Monday, January 23, 2006

Leonardo da Vinci in court: Ramdom esoteric mutterings...

I haven't posted on a non-political topic in weeks, so you'll have to bear with...

My lady and I are re-reading the esoteric classic Holy Blood, Holy Grail, which is a better book than many think. Fundamentalists despise the work because it suggests, toward the end, that Jesus not only had a penis but used it. To me, that was always the boring part. I like the weird historical stuff in the middle section -- the stuff that no fundie ever talks or cares about: The Cathars, Rene d'Anjou, Charles Radclyffe, Sir Isaac Newton, Nodier...

Of course, we know a great deal more these days about the Priory of Zion, which appears to be a latter-day fantasy concocted by right-wing French esotericists with dreams of aristocracy. That affectation is common among occultists -- Aleister Crowley, for example, loved to be called Sir Aleister Crowley, a title he never earned. (I've long suspected that Ian Fleming used his friend Crowley as the model for his arch-fiend Blofeld, who also had pretenses of nobility.)

Still, HBHG remains a lot of fun. It is careful to label speculation as such, and it does present some genuinely original research. These are virtues possessed by few other works in the genre.

HBHG also gave rise, in part, to Dan Brown's inaccurate-but-lovable page-turner The Da Vinci Code, the film version of which is slated to open in the middle of March.

Two of the authors of HBHG -- Michael Baigent and Richard Leigh -- are now suing Brown. This, despite the fact that Brown's bestseller helped renew sales of their own book. Obviously, the two plaintiffs want a piece of the film action.

Leigh looks like a biker: Leather jacket, dark glasses, smokes on camera... I'm not too surprised to see an aggressive move on his part.

The primary author of the orignal work, Henry Lincoln, is not party to the suit. He now seems disdainful of the book that made him famous. For some years, he has pursued a theory that ancient monuments in France and elsewhere are arranged according to geometrical patterns. There seems to be something to this claim -- but I'm not sure what!

I mention the upcoming court case because -- although I wish Leigh and Baigent well in all other respects -- I hope they lose this case. A writer of fiction should not have to share his earnings with the non-fiction writers whose research inspired his work. Otherwise, the fellow who wrote the play Give 'Em Hell Harry would have had to share royalties with everyone who had ever written a Truman biography.

Incidentally, even those who have read HBHG usually do not know that, way back in the 1960s, Henry Lincoln wrote the screenplay for Boris Karloff's final film, The Crimson Cult. I saw that one in the theater, when I was barely past tyke-hood. And I'll never forget it. First time I ever saw an actual naked lady on screen. She was the lovely Virginia Wetherell, best known for her role in A Clockwork Orange ("She came toward me...") -- and there's an hilarious story about Stanley Kubrick and her which used to be on the net but isn't anymore.

Ahem. I seem to have wandered from my topic. Forgive me. Some memories are pleasant.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Speaking of pleasant memories...

Joe,
Your comments concerning the re-reading of HBHG reminded me of how I first became aware of the book. More years ago than I care to reveal I was staying in a small town motel room in California on a film shoot. I had turned on the TV to see what sort of toupee the local weatherman was wearing in this particular town and to find out if rain was expected for the following day. Coming from the Midwest, it's a habit. Flipping around the dial the image of a white bearded cigar chomping sartor-like face appeared. It was obviously some sort of televangelist (with a cigar!) I was about to unceremoniously flip him off the channel when I overheard the phrase "King Arthur and the Holy Grail" mentioned. Curious, I left the channel on - for the next two hours. This was the strangest evangelist I had ever heard. He held forth on a veritable smorgasbord of topics ranging from Homer's Odyssey, Atlantis, UFO's to the great pyramid. Finally he settled into his topic: Holy Blood Holy Grail. He spoke of many strange things, like Christ's bloodline, the Pope's war on the Cathars and how these secrets which determined the reign of French kings and the fate of the Vatican had been hidden by an obscure country priest in southern France. Well, I had been hooked. This was even better than Robert Anton Wilson! As soon as I got home I bought the book and became more enthralled with it than any novel. I understand that Gene Scott died last February. I did manage to see him on some television or other a few years ago. All he was doing was appealing for money - no pyramid texts, Stonehenge, crusaders, Priory of Zion, just money. I guess that's how they all end up. I will never forget Dr. Scott, certainly the most interesting televangelist I ever saw. To this day I have never figured where he was coming from ../or where he was going. Beam him up: Dr. Scotty!

Bob Boldt
Jefferson City, MO

Joseph Cannon said...

Dr. Gene. I remember him well. He held forth form his enclave just outside Forest Lawn. Over the years he just got nuttier and nuttier and nuttier. I really miss him!

Anonymous said...

There is another line of thinking regarding Jesus Christ - not that he had children before his death, but that he never actually existed.

There is an excellent DVD entitled "The God Who Wasn't There". I just bought the movie a week ago, and there is a lot of compelling information contained within the documentary, regarding historical accuracy.

The Los Angeles Times calls the DVD, "provocative - to put it mildly."

Sam Harris, author of the PEN award-winning book, The End of Faith, is interviewed in the film, along with notable history professors.

Definitely makes you wonder if Jesus even existed.

The website for the DVD is: http://www.thegodmovie.com/

IMDB's message board for the movie has some amazing dialog between folks who believe Jesus never existed and those who do.

Definitely something to think about during all the hype of Dan's Brown's book and the accompanying movie, directed by Ron Howard.

Anonymous said...

If 'holy blood, holy grail' is fiction. They deserve to be paid. I would think that that would come up in court.

Remember it was $$ that made professional wrestling 'entertainment'.

Anonymous said...

Did Jesus exist? An Italian court is deciding that right now.

Associate Press
Jan. 27, 2006

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11057077/

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060127/ap_on_re_eu/did_jesus_exist


VITERBO, Italy - An Italian judge heard arguments Friday on whether a small-town parish priest should stand trial for asserting that Jesus Christ existed....

And, here's the atheist who brought the suit:

http://www.luigicascioli.it/

And, the English version:
http://www.luigicascioli.it/home_eng.php