some things you will do and some things you won't. And then you have to take the consequences.

Joy Tomme
http://ratbangdiary.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Amen, Joy.

Anonymous said...

joy and unirealist,

first of all, i can hardly say this fella is a 'friend,' as i have not even seen him in years, and even then it was almost strictly research-related (and i am counting the occasional 'function' as research-related).

second, though, he cannot lose his job. he is tenured, and that is as it should be (yet another one of those things even liberals have to ask themselves could they tolerate it if the situation were reversed).

third, his reputation is another matter. i have no idea on earth what the circumstances of his contract are. technically, whenever an expert is hired, it is with the understanding that they will be objective and that they have no invested stake in the outcome of the case. if libby came to me and asked me to be his expert, i have to tell you i would not refuse to do that.

however, i would also hasten to tell him that, though i'd be happy to be his expert witness, he should not count on my testimony to necessarily be beneficial to his defense.

when i am asked to do expert work, this is the overt understanding. and throughout the preparation of the case, when i am asked, i am brutally honest with the folks who have hired me.

but i have no clue how he was selected, and what he said in response. presumably, it's all as kosher as i've described the demands to be.

and hell, for all i know he's a flaming redcoat bush fanatic, though clearly he is not of the christian right.

still, i'm with you in the thrust of your principles here. i would, in this case, no more agree to participate in this man's defense than i would kill children. he of course could take the position that each of us is innocent until proven guilty and deserves a fair and honest trial. principled in itself, actually.

i hope to have some more stuff to say about all this in a future post, after i refresh my, er, memory on the details of his work. but thanks for the comments.